Valued Contributor

REVIEWS: Please post Judith Ripka April 2014 REVIEWS here... :)

Our yearly visitor, a beautifully vociferous Mockingbird, has been singing non-stop in search of his mate from all four corners of our yard here in SoCal. Sometimes he even stands on top of the street light pole in our parkway, leaps up and shows his impressive wingspan to attract attention, as if his singing isn't enough to do the job. He even sings through the night, lulling us to sleep with his unique brand of music. Yes, Springtime is indeed here!

The idea of this thread is simple: REVIEW AFTER REVIEW AFTER REVIEW. And if you already have your own single thread discussing a single JR design, please feel free to copy your single review post. Part two is that everything Judith Ripka counts, not just JRQ items. So if you find a JR creation at JudithRipka dot com, her boutiques, Sawgrass outlet (everything can be done easily online with friendly SAs who will email photos and prices), in elite department stores or their websites, please add those reviews, too. Also online sites including Sweepstreet, RuLaLa, Gilt, Last Call, Bluefly, or even SamsClub dot com. Plus independent stores and their online sites who carry JR. And, of course, possibly the most popular "Over There" (major auction site) and Ripkanista-to-Ripkanista trading.

If it is by JR, please review it and if you find something that goes great with JR, don't hesitate to add that, too. We are always looking for new ideas...

For JRQ items, please add the JRQ J-number. Now that Judith's inventory has peaked the 1,300 inventory number mark, it is nearly impossible to be sure which item you are reviewing without the J-number. This also allows Ripkanistas to open a second window with the JRQ product page for more info. Regarding the Q, all JR pieces are welcome: TSV, Lunchtime Specials (lots of those lately), OTOs, Insider, Limited Quantity, new designs, older classics, clearance, While Supplies Last, "As Is," and Last Clicks. Photos are welcome!

Let's make April a full month of reviews (talking to myself about this, too!)... Take care and thanks in advance for your participation~Peach

Super Contributor

Re: REVIEWS: Please post Judith Ripka April 2014 REVIEWS here... :)

Seriously? It wasn't even April when you started this thread. Are you trying to win a contest?

Take a breath. Give it a rest, already. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Valued Contributor

On 4/1/2014 ennui1 said:

Seriously? It wasn't even April when you started this thread. Are you trying to win a contest?

Take a breath. Give it a rest, already. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Ennui1~Ooops, it was 10PM Eastern Standard Time, two hours early... Have a nice day~Peach

Honored Contributor

Peachie ~ I didn't buy anything....just wanted to say ""Hi!"" DH has his court hearing some time this month....he doesn't know anything yet! I hope you are healthy happy and well!

~ Mick Smiley Happy

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Valued Contributor

Now, let's get back to the business of reviews...

Ripkanistas~ Anyone have a review to contribute? I'll be back shortly with a couple today.

Thank-you~Peach

PS~Anyone notice the big news about Judith? She sold her company to Xcel Brands (they also own the Isaac Mizrahi brand and have interest in Liz Claiborne New York--two big sellers on the Q) for $22.5 million and some stock shares. Judith is staying on as Master Designer. Looks like it was just announced this morning and posted online about an hour ago. WOW!

Valued Contributor

On 4/4/2014 MickD said:

Peachie ~ I didn't buy anything....just wanted to say "Hi!" DH has his court hearing some time this month....he doesn't know anything yet! I hope you are healthy happy and well!

~ Mick Smiley Happy

MickD, you know, you can review whatever you wish within your collection or "stuff" that goes with JR! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} Doesn't have to be new---am ridiculously behind myself. Am still ill with a lung bug and have the docs testing exactly what bug I have, plus a pulmonary test next week. There's a new test out there which will tell in an hour which of 17 different usual bacteria is causing the problem...but noooo, my docs say they have to wait and grow something in a petri dish. Sounds like grade school science class, right? Meanwhile, I have a cough so bad, being in public for any length of time is difficult.

I'll be sending good karma your and your DH's way for the hearing. Am still waiting myself to hear from our new city council if they are going to pay off on our case. Best wishes to you and thanks for posting! Take care~Peach

Valued Contributor

Finally, some actual reviews...

J291855 Square faceted Onyx and Diamonique button omegas

Grade: A-

Yea: Elegant, classic, rich design, perfect gems

Boo: a tad on the heavy side

Value (1=low; 10=high): 9

Gorgeous earrings for daytime and night if you can handle the weight

These are serious sparklers; for night they'll catch the light and for day, they'll class up a basic ensemble. No skimping on quality, gram weight and gemstones for these timeless 3/4" by 3/4" by 1/4" deep button omegas.

JR centers pitch black faceted 1/4" by 1/4" Onyx, bordering it with double rows of roping and finally, double rows of DMQ (1.9 ctw.), finishing off the sides with matte-satin slant Berge. Geometrics are further enhanced with strong rope-outlined DMQ prongs stretching from the four corners to the center Onyx directing the eye to the focal point of the earring. The back is finished as well with a squared, cut-out undergallery and strong, thick-enough posts placed in the center of the earring for balance. Still, a plastic clutch might be needed to be placed over the post for most support against falling forward on the lobe.

These earrings also have a matching enhancer (J273747) and ring (look for it in secondary markets). Currently going in and out of stock at the Q, the price is excellent as is the over-all quality (as in fine quality from five years ago). Best time to check is on Sunday morning after all the inventory has been adjusted from the previous week. They also have been popping up Over There (major auction site) so keep checking.

If you are a Ripkanista with a mostly-black wardrobe like myself, these are fantastic!~Peach

Super Contributor

Hi Peach, I am not a Ripkanista, however, I own the dewdrop necklace in silver and receive plenty of compliments whenever I wear it. I have had my eye on the country link necklace for a long time. Looks like it would work well with many of my enhancers (CP, Or Paz and Gorali). I also would like to wear it just on its own - without the little heart adornment. What do you think?

I sincerely hope that the quality of the line continues for all of you. Best, Haca

Valued Contributor

REVIEW: J274582 1" Diamonique skinny hoops with removable 7mm white button Pearl charms

Grade: B

Yea: Well-done basics for hoop and charm lovers; not too heavy!

Boo: "bumper" on hoops unnecessary

Value (1=low;10=high): 7.5

Always correct Ripkarized DMQ hoops and Pearl charms lend versatility to any earring collection

These are the earrings you pull out on those mornings when you want something that looks great in any situation, with almost anything you're wearing. They're the earrings that are a permanent fixture on the dressing table because no matter what, they always do the job.

Judith gives us a basic earring design and Ripkarizes it: 1" DMQ skinny hoops 1/16" wide, have satin slant Berge sides and her signature split-heart omega backing; 5/8" by 1/2" white button 7mm Pearl charms bordered in DMQ, rest on a 1/8" tall slant Berge platform and are backed with a cut-out Fleur de lis undergallery. JR also finishes the inside of the hoop, leaving openings for each of the DMQ stones (.5 ctw.) to gather light. Posts are the non-bendy type, thank goodness. Only slight nitpicking is that the hoops have bumpers to stop the charms just past a 6 'o clock position. The movement of the charms is, well, one of the charms of having them on hoops and since nothing can fall off the earrings, not needed IMHO.

Versatility comes with wearing these lightweight hoops alone or with the Pearl charms or with other charms in your collection. The hoop is thin enough that it should fit nearly every charm out there with the exception of those charms that come on thin wires with tiny openings. With the charms on the hoops weight of the two together takes you into JR mid-weight category, not heavy, not light. You're aware of them, but that isn't a bad thing.

While I'm not jumping for joy over these hoops and Pearl charms, just like my favorite black skirt or jeans, I am very glad to have them to play with in my JR collection. These would make a solid gift, too. Pierced AND clip. Still available on the Q and occasionally Over There. ~Peach

Valued Contributor

On 4/4/2014 Haca said:

Hi Peach, I am not a Ripkanista, however, I own the dewdrop necklace in silver and receive plenty of compliments whenever I wear it. I have had my eye on the country link necklace for a long time. Looks like it would work well with many of my enhancers (CP, Or Paz and Gorali). I also would like to wear it just on its own - without the little heart adornment. What do you think?

I sincerely hope that the quality of the line continues for all of you. Best, Haca

Haca, what a nice post, thank-you!

First, just adding in the J-number of the Dew Drop, J156865 and Country Link, J275386. While most were in love with the Dew Drop, now about $360, the consensus on the Country Link, now $140, wasn't so great. As with the differences in price, there are differences in quality and gram weight. Dew Drop quality is stellar; Country Link is good. The new version of the Country Link is much lighter weight than the old one which surprised a lot of people. I don't think it is that lightweight, not flimsy or anything--just an open link necklace. If you are on board with the carved matte satin rhodium-plated finish and don't expect it to be shiny, it is quite a practical necklace.

Also, I like mixing various enhancers with different finishes than the chain. If you want the enhancer to match the chain's finish, that could be an issue. If not, this chain should be fine. It is also nice that the attached heart enhancer (push open the bale) can be removed, or given away if that's not your style. I thought at some point JR was selling the little heart separately but I cannot find it online. I have noticed that some have been selling it Over There (major auction site). The heart quality is good. The Country Link will also be especially nice in warmer weather with the 1/4" open links.

I totally love the Dew Drop and in contrast think the Country Link is fine as a mix-and-match piece. Hope this helps your thinking and you might want to plow through the reviews on the product page as well because someone may come up with a thought that speaks to you in your decision-making.

Thanks again for your supportive post. JR is such a part of my daily life that I must admit, I am, at least, a little worried about the changes. Take care~Peach