Respected Contributor

Do you feel bad for your unworn jewelry?

Do you ladies do inventory of your pieces? Do you keep track of things that you buy? Do you wear everything? I started to feel very guilty about the jewelry pieces that I buy, wear once or twice and forget about. And then I see something pretty, get greedy and buy it. Hate myself for doing it. I honestly have enough for any life occasion and yet still bought another ring TSV Sleeping beauty yesterday . I will try to return it , because I also feel bad for my existing collection that love ,but do not wear as often as I should've. No Will power whatsoever ! I have almost 30-35 rings altogether! Way too many. Do you have similar situation?
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you feel bad for your unworn jewelry?

Are you saying that you feel bad because you are not wearing the jewelry you already have? Or that you are feeling bad for the jewelry?

I'm not quite getting your meaning.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

No. I would just feel bad about all the money I wasted if I had so much jewelry that I didn't even wear most of it.

Valued Contributor

On 3/2/2014 BonnieBelle said:

No. I would just feel bad about all the money I wasted if I had so much jewelry that I didn't even wear most of it.

This is how I feel!

Frequent Contributor

I totally get what you're saying and I do understand. I have more than enough.. but it is so hard to resist new things. The only thing i can say is to try to stop watching. I have felt guilty too about some purchases. Jewelry should bring us pleasure, not angst. I have decided tht something has to be so unique and special to buy it..or just fun costume jewelry like Joan Rivers.

I did buy the Carolyn Pollack cuff that was the tsv last week, and I honestly dont feel bad about that because I do feel like that was a special once in a lifetime piece. But I say its time to shop our jewelry boxes!

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Sanna. I understand what you are saying. I sold some jewelry I seldom wore two years ago and have been careful about my purchases since then. I do keep my jewelry organized in jewelry boxes. I have some lovely black onyx jewelry, but the black spinel turns my head. Then I have to remind myself -- you have some nice black onyx jewelry.... you don't need more black gems or stones. Same way with pearls. Bought some white, black and tuxedo pearls in Hawaii, plus have some Honora jewelry. But the advertised pearls turn my head. I have to turn my head back around! I have sensitive skin and don't wear metals that break my skin out, so I have an inventory of nice pieces for me and my daughters -- eventually. I keep telling myself -- do you want more jewelry or to take that trip to Scotland? I love jewelry, too. I get what you are saying.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Contributor

I find I go through stages and will be not using some pieces as my ""go to"" jewelry. That is when I rehome things through the Bay.

Super Contributor

Oh gosh! I have SO MUCH and I never wear it.... I try not to think about it all and all the many many thousands I spent on it all over the last 15 years of jewelry buying.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I can hear my jewelry whimpering in the drawer even as I type. I bought that Sleeping Beauty TSV yesterday, also the lever back square earrings, right in front of DH. My reasoning as I explained to him, I have no basic turquoise pieces, meaning just plain turquoise. I also gave him the mine is closed nonsense, and the fact the ring was at a great markdown. I have some Carolyn Pollack pieces, but they include other stones. I realize I may get an off color turquoise from the earrings, but don't really care. I gave up ordering turquoise on air years ago when I got some green pieces from QVC, but I don't think I'll be getting green Sleeping Beauty.

Edit: I didn't buy the TSV, I bought the basic three stone ring. Duh. I also have sold off pieces on Ebay, at local auctions, to U.S. Goldbuyers, and a local jeweler friend I met at the auctions. The buying and selling is addicting, but there are some pieces I will keep forever, like my Eterna Gold cigar band ring and EG plain bangle. I currently own about 125 rings and 50 bracelets.

Frequent Contributor

No. I only buy what I love! They are small works of art for my personal enjoyment. That other people see them and enjoy them too is secondary. So I focus on things I see all day- rings, bracelets, long chain and necklace systems that allow me to look at pendants too. By the time I stop frequently wearing a piece, I have gotten well worth my money in terms of time-worn and inspiration-generated. Because of that, my pieces represent distinctive time intervals in my life. For example, I had some gold bangle bracelets custom made for me during the time when no one made large bangle bracelets. I brought one a year until I had four and they were my signature bangles for a decade. When I look at them now, they are like mini-time capsules that take me back to places, events, achievements, happenings, people, experiences, work efforts and the like of those years. My focus now is my Oro Nuovo bangle collection. I wear some part of the collection everyday and they never cease to give me inspiration and enjoyment during the day. Over the years, there are some pieces I have not worn much, but when I do, they more than make up for lost time. Some of the pieces I just like to look at. I am thinking of a small lighted glass curio case where I can display a few pieces at a time for my viewing.