Honored Contributor

Why has 'resin' or Oro Nuovo been removed from titles of jewelry items?

Have you noticed that many of the pieces in today's gold rush say 14k but nothing about the resin core until you read the fine print in the details? Why? I want to know that up front. It saves me time -- I don't buy resin filled jewelry and don't even want to look at it! (which I'm sure, is why they took it out of the title)

Super Contributor

Re: Why has 'resin' or Oro Nuovo been removed from titles of jewelry items?

Gosh Calm, maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but there's actually a listed brand called Oro Nuovo and all 128 items have Oro Nuovo in the title. If you search the term, those same items come up.

I can't remember ever seeing "resin" in the titles, only the descriptions. But I certainly could have missed it when they did say that.

Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2014 jetts_mom said:

Gosh Calm, maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but there's actually a listed brand called Oro Nuovo and all 128 items have Oro Nuovo in the title. If you search the term, those same items come up.

I can't remember ever seeing "resin" in the titles, only the descriptions. But I certainly could have missed it when they did say that.

Yes, there is a line of Oro Nuovo. But if you go through the jewelry offered today, you'll see the titles say 14k but not resin.....resin is mentioned only in the details if you click on on the item.

Just one example: look at J289294. The title is 14k. You don't see the "resin-filled" until the 5th bullet in the details.

Esteemed Contributor

They're showing brand new, electroform, resin filled pieces today that aren't branded "Oro Nuovo" which is due, I guess, to the country of origin? Oro is made it Italy while other resin filled 14K pieces aren't.

Here's an example.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Do I recall correctly that there was an ever so gradual transition from the distinction between 14k gold/gold clad to ora nuovo/hollow/coated resin etcetcetc? I prefer buying gold at a non-euphemism site. I don't even look at gold "specials" anymore, but I am SO happy to have my good old days TSVs to enjoy.
Honored Contributor

Super Contributor

I know - I was actually interested in the bold knife edge earrings but read in the details that they were resin filled - and it said they were only gold electroplated - whish is cheap costume jewelry IMO - come on - they are just PLATED with gold - they are not really ""gold"" earrings.

Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

Yes, there is a line of Oro Nuovo. But if you go through the jewelry offered today, you'll see the titles say 14k but not resin.....resin is mentioned only in the details if you click on on the item.

Just one example: look at J289294. The title is 14k. You don't see the "resin-filled" until the 5th bullet in the details.

one look at that price told me what I wanted to know hahahhaah

Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2014 CaneCorsoMom said:

I know - I was actually interested in the bold knife edge earrings but read in the details that they were resin filled - and it said they were only gold electroplated - whish is cheap costume jewelry IMO - come on - they are just PLATED with gold - they are not really ""gold"" earrings.

Super Contributor

On 1/24/2014 CaneCorsoMom said:

I know - I was actually interested in the bold knife edge earrings but read in the details that they were resin filled - and it said they were only gold electroplated - whish is cheap costume jewelry IMO - come on - they are just PLATED with gold - they are not really "gold" earrings.

Not electroplated, electroform. There's a difference.

The Oro Nuovo items are made in Italy. There is another line of gold that is filled with diamond-resin, that is made elsewhere (the vendor comes out and steps on the earrings). And then there is silicone-filled, which is often made in China.