Super Contributor

Yo! - 12/15/12 - The Unthinkable

Good morning and a safe Saturday to us all.

Cold and too dark to tell much else right now.

After such a wonderful Thursday with Miss Judie's visit, lovely jewelry, fun online with my Sisters, being excited with shout outs from Miss Judie to Sir Cancelot in regards to her wearing the lariat necklace and, surprisingly, to myself over the champagne quartz bracelet, I was left on a nice little high awaiting all my treasures next week.

And then yesterday occurred.

Taking care of my DBGD I am in an insular situation. Generally, my phone is turned off during the afternoon so as not to wake the baby from her nap. Unless there is something about Sesame Street or Curious George, I am cut off from news until I turn on the 6 PM news. Yesterday was particularly insular as I was rushing around to make a 1 PM doctor's appointment a half hour away from my home. I rode to the appointment without the radio on and phone off, complaining all the way about the horrendous traffic on the single lane highway which caused me to be a little late to my appointment.

I was quickly taken back to the examination room and my doctor was apologetically in and out of the room while taking phone calls about other patients. During one of these lulls, I pulled out my phone to see if there were any messages of importance. Imagine my shock at what I found. By the time my doctor returned to my room I was in tears and I had to inform my doctor of the tragedy. We both huddled around my cell phone, trying to get enough news to make some sense of the words.

Sense never came.

I am unable to wrap my mind around this evil.

When DH and I went to our regular restaurant for dinner last night, the owner had Nickelodeon on the TVs as there were children eating.

I hope that this tragedy awakes legislators, especially in my state, to rethink the cuts they have made in mental health programs. Who knows if this would have made any difference yesterday? However, I do believe that mental health is still considered a taboo subject in some communities and is, therefore, one of the first programs to be cut when finances are tough.

Sadness permeates to my very core. My heart breaks for the families at Sandy Hook. My heart breaks for our country.