Meant for Mom(SM)
141 Members and 14909 Guests Online

Jewelry

Yo! - 12/15/12 - The Unthinkable

Started 1355574934.38 in Judith Ripka | Last reply 1355785053.587 by Dead Eye

Good morning and a safe Saturday to us all.

Cold and too dark to tell much else right now.

After such a wonderful Thursday with Miss Judie's visit, lovely jewelry, fun online with my Sisters, being excited with shout outs from Miss Judie to Sir Cancelot in regards to her wearing the lariat necklace and, surprisingly, to myself over the champagne quartz bracelet, I was left on a nice little high awaiting all my treasures next week.

And then yesterday occurred.

Taking care of my DBGD I am in an insular situation. Generally, my phone is turned off during the afternoon so as not to wake the baby from her nap. Unless there is something about Sesame Street or Curious George, I am cut off from news until I turn on the 6 PM news. Yesterday was particularly insular as I was rushing around to make a 1 PM doctor's appointment a half hour away from my home. I rode to the appointment without the radio on and phone off, complaining all the way about the horrendous traffic on the single lane highway which caused me to be a little late to my appointment.

I was quickly taken back to the examination room and my doctor was apologetically in and out of the room while taking phone calls about other patients. During one of these lulls, I pulled out my phone to see if there were any messages of importance. Imagine my shock at what I found. By the time my doctor returned to my room I was in tears and I had to inform my doctor of the tragedy. We both huddled around my cell phone, trying to get enough news to make some sense of the words.

Sense never came.

I am unable to wrap my mind around this evil.

When DH and I went to our regular restaurant for dinner last night, the owner had Nickelodeon on the TVs as there were children eating.

I hope that this tragedy awakes legislators, especially in my state, to rethink the cuts they have made in mental health programs. Who knows if this would have made any difference yesterday? However, I do believe that mental health is still considered a taboo subject in some communities and is, therefore, one of the first programs to be cut when finances are tough.

Sadness permeates to my very core. My heart breaks for the families at Sandy Hook. My heart breaks for our country.

“ I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry.”  
Rita Rudner

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
PpprMintPa­tty1355575165.81318481 PostsRegistered 8/7/2007Outside our Nation's Capitol

Agree with you on the mental health cuts and how it is viewed Kappy.

This entire situation has really shaken me up. I have a Christmas party to go to at 10:30 and don't even feel like going now.

Knowing others are in such pain puts me in a funk that I can't shake.

~Formerly known as Danny~

BurbankKate1355576184.7076188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world
There are a lot of problems in our world...starvation, drug use and overdose, alcoholism, child abuse...this is only scratching the surface. The older I get, the more I know that throwing money at problems does not solve them ( the average welfare family receives $80,000 per year in aid and money)... Bottom line...we live in a fallen world and hearts need to change because money doesn't fix anything. Last edited on 12/15/2012

Last edited on 12/15/2012

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

kaplan2061355577924.9279950 PostsRegistered 1/27/2008from the cradle of liberty & cheesesteak
On 12/15/2012 BurbankKate said: There are a lot of problems in our world...starvation, drug use and overdose, alcoholism, child abuse...this is only scratching the surface. The older I get, the more I know that throwing money at problems does not solve them ( the average welfare family receives $80,000 per year in aid and money)... Bottom line...we live in a fallen world and hearts need to change because money doesn't fix anything. Last edited on 12/15/2012

I respectfully ask you to think of how one begins to address mental health problems if the financial resources are pulled from funding it. Mental health is a very complex issue, and one which carries a lot of shame. Money by itself does not solve anything, but if used properly begins to build briges for those in need.

“ I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry.”  
Rita Rudner

SFGIANTSGI­RL1355578379.6532857 PostsRegistered 12/5/2008Clayton, CA

Kappy

I could not have expressed it any better. Being the mom of two boys, 11 and 6, I could not even think of losing either of them, much less in the way these innocent children were taken. I could not imagine how it would feel to be one of those poor parents.

My heart and prayers go out to all of the familes.

Deb

BurbankKate1355578698.356188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world
On 12/15/2012 kaplan206 said:
On 12/15/2012 BurbankKate said: There are a lot of problems in our world...starvation, drug use and overdose, alcoholism, child abuse...this is only scratching the surface. The older I get, the more I know that throwing money at problems does not solve them ( the average welfare family receives $80,000 per year in aid and money)... Bottom line...we live in a fallen world and hearts need to change because money doesn't fix anything. Last edited on 12/15/2012

I respectfully ask you to think of how one begins to address mental health problems if the financial resources are pulled from funding it. Mental health is a very complex issue, and one which carries a lot of shame. Money by itself does not solve anything, but if used properly begins to build briges for those in need.

when a child is loved ( heart) and raised in a home with that, and the person accepts the love ( heart) and doesn't purposefully reject the love ( rebellion) then the issues of mental instability don't arise. Most mental health issues relate to childhood trauma from abusive parents/ relatives. It always comes down to a heart issue...as it does with the denegration of our nation and the dumbing down of people who believe the govt will solve their problems.

- A government big enough to give you everything you want, is then strong enough to take everything you have.
- Thomas Jefferson

Knitgirly1355578711.0531619 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

I live in CT and am sick about this.... I pray finally for better gun control... Why did Nancy Lanza have 3 unregistered firearms in the home and a son that was not stable able to get them?

BurbankKate1355579018.726188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world
On 12/15/2012 Knitgirly said:

I live in CT and am sick about this.... I pray finally for better gun control... Why did Nancy Lanza have 3 unregistered firearms in the home and a son that was not stable able to get them?

gun control simply allows the criminals to own the guns, instead of responsible gun owners, who if had access to ' conceal and carry' like a lot of Midwest states do, could have deterred this behavior if the school had security that was allowed to have permits for 'conceal and carry' if the shooter had known he would be confronted, we would not have done the misdeed of murder.

- Thomas Jefferson

Knitgirly1355579359.291619 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

Yeah ... "conceal and carry" sure sounds safer to me (sarcasm).

SFGIANTSGI­RL1355579452.4072857 PostsRegistered 12/5/2008Clayton, CA

I didn't think they were unregisterd. They mentioned last night, on the news, that they were obtained legally. I would think that would mean that they were registered.

MoGirl1355579641.78586 PostsRegistered 10/8/2010

Good question... another good question is why this person was able to gain access to the school by simply walking in...I thought most schools were checking individuals not parents, students, teachers, etc...... Shouldn't the doors be locked during school hours?

carrob1355579753.161802 PostsRegistered 10/6/2010 FL
On 12/15/2012 BurbankKate said:

gun control simply allows the criminals to own the guns, instead of responsible gun owners, who if had access to ' conceal and carry' like a lot of Midwest states do, could have deterred this behavior if the school had security that was allowed to have permits for 'conceal and carry' if the shooter had known he would be confronted, we would not have done the misdeed of murder.

I agree completely with you BurbankKate.

Knitgirly1355579763.251619 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

I'm not sure it matters that they were registered or not... she had them in her home (and that sure seems like a lot of weapons for any regualr homeowner)...and they were obviously reachable by her unstable son-

Knitgirly1355579821.741619 PostsRegistered 1/23/2007

Now they are saying he shot the windows to get in-

Anniemich1355580074.2172019 PostsRegistered 2/25/2008

Kappy, you put words to feelings for me.....

I woke up this morning and after a few moments I remembered the tragedy and felt the same way I did last night when I thought about it after tucking my 8 yr old in his bed. You don't have to be a parent to understand the horror of the situation for those particular parents, but being one makes my heart hurt for them even more.

It is just plain evil. I can't even allow 'mental illness' to be part of any explanation I accept. There are many people out there who do have issues, but they don't do something like this to hurt others. There is no excuse.

BurbankKate1355580146.626188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

there's a document you might want to consider reading...it involves...freedom of speech, freedom of trial by jury...oh, and my right to own a gun. Now, if you want that right removed, please relocate to Britain where the citizens do not have that right and crime there is exploding...I think a one way ticket is $500 from the beast coast.

- Thomas Jefferson

Reiss19801355580258.448218 PostsRegistered 4/15/2011Central NJ /Freehold// Long island NY

As a mother of two daughters this has hit me like a ton of bricks...I pray for stronger gun laws.. I was shocked to hear the shooters mother owned those horrible guns ... I am just horrified period...I will hold my girls closer from now on. My heart goes out to the parents and other family members who have lost children.

A wagging tail .... and licks a plenty.. Not to mention a buddy for life! Adopt a dog or cat ..SAVE A LIFE!

BurbankKate1355580327.4336188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

would be nice if all those children were alive today...wouldn't you say?

- Thomas Jefferson

happy hous­ewife1355580435.2928095 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

I so agree with you about the cuts to mental health in this country. So Bad. They give people medication and put them right back out in the world. People who can't understand how important it is to take meds. No one even keeps track of weather or not the meds are working for them. And the costs of those medications too! people who need help the very most are not getting it.

BurbankKate1355580512.186188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world
On 12/15/2012 Reiss1980 said:

As a mother of two daughters this has hit me like a ton of bricks...I pray for stronger gun laws.. I was shocked to hear the shooters mother owned those horrible guns ... I am just horrified period...I will hold my girls closer from now on. And l continue prayers for the children who have been taken much too soon .. And their parents who are grieving so terribly.

don't worry, with zero at the helm, you'll be sure to get your wish...God help us all when we become like Europe...which is what the uninformed desire.

- Thomas Jefferson

kaplan2061355580580.4039950 PostsRegistered 1/27/2008from the cradle of liberty & cheesesteak

there's a document you might want to consider reading...it involves...freedom of speech, freedom of trial by jury...oh, and my right to own a gun. Now, if you want that right removed, please relocate to Britain where the citizens do not have that right and crime there is exploding...I think a one way ticket is $500 from the beast coast.

For me, Constitutional issues do not factor into my feelings about this tragedy at this time. However, I do think that we need to have discussions about how better to keep all of us as safe as possible.

And I respectfully request if you continue this discussion that you do it in a civil manner.

Rita Rudner

happy hous­ewife1355580594.11728095 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

So - in your opinion - those kindergardeners should have been packing heat to protect themselves?? Ok then - there is absolutely nothing I can think of to say to someone who thinks that!

BurbankKate1355580671.796188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

For me, Constitutional issues do not factor into my feelings about this tragedy at this time. However, I do think that we need to have discussions about how better to keep all of us as safe as possible.

And I respectfully request if you continue this discussion that you do it in a civil manner.

it's a heart issue...

- Thomas Jefferson

BurbankKate1355580769.276188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world
On 12/15/2012 morning lover said:

So - in your opinion - those kindergardeners should have been packing heat to protect themselves?? Ok then - there is absolutely nothing I can think of to say to someone who thinks that!

your critical thinking is not engaging...who mentioned children with guns? You should rethink your question...

- Thomas Jefferson

bonnielu1355580812.3775038 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Western Maryland

So much pain. So many unanswered questions. I have adult children with children and I reached out to them last night. Something has to be done but I really do not know what would solve the problem of an impersonal world where life seems to be more and more like a video game. People don't talk to each other anymore, interpersonal relationships are by electronic gadgets. Some of my friends had passed on and I found out on Facebook. No more reach out and touch someone. Guns, yes available... Assault, automatic guns, I don't think they should be allowed, but the horse is out of the barn and it is too late to close the gate.

I am and was a teacher. What is a kindergarten teacher doing with assault weapons? And perhaps there should be intervention (legal) when someone needs mental help... before the fact, not after.

BurbankKate1355580983.2876188 PostsRegistered 11/18/2007Home of: Disney Studios,W. Bros, Nickelodeon, Cartoon network, media capital of the world

your " feelings" do not over- ride current law. Safety will always be an issue when people's hearts and minds are set against common moral laws.

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next