Honored Contributor

A personal gripe of mine watching the Oscars tonight will be all these rich movie stars in fabulous couture strapless gowns will have NO jewelry what so ever adorning their necklines.

That big expanse of neck and chest will be bare as a desert. Ye Gads, rich folk at least put on a QVC necklace I've got better jewelry then those who wear none. LOL These little size 0 or 2's with have their flat chests hanging out and not so much as a thin chain on. I miss Liz T. coming out with her gorgeous suites of emeralds, diamonds and rubies. Keep your eyes on Michael Keaton's wife she had on a drop dead necklace during the Emmy's think it was. I don't care if they have them just on loan for the night. Give us peons something to gawk at.

Catherine Zeta Jones-Douglas has ruby jewelry and class enough to break them out once a yr. Old time Hollywood.

This is THE night in Hollywood for catsake go to the vault and break out some serious jewelry.

Respected Contributor
I agree with you! I loved watching th Oscars starting in the 60's just to get a glimpse of those gorgeous jewels. My feeling is that movie stars want to be more like their fans and not look too rich, as to seem better than us. Do you know what I mean? I wish they would go back to wearing those beautiful jewels. I think the last time I was impressed was when Angelina Jolie wore those huge emerald earrrings. I don't watch the Oscars now just because actors can't seem to keep their politics to themselves. I will see what they wore the next day on the Internet.
Honored Contributor
On 2/22/2015 Q2girl said: I agree with you! I loved watching th Oscars starting in the 60's just to get a glimpse of those gorgeous jewels. My feeling is that movie stars want to be more like their fans and not look too rich, as to seem better than us. Do you know what I mean? I wish they would go back to wearing those beautiful jewels. I think the last time I was impressed was when Angelina Jolie wore those huge emerald earrrings. I don't watch the Oscars now just because actors can't seem to keep their politics to themselves. I will see what they wore the next day on the Internet.

I don't know .... if someone says something about people starving in Africa (or whatever), I don't consider that "politics" .... it's about quality of life, and compassion.

Do comments like that really upset you that much ? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor
On 2/22/2015 Sharke said:

A personal gripe of mine watching the Oscars tonight will be all these rich movie stars in fabulous couture strapless gowns will have NO jewelry what so ever adorning their necklines.

That big expanse of neck and chest will be bare as a desert. Ye Gads, rich folk at least put on a QVC necklace I've got better jewelry then those who wear none. LOL These little size 0 or 2's with have their flat chests hanging out and not so much as a thin chain on. I miss Liz T. coming out with her gorgeous suites of emeralds, diamonds and rubies. Keep your eyes on Michael Keaton's wife she had on a drop dead necklace during the Emmy's think it was. I don't care if they have them just on loan for the night. Give us peons something to gawk at.

Catherine Zeta Jones-Douglas has ruby jewelry and class enough to break them out once a yr. Old time Hollywood.

This is THE night in Hollywood for catsake go to the vault and break out some serious jewelry.

I get what you're saying, Sharke, but younger women can't always pull off the look. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Also, if the gown is ornate, great earrings are really enough .... or you end up looking like a Christmas tree with too many ornaments on it!

Well, we shall see in just a few hours ......... Cool

Super Contributor

I really don't understand why the lack of jewelry bothers you. It's a different time, people are much more aware than they were back then. If someone has a pair of earrings like Angelina Jolie wore a few years ago, that's more than enough. And I agree with the poster who said it's not politics, but simple compassion and empathy with those who have less or nothing.

Some might even consider that a suite of unbelievably expensive jewelry could possibly feed a whole village in a third world country. Politics? Maybe, but if it is, I'm all for it.

Super Contributor

Doesn't bother me. I never wear necklaces. What does bother me is that these rich stars should wear their own jewelry. Why do they have to borrow jewelry, makes no sense to me.

Honored Contributor

Be sure to read what I wrote exactly. Most people see what they want to see in order to come back with a retort. Original wording was "strapless gowns". Sure if your neck and chest is covered up with glitter and gold sparkle dress you don't need a look at me necklace. Earrings are plenty or one good size diamond ring.

I was referring to STRAPLESS GOWNS with all that expanse of neck and bare chest. I know those jewelers will loan the bigger name stars jewels for people like me to ogle. I can't afford, so, I won't be calling up Cartier's on Mon. saying "I must simply just have what Jennifer Lawrence had on last night please send FedEx to my house" LOL

People that can afford half million dollar necklaces need to show off their naked necks and chest area with a wowser ! LOL

Angelina, is a tireless worker for the poor and down trodden and can still enjoy wearing the fruits of her labors once a yr. I like the fact she is working for women's rights in other countries.

Respected Contributor
I get what you are saying but let's face it, the "movie stars" of old are long gone unfortunately. There used to be a select few (like Liz) whereas today we have TV, reality show, athletes, and everything else showing up at these events. Not to mention that in Liz's day there was some mystique to being a movie star. Now they are in our face 24/7. I don't want to see them pretend they are just like us, because they aren't, who do they think they are fooling? At least with the Oscars they do try to dress up. I think the less is more started the year when things were so bad with the economy and they didn't want to appear to be flaunting their wealth. Meanwhile, I'm sure they were still spending more than most people make in a year in a month, if not a week, or for some days. C'mon, I agree with you, bring back the jewels! And yes, buy some stuff (Liz or Richard did) and boost the economy.
Esteemed Contributor
The style of gown determines the appropriate jewelry, according to all of the stylists, but, A beautiful necklace paired with a strapless gown would be lovely. I'm pretty sure these stars can afford beautiful jewelry, but, on the red carpets they are actually human advertisements for the designers of the gown, shoes, clutch, and jewelry. IMHO, today's stars just don't have that old Hollywood glamour. Yes, a few come close and are flawless, but, it's just a different time.
Honored Contributor

yeah, I'm just from a different time when it was Ok to flaunt your success and you didn't have to look like you just came in from a mission house when everybody knows your last movie grossed a fortune and you bought home a millions of dollars paycheck. Guess, I'm more from the Gilded Age. I got money , I worked for it and if you can't handle it then that's your problem. Get out and make yours too.

who was that person that wore sneakers one time to the Oscars? Poor women have been on diets for months, so, the cameras won't show a quarter inch of back fat and when it's all over they're running to the buffet tables. LOL Lord, help you if you have a grey hair or a pimple on your face or eek! an age spot. I'd be weak from hunger and just want to get out of my heels.