Valued Contributor

Bixby's TSV Peridot/ Iolite/ Garnet

I just got the email about the pre-order for Bixby's $99 TSV ring. My question is for those who know about gems and prices. Is Peridot worth more than Iolite and Garnet?? I thought it was, then I noticed the new enhancers and the Iolite was more expensive. Just curious and thanks.

Contributor

Re: Bixby's TSV Peridot/ Iolite/ Garnet

I think Peridot has typically been a pretty inexpensive stone. I think iolite and garnet are more expensive.

Honored Contributor

Like most gemstones, there are various qualities of peridot. I wouldn't know, though, how to compare any of the levels to the levels available for iolite or garnet. I just know not all peridot is created equal.

Frequent Contributor

What is the ""pre-game"" buzz on this ring?

I think the price is great!

Honored Contributor

It seems to me that what has been going on in the marketplace is this:

For a well-cut, highly colored stone... no matter which gemstone one chooses... it is expensive due to the fact that I read stores of gemstones are being depleted.

What one always pays at least 50% more for is the workmanship. Barbara Bixby does such exquisite work...

May I ask the style # ... I threw my Insider away... : (

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Consider yourself lucky for having actually gotten the email... No matter what I do as far as my email preferences, it seems the only emails I get are those for the TSV and those seem to come the same day the item is a TSV... I no longer seem to get any advance notice emails... And for this one I might actually be interested. Most of them get deleted quickly.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Sorry, I get so tired of trying to see styles when people are talking about them... and it is not only this item I'm talking about...

Honored Contributor

As time goes on lesser grades of gemstones are being used for jewelry. What QVC and the Bixby line consider acceptable remains to be seen. I guess you have to be your own judge.

Super Contributor

On 1/30/2015 lovestoteach said:

It seems to me that what has been going on in the marketplace is this:

For a well-cut, highly colored stone... no matter which gemstone one chooses... it is expensive due to the fact that I read stores of gemstones are being depleted.

What one always pays at least 50% more for is the workmanship. Barbara Bixby does such exquisite work...

May I ask the style # ... I threw my Insider away... : (

J319595 {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

ETA: The $99.14 TSV price only shows up through the preview email link.

Honored Contributor

Is it this one?

Barbara Bixby Sterling Gemstone Eternity Ring

This would be the peridot...Bixby usually has the flower with a dab of 18k gold. That is not present in this ring... although, each stone is individually set... that is a HUGE plus in jewelry today.

The additional details of oxidation and workmanship make this worthy of the price and a good deal, imo... I may get one for DD (peridot) my color is sold out (rose) but I may go with the white.