Trusted Contributor

Help me talk myself out of buying an expensive piece of jewelry

I am almost 70 and retired. I no longer go out to fancy restaurants or activities. I have a lot of jewelry, but recently passed a jewelry store window with a unique, beautiful pair of diamond hoop earrings. I would really like to have them, but they are expensive--close to $1000. I don't get a lot of money from a pension, but have minimal expenses and manage ok. I tell myself I don't need to buy anything else in the way of clothing, jewelry etc., but I am not very well disciplined. I still would like those earrings. Part of me says you could lose that much in a day in the stock market and have nothing to show for it. Another part of me says to save the money towards a new roof I might need in the future since my roof is 20 yrs. old. I need help talking myself out of wanting to buy what I don't need.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Help me talk myself out of buying an expensive piece of jewelry

Step away from the window, I repeat, step away from the window. Do not buy those earrings bailey. Sometimes it's just nice to have a "if I had gobs of money what would I buy?" wish list. Repeat after me girl, "I'm not buying those earrings, nope, not dropping that much cash to sit in my living room." Okay, deep breath. Do you feel less inclined to buy them now?

Super Contributor

Don't buy the earrings.

Respected Contributor

Is there a way to buy it and make payments on it, as opposed to paying $1,000 all at once? If you can finance it, it might make it more manageable, both for your pocketbook and your conscience. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Contributor

Baileysue, life is short so if these earrings would make you happy and you don't do this kind of thing regularly, I say go for it. I am turning 60 in a few days and my DH bought me a petite but gorgeous quality French designer diamond ring today. Should we save the money, sure! Will I wear this ring proudly and love it, yes indeed. Best of luck in your decision.
Trusted Contributor

Oh this is a toughie. You certainly deserve to have what you desire. Smile But that said, if you don't have the funds or means to get the funds , if in fact your roof would have to be replaced - then that personally would take some of the enjoyment away from the earrings. But that is just me.

If it put me in the position , if something went wrong or needed repaired or replaced and there I would be with no means to do it, then I would have to deny myself the earrings.

Sorry{#emotions_dlg.sad}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

Why not recycle. Send some of the items you no longer wear to USGB and use the funds to buy the earrings. No money out of pocket and you get a new look.

Contributor

If your roof is really that old you will need to replace it soon. How old is your HVAC? How many times would you get to wear these earrings vs. how many times would you be happy your roof is in one piece? Also, the way things are going, I would count on your monthly living expenses going up. I know I'm stunned every time I go to the grocery store just to name one expense.
Frequent Contributor

Admire, don't acquire!
Regular Contributor

You know what, baileysue -- if you love these earrings, and you definitely would wear them often, not put them in a box and save them for a fancy event, I say go for it. A pair of hoops, even diamond ones, are an everyday item these days. They are even worn with denim. You know, I was at the scene on the terrible day of 9/11 and was hit hard by Hurricane Sandy. You just don't know what tomorrow brings. I'm sure those who buy the Dooney bags for $400 don't need them either, but some people claim to have 20 bags! If the earrings make you happy and you love them that much I would just get them. Some help I am, right??Smile

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.