Contributor

Best Way to Clean Tarnished Oxidized Sterling Silver Jewelry??

I have several pieces of silver that have a lot of oxidation in the overall design. These pieces have badly tarnished since I didn't store them very well. What is the best way to remove the tarnish without removing the oxidation! Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Re: Best Way to Clean Tarnished Oxidized Sterling Silver Jewelry??

Use a good quality polishing cloth made for silver jewelry. I like the one called Sunshine Cloth the best.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I agree with the above. If you use a liquid sterling silver cleaner, it will take the oxidation off. A silver polishing cloth will do the trick, but it may take some time.

Honored Contributor

I agree with each of the previous posters. And please remember, some EXCELLENT quality Sterling DOES tarnish, and some POOR quality sterling does not. It depends on many factors, not just price or value. Wearing silver that you enjoy is worth the "price" of having to take a few minutes with a polishing cloth before wearing. Today's TSV says "anti-tarnishing", NOT non-tarnishing. SILVER TARNISHES!
Valued Contributor

The old trick of putting aluminum foil in shallow water with some epsom salts works really well. I have tried it on many jewelry pieces and they turn out beautiful.

Just put about a tablespoon of epsom salts in a shallow pan with about two inches of water bring the solution to a boil then turn down to medium, put a piece of aluminum foil about 4 x 4 inches then set your item on the foil. Just leave it in there about 30 seconds and surprise, the item comes out just beautiful.

Super Contributor

On 11/15/2014 Cookie06 said:

The old trick of putting aluminum foil in shallow water with some epsom salts works really well. I have tried it on many jewelry pieces and they turn out beautiful.

Just put about a tablespoon of epsom salts in a shallow pan with about two inches of water bring the solution to a boil then turn down to medium, put a piece of aluminum foil about 4 x 4 inches then set your item on the foil. Just leave it in there about 30 seconds and surprise, the item comes out just beautiful.

I wouldn't recommend this for oxidized sterling - it will take the oxidization off. The Sunshine cloth is the best.

Honored Contributor

You can purchase the Sunshine polishing cloth from Amazon or Ebay. That's what I use, too. It works great.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Thx for the recommendation.
Regular Contributor

I freshen up my Judith Ripka with this technique, but I use lots of baking soda and rinse with hot water and light dishwasher soap after (not a lot of oxidation but just gets a clean fresh look...diamonique and stones sparkle again too)....I recently did it with some VERY oxidized sterling and will probably use the polishing cloth before repeating. Will repeat if I need to. Love this simple easy way to brighten up the jewelry. And I use a pyrex pie plate for the depth.

Honored Contributor

Do not use this on any jewelry you treasure. It should be used on silver flatware, not jewelry.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment