Honored Contributor

Teach your kids about your jewelry

Or your other heirs, as the case may be. I go to a lot of estate auctions. Often a bank is in charge of disposing of the assets. An auctioneer or antique dealer is called in, who may or may not have knowledge of diamonds, gold, etc. Some are not 100% honest. Even if your kids don't like your jewelry, teach them the basics, like how to look for karat marks, what to have appraised, like your engagement ring, and what not to waste money on. And if you are dead set on someone getting special pieces, you might consider giving them ahead of time.

Valued Contributor

Re: Teach your kids about your jewelry

Good advice: At the end of the week, I am attending an estate jewelry sale. They are very informative and so much fun.

Trusted Contributor

Very good advice, dep. My mom taught me to love and appreciate good jewelry, what to look for and so on. I tried teaching my now-grown daughter the same things. Not sure how much she retained. I definitely need to get with her about it again because, as my only child, she will inherit my rather substantial jewelry collection.

Honored Contributor

How odd that you put this message out now. I just finished updating my list of valuables.

I have sons, and I am not sure they wouldn't end up just handing out some rather valuable items I own -- from gold, diamonds, emeralds, rubies to fine china, crystal and antiques. My list still doesn't guarantee anything, but I don't want them to make any costly mistakes if they can be prevented. Your post makes me want to sit down with them and have a heart-to-heart and then a demo around the house.

Years ago my late husband had a neighbor friend help him clean out our garage that was transformed into a room. I walked in just as he was handing the neighbor a silver something-or-other that was worth something but somehow ended up in a pile of free-for-all junk. I stopped that transaction just in time. The piece was not a gift for a wedding or anything but somehow I owned it. All I knew was that it should not have been given away.

Honored Contributor

I have a large collection of silver/turquoise jewelry, mostly old Indian pieces. My only relative remotely interested in it is my great niece. A few months ago I sent her pictures of some of the pieces and asked her what she thought of them. Never heard a word from her. She's out of the will.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

On 11/6/2014 kachina624 said: I have a large collection of silver/turquoise jewelry, mostly old Indian pieces. My only relative remotely interested in it is my great niece. A few months ago I sent her pictures of some of the pieces and asked her what she thought of them. Never heard a word from her. She's out of the will.

Are you sure she got the pictures?

Honored Contributor

On 11/6/2014 Disneylandfan said:
On 11/6/2014 kachina624 said: I have a large collection of silver/turquoise jewelry, mostly old Indian pieces. My only relative remotely interested in it is my great niece. A few months ago I sent her pictures of some of the pieces and asked her what she thought of them. Never heard a word from her. She's out of the will.

Are you sure she got the pictures?

I sent the pics in a text msg to the same address I've used before.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Do you have a close relationship with her? Maybe she just felt uncomfortable.

Honored Contributor

I would at least verify that she got the text. Maybe she thought you wanted her to buy them?

Esteemed Contributor

You're kidding, right?