Super Contributor

Kirks Folly do it yourself repair question. Anyone know how to fix this?

Those who purchased during the final sale may have gotten some things carefully placed in bubble wrap bags (not in boxes which kept the items safe from banging around upon themselves). So inside bubble bags, our items jingled and banged on their journeys to their new homes.

One of the pieces I have had a crystal eye knocked out.{#emotions_dlg.sad} I didn't notice it at first. I had kept all the little bubble bags in a stack and just decided to keep them in a large ziplock bag. Lucky I didn't toss them, because!!! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} YAY! I found the crystal which came out inside one of the bubble bags.

My question:

Do I glue this in? {#emotions_dlg.confused1} And does anyone know what kind of glue I should use? I've looked on line at JoAnn's but that place (imo) is useless to get product information (they only show you the front of the product and not the back).

Any help would be appreciated!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Kirks Folly do it yourself repair question. Anyone know how to fix this?

If it were me, I would just use a tiny tiny drop of super glue.

Super Contributor

On 10/22/2014 NiteStar said:

If it were me, I would just use a tiny tiny drop of super glue.

I really didn't think of this. I've always had such bad luck with superglue, I didn't even think to see if I could use it on crystal glass bonding to metal. Thanks, I'm going to search info on superglue! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Super Contributor

Wow! So many super glues for glass and metal.

super glue glass metal

Trusted Contributor

As long as you use the tiniest drop, it won't "squeeze out" to the outside of the gem. Also, it dries clear.

Super Contributor

On 10/22/2014 NiteStar said:

As long as you use the tiniest drop, it won't "squeeze out" to the outside of the gem. Also, it dries clear.

I just don't want it to be lost again. It was really sheer luck I found the tiny crystal.

Thanks. I suppose the way it dries so quickly, I better make sure I don't put it in crooked!

Really makes for an appreciation for all the work a piece goes through. I'm worried about one eye. Can't imagine doing an entire piece!

Thanks again! I'm going to have to read to make sure it will bond with glass to metal.

Clear drying is good, too!

Trusted Contributor

Down through the years and countless KF pieces, a few crystals have popped out here and there. In fact, one of the orders I just recently placed came with a loose crystal in the bubble wrap. I glue them back in with super glue. It's a bit tricky, but I use tweezers and/or a toothpick.

Super Contributor

On 10/22/2014 Shogirl said:

Down through the years and countless KF pieces, a few crystals have popped out here and there. In fact, one of the orders I just recently placed came with a loose crystal in the bubble wrap. I glue them back in with super glue. It's a bit tricky, but I use tweezers and/or a toothpick.

Thanks! I honestly didn't even think of superglue! I was at JoAnn's trying to find "jewelry glue", "metal glue", "glass glue"… I gave up there…for glue or for anything.

Nice to know it works! Thanks!

Valued Contributor

The best thing is fingernail glue.It fixed a crystal from a Kirks Folly earring that fell during my trip to Italy.Now I pack my jewelry in hard boxes when I travel.An expert jewelry associate gave me this tip.

Respected Contributor

I use Modge Podge. Best all round glue for crafts. Drys fast and clear. Get it at Michaels.