Frequent Contributor

QVC going out of the jewelry business?

I was looking over the program guide for the next 4 weeks and when I got to the last week on the guide (6 weeks 'til Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I noticed that there are only 4 jewelry shows for the entire week, mainly Discover Diamonique. Are they trying to tell us something?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC going out of the jewelry business?

I remember we had this same conversation last year about the same time, so you're right on the money!

QVC only focuses on gift, gifts, gifts during the holidays and I guess they figure we only buy jewelry as a treat for ourselves. It does seem strange as I know I would ask for a lovely pair of well priced gold hoops, a strand of fine pearls, or even a once-in-a-lifetime piece of 18K gold before requesting a Keurig, a box of overpriced stale cookies, or a Dyson, but I guess there aren't enough of us to support this!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Honored Contributor

Q's financial reports show a marked decrease in jewelry sales. Duh! Any business that sells the cwap that Q sells would have a huge decrease in jewelry sales too. Q would see their jewelry sales jump if they went back to offering mid-range, quality gold jewelry.

Honored Contributor

They just do gift pieces this time of year in all the gift giving shows instead of full hour long jewelry shows.

I think last year they did a lot of jewelry shows and a jewelry TSV something like December 21st with free expedited shipping and people were complaining that they had already finished their shopping and it was too late for these items.

I just hope they do some gold this year. They had goldtone/silvertone fashion bangles the other day in Leah's show. Last year they did a Steel by Design set of bangles I think.

I personally used to look forward to Mary Beth's Wednesday Night Gold and Gold Rush shows leading up to the holidays as they would always have a gift boxed earring, which I usually bought for myself.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

Did they take a loss on jewelry? I just remember a few years ago I read an article posted here about QVC becoming more of an electronics and home goods channel.
Respected Contributor

Why do you think they will eliminate jewelry? Just because they add so many other gifts right before Christmas? They have a long history of what people purchase right before Christmas and that's what the programs will be. The rest of the year is full of jewelry, buy early if you want for Christmas.
Super Contributor

by June im set in Q paste jewelry . I never trust the mail that close to the Holiday. One year in 1994 or 95 that silly old Norine come over to bring the qvc package she received by error and then waited for me to open it. She told everyone withen a 6 block radius that I sold off my real things and had to but paste .

You should hear what I told on her , and it covered 9 blocks.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/20/2014 wmsbgshopper said: Why do you think they will eliminate jewelry? Just because they add so many other gifts right before Christmas? They have a long history of what people purchase right before Christmas and that's what the programs will be. The rest of the year is full of jewelry, buy early if you want for Christmas.

And you needed to lecture us because...

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

The jewelry shows are the only ones I enjoy.

Honored Contributor

QVC is all about the same stuff different day, especially once they kick holiday shopping into high gear. They never seem to feature much jewelry (or frankly, much of anything of interest) anymore around the holidays. They might want to consider mixing some in to try to perk up this dreary mess. Their assortment of gifts bears very little resemblance to anything I'd want to give or get.

That said, it's a legitimate question. Given most jewelry shows (other than Bronzo and Ripka) are now so far and few between and given how largely lame most of them have been of late, it's reasonable to question whether or not QVC is giving up on it entirely. Frankly, if they don't up the ante a bit, I'm not sure I really care anymore.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...