Valued Contributor

Michael Dawkins howlite necklace

Note to Carolyn Pollack lovers. I had always wanted a howlite necklace. CP had one briefly and was very expensive. Waited. Had seen Dawkins' howlite necklace, but it was very pricey. Then it went on sale, and then it went to a limited quantities price. I bought it and it is gorgeous. The price is good for what you get. It has his starry night signature toggle. So if you have been waiting for CP to make one like I have, check out the Dawkins one. Love it. Don't have the item number now, but just type in "MD howlite necklace". There's only one! Let us know what you think of it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Michael Dawkins howlite necklace

Sorry, but Q has such a fine search engine, I couldn't find it. I will say this about howlite. It's a cheap, cheap stone which is frequently dyed to fraudulently be sold as turquoise since it has somewhat of a matrix. It is extremely chalky and soft so has to be stabilized. I personally would not spend money for it regardless of who made the piece. To each her own.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Here's the item # A290791. Kachina624 I didn't know that about the stone. Thanks for the information. It looks pretty on and goes with a lot of clothes. But after hearing what you are saying, I may think twice about it. Do you think that is why one rarely sees it in jewelry?

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't spend a lot on it, but do personally think white Howlite is quite pretty in its own right... When buying turquoise, it does pay to be careful. I recently was seeking a piece of green turquoise in a ring, which I found, but while shopping also saw a piece of Howlite being sold as turquoise and while it was clear to me, the salesman swore it was turquoise. Maybe he didn't know the difference though he claims to know gems... Someone will clearly be duped.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

That number doesn't turn up anything when I try it... And to be sure, agreed, their search engine is lousy.

If you love the piece and didn't spend a great deal on it, then personally, I'd keep it and enjoy it!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Contributor

the number starts with a ""J"" not A. The correct number is J290791. Good Luck!

Valued Contributor

elunique--Thank you. That is the correct item #. I put an ""A"" instead of a ""J"". J290791. I am used to ordering clothes with A.... Now that you all have the correct item # check it out if you want.

Honored Contributor

that is a pretty necklace! i have this howlite piece from michael dawkins and love it.......so unique and different. the photo doesnt begin to do it justice.

http://www.qvc.com/Michael-Dawkins-Sterling-Howlite--Mother-of--Pearl-Necklace.product.J159066.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Heres a funny story about howlite. There was a howlite necklace in the Jackie Kennedy collection supposedly given to her by some bigwig mid-Easterner. I contacted that man who sold her jewelry on the Q suggesting that the necklace surely must have been better than howlite, maybe even Persian turquoise (it was dyed). He said, no, that's what they thought and even had it tested and it was surely howlite. We had a good laugh over it, deciding he was gifting on the cheap and Jackie never knew the difference. Some of you may have gotten this piece. It's probably the only piece in the collection where buyers got the original "gemstone".

So, I guess if it was good enough for Jackie Kennedy, it's good enough for us Q buyers.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

"Michael Dawkins" and "howlite" in the same sentence? Surely someone is mistaken, I thought. Nope, its his piece. I am from the era when howlite nuggets were sold for cheap in tourist rock shops. But if you like it, what the heck? I for one am a black spinel junkie and I know that black spinel isn't really a prestige gemstone, more like a cut and polished rock. I just plain like it.