New Contributor

Ecclissi Facets Rose Gold Plate Morganite Watch

I absolutely love the case and pink MOP watch face of this watch. Sadly, I just noticed that several places on the watch band are getting streaked or losing the rose gold plating.

The watch case and face are still perfect; the band links right next to the watch face, which are the largest of the panther links, are looking discolored although still shiny. Also the back clasp link with the E on it looks like it is loosing its color.

I called Q Customer Service and I can return or get another; I don't know if a new one will do the same thing; anybody with this same problem? Also, the current Q description of the watch does not mention 14k rose gold plate - so what's that about?

I am debating whether to exchange or just keep it and live with a band that will look somewhat antique because of the discoloration; I asked for just a new watch band but Q won't send me one, but will send a new watch. The MOP is pink and gorgeous and so I'm afraid that a new one won't be as nice, since one of the reviewers said their MOP was very yellow. What to do!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Ecclissi Facets Rose Gold Plate Morganite Watch

I don't own this watch, but I own a lot of watches, including many that are plated in either rose gold or yellow gold. Bottom line, I would return this watch, since you have that option, and not order another one.

Here is my reasoning: bracelets and plating are generally not covered by the watch warranty. Watch warranties generally cover only the movement, and nothing else. So if you had a problem later on, it would not be covered.

Now to plating.... it can vary quite a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer, and even among different styles by one company. This is because not only are there different processes for plating, there are also different thicknesses of plating used and different coloring agents used to achieve the plating. Not all 'gold' plating is 14K gold. On top of that, the longevity of the plating will also vary depending upon how the underlying metal is prepared for the plating process. So all in all, plating can be excellent and long lasting or wear off very quickly.

In addition, rose gold plating often tends to oxidize or tarnish, in my experience. Even on well plated watches it can turn brassy looking. It can be cleaned up with a polishing cloth, but it's a lot of work and an ongoing issue. I think it happens because of the copper component of the rose gold alloy.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ecclissi Facets Rose Gold Plate Morganite Watch

Would like to add to this:

Some of the reasons for the tarnish are pollution and/or body chemistry. Acid is what promotes the oxidation process. So if your body chemistry is a little more acidic, it actually could change it. (This is from a jeweler and goldsmith with close to 40 years' experience working with precious metals and stainless steel.)

I agree with lavenderjunkie, return the watch while you still can.