Regular Contributor

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good gemstone book. I'm looking for a basic/general book with pictures of various gems and their meanings. I would love to get my young grandson interested in learning about gems. Thanks a lot!

Respected Contributor

I believe Paul Deasy on shophq has one, and perhaps Michael Valattuti? That might give you a place to start.

Respected Contributor

jtv.com

It's jewelrytelevision.com - put gemstone books in their search bar and all their nice books come up.

Also, there is a tab on their site called 'learning center'. I wonder if you might find something of interest there. Smile

Super Contributor

"The Jeweler's Directory of Gemstones: A Complete Guide to Appraising and Using Precious Stones From Cut and Color to Shape and Settings" By Judith Crowe

The book is so much more then the title alludes, it's also perfect for a gemstone jewelry collector. You can find it at Amazon. Smile

Super Contributor

Honored Contributor
If your grandson is a child, perhaps a search on Amazon would yield something suitable for his age. Many kids are interested in rocks and minerals, not necessarily just gemstones.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor
9/18/2014 kachina624 said: If your grandson is a child, perhaps a search on Amazon would yield something suitable for his age. Many kids are interested in rocks and minerals, not necessarily just gemstones.

Re-reading the OP, It seems I overlooked the words "young grandson". {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Although, the book I mentioned is a great resource for us older gem geeks. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Regular Contributor

Thanks so much ladies! I'll look into all them.

Respected Contributor

missbonbon, what a fun thing to get your grandson into!

I really like jtv's site, alot of learning tools, they even have a Jewel School show, it use to air on Sundays but not sure what they are doing now. If you find something you like there google 'jtv coupon' first, there are always free shipping codes and 10, 15, 20% off coupons out there.

Trusted Contributor

Two excellent books I recommend:

Smithsonian Rock & Gem Book

Minerals and Gemstones: by: Dr. David C. Cook & Dr. Wendy L. Kirk

Both have wonderful descriptions and pictures.