Esteemed Contributor

How can you tell if an item is Resin filled

I purchased J296327 in June on Advance order and I just received them last week. I loved them and have worn them twice, very comfortable and received a compliment as well. Now, I was throwing away all the paperwork and tag that was with the earrings and got a little scared the tag says Milor Italy but on the back it says 14K / Resin. I do not buy resin filled and not for that price, I called customer service and was told they were not resin filled, how can I be sure? Does anyone have a clue, since I don't own any other Resin filled jewelry, don't know where to begin.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How can you tell if an item is Resin filled

Sign of the times I guess. That is why I no longer buy gold jewelry from QVC, as if I really need more. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} However the best bet for you might be to take it to a trusted jeweler and ask what they think.

In my opinion some law has required them to label it and I would assume it is labeled correctly (by law) and that it is indeed resin.

I guess it is your decision. But if you are paying for gold and assumed it was gold without resin you have a right to return it. If you keep it that label will always be a part of it.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, I did look for a little hole but there is none, I'm going into town later to attend Mass, I'll go a little earlier and wear them and make a stop by our local jeweler. Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

I tried to look it up and nothing comes up for the item numer, unfortunately.

How much do they weigh? If they are an average 1.25" hoop, industry-standard hollow, they would probably weigh around 1.5grams each. If they are a heavier gauge they could weigh as much as 3 grams each. I have hoops that weigh at both of those ends of the spectrum.

I hate to see Milor selling that resin junk, as they were a company that made really nice Italian gold jewelry for many years. But I do recall going through the 'recently aired' of a 'gold' show a while back and I did see one that was shown as resin-filled and there was a macro picture showing that it was Milor item.

I'd have to say that if it is hallmarked 14k/resin - it IS resin-filled. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

How are the actual earrings stamped? Just 14K or is an R stamped somewhere on there too? Hope your jeweler can straighten it out. I'm with you on no resin filled....IMHO it's just plated goo.

Esteemed Contributor

The earrings are stamped 14k and the description has the following...

And in the packaging was this little black tag that on one side it says Milor on the reverse has 14k / Resin, I'm leaving at 4p Central to get them checked out by Jeweler, will return later with results.

Nothing luxes up your look quite like a pair of gold hoops. And with this VicenzaGold design's substantial presence and richly textured satin finish, the effect is next-level posh. From VicenzaGold(R).

Yellow Gold, White Gold, or Rose Gold.

• 14K gold tubing
  • Round tubular hoop; textured satin finish
  • Snap bar closures, for pierced ears only
  • Measures approximately 1-1/4"L x 1/8"W
  • Made in Italy

VicenzaGold 1-1/4 Textured Round Hoop Earrings 14K Gold

Honored Contributor

I hope it turns out that they are just gold! I like that type of hoop and have a couple pairs similar to that. But, like you, I would NOT want to have that resin-filled, tiny bit of gold, type of thing.

They charge WAY too much for that. Might just as well purchase full-on costume jewelry and pay less.

Super Contributor

They are beautiful! Tubing shouldn't have anything in it, right? See what your jeweler thinks, but I think I would call Q again and make them explain why the vendor is saying resin filled. Someone at Q knows, maybe you can buck the question higher up the ladder. Good luck, they are really pretty!
Frequent Contributor

I bought these same earrings in the rose gold and judging from the light weight of the earring (they are feather light) I dont think they are resin filled. A coworker bought a pair of resin filled earrings and they have noticeably more weight. I hope I'm right and we ladies have the real deal in gold. will anxiously await your jeweler's opinion.
Esteemed Contributor

I will keep you posted, getting ready for mass but I'm still within the returning period if they do turn out to be resin filled. I'm kind of leaning to the tag was an error in packaging, as I've looked at other resin filled earrings and they are not very expensive, under $100 and those a little over $100 are huge in size and these were almost $200, so keeping my fingers crossed.