Esteemed Contributor

Do You Tell When You Re-gift?

As the holidays approach, I find myself on a strict budget. My niece always wears silver and I have some beautiful pieces I no longer wear that I know she would like. Each year I buy her a piece of silver, but this year I am thinking of giving her one of my pieces. If I do, should I tell her it is from my collection?
Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Tell When You Re-gift?

In this instance, I say you should tell her that you are giving her a piece from your jewelry collection. It will have more meaning to her, imo.

Super Contributor

On 9/11/2014 brii said:

In this instance, I say you should tell her that you are giving her a piece from your jewelry collection. It will have more meaning to her, imo.

I agree!!Smiley Happy))
Honored Contributor

Well, first I have to say that if you are giving her old jewelry that you don't want; that is NOT re-gifting. Re-gifting is when someone gives you a present that you don't want/need/like and you turn around and wrap it and give it to someone else. It's new, never been used. Yes, I have done that. No, I do not tell the person that I'm re-gifting. I also do not re-gift to people who know each other. In your case OP, you are "handing down" a piece of jewelry that has given you pleasure to a niece that you love. In that case, yes indeed, you have to tell her. She might remember seeing it on you and she'll know it's not new. Polish it up, wrap it up nicely and tell her that you are giving her a piece of jewelry that you love and that it has special meaning to you and you want her to have it and to think of you when she wears it. Weave some "magic", don't make it seem like you are giving her a piece you don't want anymore.

Super Contributor

MFitz, what you described isn't "re-gifting". It is giving someone you love something that you own and love and want her to have. Totally different thing in my book and might I add, very very sweet.

Re-gifting to me if giving someone a gift that you have received from someone else that you don't like, won't use, etc. You give YOUR gift as a gift sort of thing.

Valued Contributor

I've been doing this for years with my DD whose now 42. Each year since she's been 30 I have given her her own birthday gifts plus a piece of jewelry from my own collection. On her 30th I gave her a necklace that my parents gave me when I was 30 and although I didn't intend to do this every year, her joy at getting that necklace made me so happy that I decided to make it a tradition every year. Some years it's a piece of fine jewelry (this year it was a bangle bracelet my husband gave me for one of my birthdays) but some years it's an inexpensive piece that she might have admired when she saw me wearing it one day.

I'm not going to live forever and one day in the future she'll get it all anyway, why not see her enjoy it now.

Maria

Trusted Contributor

never! Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I don't consider this a re-gift either.

Respected Contributor

On 9/11/2014 brii said:

ITA! I intend to do the same thing with my nieces.

Honored Contributor

I think it's a nice idea, and no, not technically re-gifting, not that it really matters, and yes, I'd tell her that you wanted her to have something from your collection. Chances are, there's a piece you know she likes and receiving it might well mean far more to her than something new!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...