Super Contributor

Can Bixby Jewelry be sized smaller????

Considering it has that little flower on the back of the band, is it still possible to resize?

Honored Contributor

Re: Can Bixby Jewelry be sized smaller????

A jeweler (silversmith) would have to destroy the flower to size the ring. Sizing could also crack or destroy whatever stone is set in the ring. You may even have difficulty finding someone willing to undertake the task. To me it seems like a really bad idea. You could have a sizing bar added to the ring or use one of the plastic gadgets that make rings smaller.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Hi gemlover, I don't post much but wanted to let you know that Bixby's rings CAN be resized, but you need to locate a jeweler who is very familiar with sizing silver AND someone who can remove the flower on the shank and replace it. I have an excellent jeweler who has sized several Bixby rings for me and replaced the flower with no problem. The only thing I wouldn't try to size is a ring with a softer stone, like the new fluorite ring. And of course, if you only need to do one size up or down, it should be fine. The key is to find an experienced jeweler. He or she will let you know if there might be damage to a stone before getting it sized. (Sizing Ripka's ring are more of a problem because of the rhodium plating) Good luck!

Super Contributor

I love her jewelry and have quite a number! I do not like the flower on the band because i hit things (& myself) with it and it is very uncomfortable. Wish she would stop putting them on or smaller and flat on the band. Lovr my Grasshopper.
Valued Contributor

I have beautiful prasiolite ring from BB and had it resized. The flower was reattached with no problem.But the pp is right, you need to find someone who specializes in silver.

Super Contributor

Unfortunately,it is the fluorite ring I am referring to sizing. Perhaps a half a size smaller would work. I just don't want to chance breaking the stone. I wish Barbara would leave that off her ring; it would simplify sizing. I have to see my alternatives are. If there was a size 7 available that would do it. But there are not any left.
Valued Contributor

On 9/7/2014 kachina624 said: A jeweler (silversmith) would have to destroy the flower to size the ring. Sizing could also crack or destroy whatever stone is set in the ring. You may even have difficulty finding someone willing to undertake the task. To me it seems like a really bad idea. You could have a sizing bar added to the ring or use one of the plastic gadgets that make rings smaller.

You must have a really crummy jeweler--sorry to say. My jeweler has resized MANY of my BB rings with absolutely NO problem, didn't destroy the flower and reattached it. Just find a reputable silversmith.

Honored Contributor

When you heat a ring to 1500 degrees, you run a real chance of cracking the stone and I did have it happen with an amethyst ring. I do have another jeweler with a laser welder but their price to size a silver ring starts at $40 for a small, thin band and quickly escalates. The laser produces no heat but it's hard to find a jeweler that has one.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

The Bixby ring can successfully be resized as long as you make sure the silversmith is aware that you want the flower to be left on the bottom as in original design. Also make sure they don't take the designer signature marking off on the inside of the ring.