Frequent Contributor

What I really loved about Joan Rivers...

is that she wore her own jewelry designs---the ones she brought to QVC---OFTEN in real life. She herself would point that out---"Here I am wearing the torsade on Fashion Police" etc.

THAT was impressive!

And I learned soooo much from her about jewelry from her own personal collection, Faberge eggs, the Russian czars, her travels, her family, etc. She was the ultimate storyteller.

I agree wholeheartedly with the observation of a poster on another forum that QVC viewers knew the REAL Joan.

What a great life she led--right up until the last moment. We should all be so blessed.

Valued Contributor

Re: What I really loved about Joan Rivers...

I was always impressed that she wore her own jewelry & clothes in real life, too--and she had plenty of $$ to wear much more expensive items.

I loved how she rescued dogs. She seemed to love them with all her heart. And if I am remembering correctly, in her documentary from 2010, it was discussed how she helped numerous people's famlies...children of employees, so they could get a good education, things like that. And she seemed sharp as a tack, even at 81! My brain is foggy as all get-out, and she had decades on me, lol.

Will miss her special vibe that she brought to QVC. One of a kind, for sure.

Does anyone know if the brand will continue, as Jeanne Bice's has?

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

Hi cali-girl. I just mentioned that very point in another thread. It made her pieces seem more special when you saw her wearing it on TV. Sad.
Esteemed Contributor

After watching so many clips of her thru the many decades, she seldom repeated the same jokes. She rarely stumbled. She had something to say about everything --- and it always came out funny. Her calendar had 25 more bookings thru November, including several dates in Las Vegas. When did she sleep? Last night Kathy Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotbe hosted an hour long tribute to her. She supported many children of her staff to go to college. She was involved with many charities.

Her parents were Russian immigrants. I think her work ethic may have come from that; work hard and you'll be successful. She grew up during the depression. Humor comes from pain. She was truly funny and irreplaceable. I'm 73 yrs old and I remember her on the Ed Sullivan Show in the 1960's --- so I'm very sad.

Trusted Contributor

She was timeless and effervescent and she never gave up. I often felt she would live on for many, many years and she will be missed. Great post OP!

Valued Contributor

On 9/6/2014 SerenityNowMyndi said:

Does anyone know if the brand will continue, as Jeanne Bice's has?

I hope it does continue. I've read that over the years the brand has done over a billion dollars for QVC. What they should do is to reproduce at a lower price point some of Joans favorite clothing and jewelry pieces. She had such a beautiful and extensive wardrobe and gorgeous jewelry. That fellow who was always on with her could present it and tell stories about the clothing (how and when she wore it) and share some of his memories of her. They can donate a portion of the sales to Joan's favorite charities. I think that would work.

Valued Contributor

When one door closed for her she kicked down the next and never gave up.
New Contributor

I loved Joan Rivers for her humor. I loved her ballsy boldness & she owned it. I knew her Joan Rivers the entertainer. But I knew nothing of her charitable work & how she helped so many people & animals alike until after her passing. And now I respect her even more. She was total class! A lot of people can take a page outta her life's work & look how a class act is. Her work ethic was incredible. She did not feel entitled like a lot of celebrities nowadays act, (like the Kardashians or the Justin Biebers) And I watch the 20/20 documentary last night of her & realized this poor woman worked her butt off from nothing not once but twice in her life & made it. I thought she would just lived forever (I really hoped she would). Her humor yes was shocking & off color but she was right! She said what everyone was thinking & did not give a hoot about being politically correct & I LOVE & LOVED her for that. So thank you Joan! My favorite times to watch her was right here on the Q especially with Dennis Basso! Those two kept me laughing so hard my ribs would hurt after the show. So Joan I hope you are up there with the other greats in the ultimate comedy club up there & I am sorry that Carson treated you that way & I bet he is sorry now for doing so. May God comfort your Melissa & Cooper. I am sure they are missing you. We miss you too. Dear powers that be at the Q please keep Joan's line going because like her it's fabulous. RIP Joan with heavy hearts we love you.

Valued Contributor

Do any of you have a favorite product from the Joan Rivers line? I love the Good Hair Day product, and would hate to see that leave production! I also adore her many beautiful, long faceted glass bead necklaces. I could cheerfully buy every single one of them.

SerenityNow!
"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her; still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings." ~Victor Hugo
Honored Contributor

Funny isn't it, that she had more money than all the QVC hosts combined and yet she wore her own stuff. Hosts, you could take a lesson here. Lower yourself to wear the QVC items you are selling to us.