Honored Contributor

Sleeping Beauty Turquoise.... Mine's Closed Mine's Closed OMG

From everything I've heard, and I sure could be missing something, the panic and hype over the closing of the Sleeping Beauty Mine has been spectacular IMHO. I mean, it's a gorgeous stone, and who wouldn't love some of it but my gosh, the prices of it have skyrocketed and the pieces keep getting smaller and the quantity starts dimishing.

Well... the Mine has closed and unless the designers were fortunate enough to buy a lot at the old prices and stockpile it... well, you know.

I just heard from a friend of mine in Arizona (she makes authentic Indian jewelry and yes, uses SBT).... that the mine in Globe Arizona is not mining SBT right now but has switched to mining copper~! Old news to us? Perhaps... but she also told me that the mine won't be mining SBT for at least four years. I hadn't heard that part of the story. That the plan is to reopen the mine for Sleeping Beauty Turquoise in about four years. Weren't we under the impression that the mine closed because it has run out of turquoise?

While the prices will probably go up (what doesn't?)... the mine hasn't closed for good. It isn't even closed, it's mining something else for at least four years with the intention of opening it up to Sleeping Beauty Turquoise again.

/full story.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Re: Sleeping Beauty Turquoise.... Mine's Closed Mine's Closed OMG

Oh no, Mr. Bill !!!!!!!
Trusted Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Justice4all said: Oh no, Mr. Bill !!!!!!!
You AND your Mr. Bill got run over by a SBT mining truck. LOL.
Honored Contributor

Hmmm ..... sounds like they are taking a page from the DeBeers playbook to keep the prices of diamonds up.

Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

Hmmm ..... sounds like they are taking a page from the DeBeers playbook to keep the prices of diamonds up.

This is EXACTLY the observation my husband made to me a couple of months ago.

Honored Contributor

You'd think the vendors and hosts would get at least a wee bit embarrassed to keep repeating the SB story. Notice how the scarcer it gets, the more we see?

There have been mines that have closed and they all had turquoise more valuable than that coming from the SB Mine. It has always been considered a utility stone used where finer turquoise was not need as in "tourist" jewelry and in the Zuni petite point jewelry.

My favorite mine, Morenci, closed years ago. At the time of its closing, a caustic substance was put on the turquoise to destroy it, then it was back filled with tons of rock and dirt. I want to cry every time I think of it. Such beautiful turquoise! Gone forever. It makes SB look sick.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

it seems pretty apparent to me that the entire SBT hysteria was just hype to push up prices and sales....I have bought none of it as I have plenty of turquoise jewelry; I was lucky enough to teach on a reservation many years ago....every payday, the Indian jewelry makers just happened to appear in the parking area when teachers were leaving...I have exquisite pieces; the SB is beautiful but it doesn't look worth how much they want for a lot of it.

Super Contributor

OMG! This is the first time I have heard this!
Super Contributor

For some reason, I'm not surprised...I had feeling there was something more to this story...I think I had heard something of the sort but didnt pay attention...and then all the hysteria of the mine closing ensued. It's beautiful turquoise, but I've also seen even more beautiful turquoise. Bottomline, it's probably best to buy it because you love it ...not because the mine is closed!
Trusted Contributor

I'm glad I bought my Sleeping Beauty years ago when it wasn't hyped like this. I have some nice pieces and couldn't even afford the items they are showing today. I live in AZ... there is more turquoise out there and a lot of it looks like SB. They are doing to SB like they did with Drusy and Black Spinel. The gemstone of the moment to hype. Although, I do like Black Spinel. Spinel was always an under-rated stone.