Regular Contributor

14k White gold rhodium plating

Does the rhodium plating on 14k white gold wear off after some time?
Respected Contributor

Re: 14k White gold rhodium plating

Yes it does. High points at first. Many have items like rings redone a few times a year.

Respected Contributor

Yes, the yellow gold color starts showing through especially in high wear areas, like back of ring.
Contributor

It wears off, but rhodium is an extremely hard coating, a member of the platinum family, and that's why white gold is plated with it. White gold itself is not shiny..nor is platinum...platinum is also rhodium plated, from what I understand. White gold is made of different metals alloyed with gold but it isn't yellow in its unplated form...it's a dull, matte gray. You can have rings and other white gold jewelry replated with rhodium, but like I said, it's very durable and with regular wear should last quite a while before replating is required.

Respected Contributor

On 8/29/2014 3-M said:

White gold itself is not shiny..nor is platinum...platinum is also rhodium plated, from what I understand. White gold is made of different metals alloyed with gold but it isn't yellow in its unplated form...it's a dull, matte gray.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess you haven't seen white gold casting grains in person. Everything you said is untrue. White gold polishes just like yellow gold and many women never replate their white gold after the initial plating wears off. The white gold has a slight golden tinge, that is all.

http://www.stuller.com/apps/images/kbpdfs/x1.pdf

Respected Contributor

Rhodium plating on gold will wear off over time. How quickly depends upon the quality of the original plating process, and that varies. If the underlying gold is alloyed white gold, then you might not see much of a difference. The jewelry won't look as shiny, but it will still be white metal.

But, if the underlying gold was yellow gold, then when the rhodium wears off, you will see a yellow metal. Not all 'white gold' jewelry is really alloyed white gold. Less expensive items are often yellow gold that has been plated with rhodium to look like white gold. And it's often difficult to find out when you buy an item. Many jewelry and department stores don't know and don't even understand the question.

Respected Contributor

Have a bracelet that has white gold sections alternating with yellow gold. Had the shiny white gold sections " matted " so they would contrast better with the shiny yellow gold. Beautiful, now you can see the difference!
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

Lost and found the one- carat diamond from my wedding band twice. My jeweler finally said it's time to use platinum rather than soft white gold for the retaining prongs on the raised stone. More expensive but safer.
We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill