Honored Contributor

Come join us in talking about the beautiful stone. We're turquoise lovers; a lot of us also love Carolyn Pollack's jewelry and some like it more generic. It's all about the stone. We'd like to see photos of your pieces and we'll try to answer any questions you might have. We don't know it all but we have a lot of resources we've accumulated and we'll try to find an answer. If your collection is modest, we'd still like to see it.

IPad users, there are instructions on the Electronics Forum on how to post your photos. I'd be glad to help if you have trouble

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I need an opinion. I have this nice necklace with a non-removable pendant in a mint green spider-web. I never wear it because I never wear green. I was thinking I could cut it off, put an enhancer bale on it to use elsewhere, then use the necklace for many of my CP and other pendants. I held the new silver naja up to it and it looked smashing. This is the type of chain(?) that is the base for many squash blossom necklaces. What do you think, should I do it?

I couldn't get a really good photo of the pendant. Any light washes it out.

photo imagejpg1-31.jpg

photo imagejpg1-33.jpg
Super Contributor

YEAH KACHINA, you did it - start the thread that is! Such a good idea! We maybe should move some of the picture posts from the sleeping beauty thread over here as well.

To answer your question, if you don't wear green (and it is so beautiful to me), yes I would have it cut off so you can put the native pearls to good use. Right there where the pendant is attached, it looks like there are three smaller native pearls, correct? That's ok - would be a good place to hang any enhancer on it. The solid silver naja would be fabulous with it.

So what are you going to do with that pretty piece of turquoise???

Honored Contributor
I don't know Haca, maybe wear it on something else. It's really pretty, much darker and more consistently colored than I could photograph. I found some enhancer bales from a seller in Hong Kong that come in handy. Do you have any clue as to how to transfer the other photos over? I don't. Yes, there are 3 small "pearls".
Valued Contributor
I love love love blue color....perhaps because I'm a December baby Smiley Wink Got a 5 stone ring and it's pretty but how can I tell it's real stone and not plastic?
Honored Contributor

I recently went through a jewelry box I haven't been in for at least maybe 2 years.

I'd forgotten about some of this jewelry. It was bought before gold hit the roof.

What is making me post here is that I found some amazing turquois jewelry. I have some necklaces that are all turquois. It is so clear and beautiful it looks like the old Neco waffers (it must be from that Sleeping Beauty mine).

The problem with jewelry is that when you try to give it to family members if they don't understand the value of it or like it well, too bad.

Hopefully when my grandchildren get older (right now the oldest is just (a few days ago)) turning 12 years old! Ha!

Super Contributor
On 8/15/2014 kachina624 said: I don't know Haca, maybe wear it on something else. It's really pretty, much darker and more consistently colored than I could photograph. I found some enhancer bales from a seller in Hong Kong that come in handy. Do you have any clue as to how to transfer the other photos over? I don't. Yes, there are 3 small "pearls".

Here's today's lesson in loving matrix. The bracelet below is huge...the stone alone is 2 X 1 3/4". It is old #8 Mine, verified by Joe Dan Lowery at the Turquoise Museum. I'm not positive about the pendant but would guess Royston. The ring is a mystery; it has a lot of specks of pyrite, could be Morenci but matrix doesn't look right. May be Kingman. The chain is by Carolyn Pollack.

Note how the matrix is pretty much evenly distributed...that's one way to judge a good quality stone. Unfortunate if you shop on TV, you're at the mercy of the stock clerk in the warehouse but you don't have to keep it.

photo imagejpg1-16.jpg

Here you go, Kachina, this came from you: Lesson in Matrix. Just copy and paste. Wish everything were as easy.

Super Contributor

Hi Annabelle, what on earth are Neco wafers? Smile Something good to eat??

Honored Contributor
The were a roll of thin hard candies that were popular in the fifties.
Honored Contributor
On 8/15/2014 tough_kitty said: I love love love blue color....perhaps because I'm a December baby Smiley Wink Got a 5 stone ring and it's pretty but how can I tell it's real stone and not plastic?
Heat a needle in a flame, then try to penetrate the stone in an inconspicuous place. If it's plastic there should be a tiny pinprick of melted area