Honored Contributor

So excited....then read the fine print....resin filled

I saw a bracelet in the gold rush preview for tomorrow that I fell in love with.....a turquoise and gold bangle. So pretty, decent price, I estimated the gold weight for the price in my head. Then I read the fine print. That it's filled with resin means it has, maybe, 1/4 to 1/3 of the gold it should for the price.

Crossed that off my list.

Honored Contributor

Re: So excited....then read the fine print....resin filled

....and your point is ????

Regular Contributor

Gone are the days on QVC when you could assume that a piece of gold jewelry did not have a silicone or resin core. You definitely have to read the descriptions carefully if you want to ensure getting a piece that's solid or hollow without any ""fillers.""

Occasional Contributor

Try to look at it this way: How much do you love the bracelet, Regardless of whether it's solid gold? As long as the seller (in this case QVC) is honest about adding the resin, it shouldn't be a problem. If anything, it should give it a nice weight. Sometimes it's better to have the look you love in a piece of jewelry than not have it at all--which may have been the case if it was all gold and too expensive or too light. I used to be somewhat of a jewelry snob and purist (not saying that you are, btw) and would only wear real gold, silver, and stones. And while I still mostly wear the real thing, I have a couple of pieces that I love and have absolutely no idea what they are--and couldn't care less since I love them so much. I think of it as loving and enjoying the piece because I just love it--the look of it--regardless of what it's made out of. Even Jackie Kennedy never wore real pearls. You sound as though you really love the bracelet and were so excited to get it. It would be a shame not to give it a try.
Esteemed Contributor

I have enough jewelry so it is not a matter of buying this Gold Rush. But I saw this topic and, yes, the Q is honest. But many gold pieces over time are meant to be something to pass down, to share and to even sell. With the new resin fillers I am wondering if there might be others who are not so honest. Or if in some way some pieces will always be suspect. I am only thinking of value, not beauty. Another words if I buy gold I WANT IT TO BE ACCORDING TO THE OLD STANDARD. And if I buy something I want it to have value to pass down to my daughters. Just my feelings, not meant to be critical of others who buy the gold pieces being offered.

Frequent Contributor

You should be glad that it is filled with resin or your bracelet would not last very long. Gold is very soft, therefore it dents and scratches very easily. I don't know if you are familiar with Eternagold, but their gold is also filled with another alloy so that it does not dent, etc. I have had two gold bracelets from Eternagold and had no problem with them other that they were stolen from me which is very upsetting to me. But they were very upfront about the gold being bonded to an alloy so that they don't dent, etc. I don't have a problem at all when they say it is filled with resin. It means your jewelry will last much longer and keep it's beauty longer.

Contributor

I personally would not buy resin filled jewelry. People have been wearing gold jewelry forever and it has held up without being resin filled. This process is a way for QVC to use a minimal amount of gold while filling the inner core with resin.
Esteemed Contributor

On 8/15/2014 suzyq3101 said: I personally would not buy resin filled jewelry. People have been wearing gold jewelry forever and it has held up without being resin filled. This process is a way for QVC to use a minimal amount of gold while filling the inner core with resin.

I have to agree with you......and the prices for the resin filled pieces are way too high.....

Respected Contributor

On 8/15/2014 luv my Golden said:

You should be glad that it is filled with resin or your bracelet would not last very long. Gold is very soft, therefore it dents and scratches very easily. I don't know if you are familiar with Eternagold, but their gold is also filled with another alloy so that it does not dent, etc. I have had two gold bracelets from Eternagold and had no problem with them other that they were stolen from me which is very upsetting to me. But they were very upfront about the gold being bonded to an alloy so that they don't dent, etc. I don't have a problem at all when they say it is filled with resin. It means your jewelry will last much longer and keep it's beauty longer.

Your portrayal of eternagold is erroneous. Choosing to add a stronger metal to a alloy mix to make it more dent resistant and filling a item or coating a item are very different.

Honored Contributor

If the price is right, I don't have a problem with purchasing a piece I otherwise love with resin filling for day to day wear. I don't want a whole collection of it but then neither does every piece I own have to be an 'investment' piece.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...