Frequent Contributor

Selling your old gold and silver

Hi Ladies - I am cleaning out my jewelry and I have a lot of gold and silver that I just don't wear anymore that I would like to sell. I have some questions for you experts out there that have sold your gold and silver to be melted down.

(1) Did you use the internet or a local jewelry buyer? If internet, what website did you use and were you happy? Is one better than the other?

(2) I am unsure as to what type of gold and silver I have, i.e., 14k, 10k, gold filled, etc. Do they send back what they won't buy?

(3) Is it worth selling silver and will they buy it?

(4) What about stones? I have some rings, with very small stones in them - not worth much. Do they take those? What do they do with the stones?

(5) Any things I need to be aware of that you learned in the process?

TIA!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Selling your old gold and silver

Don't ever use an internet site to sell your jewelry. I did once and I basically lost everything.

The envelopment went into a big black hole of nothingness...post office claimed my tracking information was no where to be found...they could not track the package, and the internet site claimed they never received my items. I tried to fight the post office and the internet site for a couple of months, but both were putting their heads in the sand and wanting me to file a ton of paperwork to try to get a monetary value back. When I did not have authorized proof of the value of my jewelry, I finally gave up.

Pricey lesson learned.

If you want to sell your stuff, go to a local jewelry. Heck, even a pawn shop is better than those internet sites...

Super Contributor

When I sold gold I had no problems getting a lot of money. I only sold when gold was highest and only items I hadn't worn in years.

Sadly silver is very different. It is treated as scrap metal. They weigh it and the amount you get is ""nothing"" compared to what you bought the item for. As far as designer pieces in silver you'd need to sell to someone who can appreciate that piece. If not it will get weighed and you won't get nearly what you spent on it. Getting so little for silver makes you think twice before ever buying any piece of silver designer or not.

Respected Contributor

Us Gold buyers payout listed daily on their site.

Safe and payout more than any others we've found. Many ladies here have sold to them and they do receive your goods and pay for them to be shipped to them.

Yes they buy silver, don't sell them ripka or designer silver, you get scrap silver pricing. Ebay is better for getting better prices for designer silver.

Gems can be left in items but you won't be paid unless they are great quality diamonds. You can chat with them before you send them the items. They will send you the payout the next day by phone so you can decide if you want to deal with them or not.

Honored Contributor

a friend of mine went to to places one a ""fancier"" place and the other nice but no so designer

the designer offered her more money for her gold. I would say go to 3 places in your area and then decide. Do not go with anyone who gives you a ""only today"" type of deal.

Contributor

On 7/29/2014 jackthebear said:

a friend of mine went to to places one a ""fancier"" place and the other nice but no so designer

the designer offered her more money for her gold. I would say go to 3 places in your area and then decide. Do not go with anyone who gives you a ""only today"" type of deal.

Why would an 'only today' deal be a bad thing??? Gold prices change daily so the buyer has to be current in the prices he offers....

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the tips ladies. My silver is not designer stuff - if it was I could just sell on ebay. It is just miscellaneous silver items I purchased at the Q and elsewhere. Sounds like it might not even be worth it to bother with the silver.

Super Contributor

I agree with the posters who say they would never mail anything. I've sold gold to a local jeweler at different times. Sometimes I got more, sometimes less. I've never sold silver.

Esteemed Contributor

I sold my gold to US Gold buyers and it was a great experience. They call you with a total and if it doesn't suit you, they will return it to you.

My silver I sold to a local pawn shop

Contributor

I've used US Goldbuyers three times now. Once for a bunch of silver and twice for gold. Shipping to them is free if the gold is over a certain weight, I weighed on a food scale and knew I met the weight. Silver is free at a much higher weight so I wouldn't send in a small amount of silver.

No problems at all. Items are shipped through FedEx, insured and tracked. I did watch prices and sold when it was high.

I popped out any stones and photographed everything I sent. They call the day they receive it and go over any questions. There are several ways for payout, I always got a check in the mail. Very professional. I didn't even want to venture into any local stores with a "We buy Gold" sign in the window.

Would use them again if I had the need but I'm pretty well cleared and sorted now to things I want to keep.

"Designer" (RLM, Tacori) items I sold on eBay and made back what I paid or got more for them.

Good luck, whichever way you choose to go...