Regular Contributor

Most rubies are mostly lead glass

Fascinating story about how they "make" rubies with a bit of corundum and lead glass and they are being sold in major jewelers and department stores as high prices. They explain how it is done and further explain that an easy way to check is to put it in jewelry cleaning solution. When you take it out a real natural stone will sparkle but the solution will start to break down the composite leaving white dull streaks on the stone.

http://www.today.com/news/red-ruby-alert-major-stores-selling-gems-filled-glass-1D79975847

Super Contributor

Re: Most rubies are mostly lead glass

Wow...thanks for the info!

Super Contributor

Macys just sent a bunch of catalogs for their upcoming jewelry sale. There is a page of striking Effy ""ruby"" jewelry - however - the descriptions are marked with a dagger and the fine print states ""rubies are lead-glass filled"".

Valued Contributor

Several years ago Diane Sawyer did a segment on one of the news shows about rubies and how you can get duped buying them. Her husband, Mike Nichols bought her a gorgeous ruby necklace for an anniversary gift and she took it to be analyzed for the show. Many of the rubies in it were fake. He paid a bundle for it and even then he was cheated. I'm sure he bought it from a reputable jeweler as well.

Honored Contributor

I've never liked rubies, or emeralds . . . and for that matter, diamonds leave me cold and so do pearls.

I love morganite, aquamarine, and opals.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

Not a ruby fan here either, but love sapphires. Sapphires are my birthstone.
Super Contributor

I do have a bracelet with this type of ruby and it is a gorgeous bracelet. The color of the rubies are so intense and vibrant. I really love it. Now, having said this, I think the bracelet is enough and I have no plans to purchase more of this type of ruby.

We all have two lives. The second begins when you realize you only have one - Confucius
Respected Contributor

I love rubies, have a small pair of earrings bought at an estate sale many years ago that are very pretty. I have seen a lot of the rubies they are selling now are all lead glass filled and somehow that doesn't make me want to buy them so I don't.

Super Contributor

If it looked good, I'd happily wear glass. The issue for me is charging gem prices for cheap fakes.

Honored Contributor

I have never had a problem distinguishing a real ruby from a fake. Real rubies are simply not flawless with perfect color. Anything costing less than $5000+ that appears to be a "perfect" ruby in a larger (1/2 to 1 carat+) ... isn't. Genuine rubies sold today are nearly always opaque or mostly opaque in decent sizes, and the ones that are clearer are pink, not ruby red. True gem quality (as opposed to someone trying to convince you that what is sold on a shopping channel or in J.C. Penney, Kohl's or even Macy's is gem quality) rubies have been scarce for decades and cost in the many thousands of dollars except for small, off-color stones.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all