Valued Contributor

Taxes on items ordered thru mail

I was told today by a major jewelry store that recently (in the last 3 months) the tax laws changed. NOW a store has to charge tax on a mail order even if there is not company presence in the state it's being sent to. I find it hard to believe as no one has mentioned here in the forums. We heard it was coming, but did anyone hear that the tax laws were actually changed recently???

Honored Contributor

Re: Taxes on items ordered thru mail

My ShopHQ orders are not taxed at all. My HSN internet orders are not taxed. I'm sure they will both comply if and when this law goes through. Brick and mortar stores have been complaining of unfair competition for years.

Valued Contributor

My order was from Helzberg jewelers and last Dec. they didn't charge me tax. Last week they charged me tax, even tho there is no presence of Helzberg in my state. They told me the law was passed in the last 3 months. I questioned that Amazon is still not charging me tax and Helzbergs said that is because Amazon is paying the taxes themselves for us so their prices don't go up. Something sounds weird to me. Helzberg is a big company.

Honored Contributor

Most internet retailers have been taking taxes for about 2 years now. The largest ones definitely have. QVC, HSN and Shop HQ have on all my orders and I understood it was for all states. It's actually been the topic for discussion on many posts since it started.

Valued Contributor

My HSN purchases are not taxed, at least not yet.

Valued Contributor

Actually this was not an internet purchase. I ordered directly from the store. I have read many of the threads on this topic here on the forums. I just never knew there was a change in the tax laws in the last 3 months. Haven't seen anyone mention that it had just been passed by the IRS. Very inconsistent across the various companies. Are some companies actually covering the tax themselves?

Respected Contributor

On 7/22/2014 mia 2 said:

My order was from Helzberg jewelers and last Dec. they didn't charge me tax. Last week they charged me tax, even tho there is no presence of Helzberg in my state. They told me the law was passed in the last 3 months. I questioned that Amazon is still not charging me tax and Helzbergs said that is because Amazon is paying the taxes themselves for us so their prices don't go up. Something sounds weird to me. Helzberg is a big company.

Don't kid yourself into believing that Amazon pays our taxes for us. A couple or three years ago, the Feds said online retailers had to collect tax on purchases whether or not they had a b&m presence in the buyer's state. Amazon wouldn't go along with it (I don't remember their reasoning). The bottom line on that is, if your state requires it, you have to declare those when you file your annual tax return.

Honored Contributor

On 7/22/2014 mia 2 said:

Actually this was not an internet purchase. I ordered directly from the store. I have read many of the threads on this topic here on the forums. I just never knew there was a change in the tax laws in the last 3 months. Haven't seen anyone mention that it had just been passed by the IRS. Very inconsistent across the various companies. Are some companies actually covering the tax themselves?

I was once told by one of the shopping channels that they didn't charge tax on orders placed on-line but they do on phone orders... I don't know if that's still accurate, but at the time it sure proved to be. Go figure.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

stevieb--That would explain what I experienced this week. The recent order out of state was a phone order from the store. The December order was an on-line order. They charged tax on the order to the store but not to the on-line order. Thanks for making ""some"" sense out of this.

Esteemed Contributor

So far my state Md taxes in the company is located in the state. I get charged tax on QVC, not sure why, they are not here. However, no tax Amazon, HSN, ShopNBC.