Honored Contributor

Are Jewelers Still Removing Watch Links for Free?

If you recently had watch links removed by a jeweler, what did you pay? Many jewelers used to do this for free, even if you did not buy the watch from them.

Contributor

Re: Are Jewelers Still Removing Watch Links for Free?

If you have a personal jeweler that you have purchased from for many years they might do it for free.. I just had links removed from a watch I just purchased and they charged me $15. I was a little shocked that they charged that much but suppose I shouldn't be. I should mention that I did not purchase the watch from the jeweler that I took it to for the sizing
Esteemed Contributor

Hosts should stop telling consumers that the jewelers will do it free...that is not so...$15.00 is a lot of money to add on top of the product bought....plus s&h....then that expense...

Honored Contributor

Free hahahhahahaha

Super Contributor

It depends on the jeweler. My jeweler, who I've been purchasing from for about 25 years, does all sorts of "free" services for me...but if I were to take an item to one of those fast fix places in the mall I would absolutely expect to pay. I find that with watches, most retailers if they carry the line will make adjustments for free, regardless of where it was purchased. So it depends, but you shouldn't have to spend more than $15-$25 for the fix.

Honored Contributor

My DH is able to remove links from most of my watches. If I do take them to my jeweler, yes he removes them for free. Whenever I take him watches to have batteries put in, he always cleans my watches for me as well, free of charge.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been paying about $10 to remove links from watches not purchased from the jeweler. When I was buying a lot of jewelry he would remove them for free but I don't have him any longer. I think if you buy the watch from the jeweler they should not charge you for removing links.

Respected Contributor

Some do for the good will it provides. I guess you could call around or buy the tools and do it yourself.

Honored Contributor

My favorite local jeweler used to do lots of little services without charge or for a very low charge. Not so much nowadays, but two things have changed. First, I buy almost no new jewelry from him (or from anyone else), and two, the jewelry business in my small town is struggling to survive any way it can. I don't like it, but I do understand why they charge a fee for some things that used to be free.

Super Contributor

The jewelry store that I have a good relationship with never charges me to remove links. But they do charge customers $5.

The Rolex store doesn't charge to remove or add links even if you didn't buy your Rolex from that particular store. The Tag and Omega stores do the same.

I think that $15 is a little much for links. Even watch batteries aren't that much. However having a good watch serviced is a lot more.