Esteemed Contributor

I like many of the items made with Abalone, Mother of Pearl, and other shell bead/button items. Some don't think it's should every be considered jewelry as they tell me it's only and accessory. Sure they aren't mined diamonds but they are items of nature and many have such a lovely luster. What are your thoughts?

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Super Contributor

I like mother of pearl, too.

I love natural abalone from the north Pacific; unfortunately, we usually get the Paua abalone from the south, and it's usually in a doublet.

When I was in TJMaxx the other day, they had a lot of Paua abalone.

Honored Contributor

I have several lovely pieces of MOP jewelry - mostly from Lee Sands.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a few pieces of shell jewelry and it looks very nice. I am not referring to the touristy looking stuff. I get admirers until they learn the item/s are made of shell.

Respected Contributor

Depends on the metal doesn't it? A shell you found on the shore that you've strung on a cord is different from a shell set in 14K.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Trusted Contributor

I love MOP, especially for the warm weather months. I have some beautiful Suarti pieces that I pull out for spring and summer.

Super Contributor

I recently acquired J275569 set with Abalone. I'm thrilled with the pendant, and the price, exceptional for what you receive.

Contributor

They're not jems, but they're very pretty. I have several bangle bracelets made with a few pearls and shells strung on heavy gauge sterling wire or 14k clad sterling wire. They are very popular where I live. Here's an example I found with pearls. https://www.etsy.com/listing/95849553/pale-pink-pearl-sterling-silver-bangles?ref=listing-shop-heade...

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all for posting. This is my second attempt. Yes, the metals will raise the price and some designs are breathtaking. I have a few on leather cord for casual wear. My pricier items are on the metals. I enjoy them and don't have an issue with them just because they are shells. They are not diamonds or pearls but they are just as lovely.

Super Contributor
On 4/14/2014 kathoderay said:

I recently acquired J275569 set with Abalone. I'm thrilled with the pendant, and the price, exceptional for what you receive.

I paid full price for this pendant a few years back. It's well worth that price, so if anyone wants to try it at the as-is price, I would encourage it.