Respected Contributor

WATCH COLLECTORS--APRIL 2014

Hello everyone....

Welcome to our watch collectors' thread for April 2014.

It may be April 1, but we're no fools! We are crazy, however. Crazy about watches, about finding good deals and about helping others find that special piece. Or maybe find out something they didn't know about a watch. Don't worry, we'll be learning right along with you! Of course, if you would like to come on in say hello..that's great, too!

Contributor

Re: WATCH COLLECTORS--APRIL 2014

Good morning, all! I just wanted to post my review of the new Renato beauties 626-838. I ordered both (no April fools!) since it was free shipping and I thought I would only keep one.... Well, I love both of them. This beauty is a little bigger than the GT creamy yellow MOP in the March thread that Phoenixbird posted about - 40 mm instead of 36 - and I really like both!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} The champagne has that same creamy yellow MOP dial as the GT beauty, and the python strap is a nice neutral, although it's a traditional buckle strap and just a bit stiff, but I suspect that will soften with wear. The green is really striking, and I don't have any green GT at all. I'm leaning towards keeping both, as it seems that there are fewer and fewer new women's Renatos. Decisions, decisions!

I hope that everyone has a great beginning to April. I am seeing the crocuses pop up everywhere and my daffodils are getting bigger. The birds are hitting my suet and birdseed like crazy; spring is definitely in the air!

Respected Contributor

Hi TooGoodToB­eTrue

Looks like you're all set with those new Beauties. The 40mm size sounds great. Enjoy your new watches.

Trusted Contributor

Good morning gals. Thx for starting the new thread, Java. I thought you were playing an April fools joke on us at first! no way another new month. TGTBT, I love both those watches. I know the feeling, keep one...end up keeping both. You certainly have a couple of real beauties there. I'd love the green but,,but......I'll keep a watch to it. Maybe a good deal coming up!! Speaking of Spring, it is 20 degrees with flurries. So much for Spring here ....yet.
Time Saver: Post item numbers. TY
Respected Contributor

Before I cut the March thread off, I had mentioned this watch. Very similar in look to the Cartier Santos (plus another) and the Rotary Mecanique. The Cartier is out of reach for most, the Rotary was a limited Swiss Made mechanical piece which will probably never be reproduced. They did reproduce Chinese of it, because I own that as well in the brown and goldtone. This particular by Vicenze has a sterling case, Swiss Parts movement and 3ATM water resistant (which means just simply you won't have to worry about getting caught in the rain or washing your hands. It's standard water resistance.) This is a very attractive piece and it comes in three metal colors. They have also posted the video.

Vicence Sterling Roman Numeral Cushion Dial Leather Watch

Respected Contributor

TGTBT: thanks for the review on your new Renato watches. Enjoy your new watches. I'm craving the green one. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} But now that you described the mop on the other dial, I want that one too! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I appreciate your mentioning the size of the case. I hadn't realized they had changed that. I was so focused on the movement and crystal descriptions, that I just 'assumed' it was the same as the original 35mm Wildebeast case. I don't know if I'm happy it's bigger or if I wish it were the same. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Java: thanks for starting the new April thread. I have the larger size of the Rotary Mechanique from years ago. Very handsome watch. And I like the Q version too, but I don't like the choice of sterling silver. I have several sterling watches, from years ago, and I find them difficult to keep tarnish free as they age. In the beginning they are fine, but over time they tarnish and it's hard to remove unless you keep up with it regularly. I too prefer stainless steel for a watch case/bracelet.

Jena: the choice of IV and IIII are apparently artistic decisions by the watch designer. Both are used. I prefer IV, but some designers think the IIII provides either a more interesting look or better balance with some of the other numerals.

Respected Contributor

On 4/1/2014 lavenderjunkie said:

TGTBT: thanks for the review on your new Renato watches. Enjoy your new watches. I'm craving the green one. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} But now that you described the mop on the other dial, I want that one too! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I appreciate your mentioning the size of the case. I hadn't realized they had changed that. I was so focused on the movement and crystal descriptions, that I just 'assumed' it was the same as the original 35mm Wildebeast case. I don't know if I'm happy it's bigger or if I wish it were the same. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

Java: thanks for starting the new April thread. I have the larger size of the Rotary Mechanique from years ago. Very handsome watch. And I like the Q version too, but I don't like the choice of sterling silver. I have several sterling watches, from years ago, and I find them difficult to keep tarnish free as they age. In the beginning they are fine, but over time they tarnish and it's hard to remove unless you keep up with it regularly. I too prefer stainless steel for a watch case/bracelet.

Jena: the choice of IV and IIII are apparently artistic decisions by the watch designer. Both are used. I prefer IV, but some designers think the IIII provides either a more interesting look or better balance with some of the other numerals.

I never buy sterling silver watches because of the tarnish factor. I hadn't carried over all of the previous discussion. Stainless steel is best and I had noted that. The plated versions shouldn't tarnish as readily, I would think. (I am drawing upon my experience with plated silver and that hasn't tarnished. I wear it for every day.) Nice watch and a nice departure from the typical tank homage.

I came back because I wanted to remind people that we have lots of watch shows this week. Not just Invicta which begins tonight 11pm EST, but there will also be some Versace shows. No sight of the Lady Zeus yet. There are a few models on the Bay. The TTV for this Wednesday will be a 40mm, Pro Diver with a 24mm Pro Diver in a 8 slot case. Quartz. Well, they know how to keep us away! LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi ladies happy April Fool Day.

I extended my weekend by taking off a couple of days and it finaaly stopped raining nice and sunny out.

TooGoodtobetrue - enjoy your Renalto watches I am so loving the green but trying to hold steady and not buy.

Speaking of sterling silver watches I purchased only one thank goodness over twenty years ago probably one of my first watch purchases after the famous Timex that my parents brought me back in the day as a youth, but I learned my lesson with the tarnish never again it's stainless steel for me looks good all the time occasionally I'll wipe it down wit those microfiber cloths.

JavaQ- thanks for the heads up (I think) on the upcoming watch shows.{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}

Respected Contributor

It really makes you scratch your head about the stainless steel vs. silver. Especially since they sell very inexpensive stainless steel jewelry. Have never had problems with plated silver tarnishing. Never.

I am glad you shared your experience with a sterling watch and I bet many women who frequent this forum and buy from the Q have been persuaded that sterling is the better choice for a watch.

That reminds me; have to get some batteries replaced. I have been wearing my automatics in the meantime. Smiley Happy

Contributor

Hi JavaQ, I just put some pictures of the Renato in Photobucket, but I can't figure out what address I should put in the link section to get it to show here. Would you kindly explain how to do that, as you have it down! Thanks!