Super Contributor

Best place to have my white gold ring rhodium plated?

Has anyone had their white gold ring replated with rhodium? My ring is starting to yellow and I want to have it done. Are there different degrees of plating?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Best place to have my white gold ring rhodium plated?

What kind of White gold is this? Is it plated white gold or a real 14 k solid white gold? I have never heard of rhodium plated white gold??? are You sure its not silver? Or plated gold that is pealing off? Is this a QVC Ring? Need More deteails.

Super Contributor

It's solid white gold. I didn't buy it from QVC.

Trusted Contributor

I have a 14K white gold diamond anniversary band that my DH had made for me. I've had it for over 10 years and have had it rhodium plated a few times. I just did it last about a month ago...took it to my local jeweler that I trust and it came out beautifully! New looking with all that yellowness gone.

All I tell them is I need the ring cleaned up and re-plated to look like new again and I leave the rest to them. Again, I do trust that they will do a great job and they always do.

Respected Contributor

From my research there are 2 ways to do it.... quick and dirty, just dipping the ring...inexpensive and won't last OR the right way where the jewelry is cleaned and put into special equipment that really bonds the rhodium to the gold. The right way is more expensive, but worth it. Jewelers usually send the ring out to someone who has the equipment to do it the right way. Just be sure you understand what you are getting and the cost and that your ring is insured, if it's valuable (since it will not be in your jewelers possession the entire time). I'd go to a private jeweler, not a mall chain jeweler.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a Jared's near you?? I take mine there but any good quality jeweler can do it. I wouldn't take it to one of the mall jewelers though. Jared's does it on site and I can pick it up later that same day.
Esteemed Contributor

I've had it done on my wedding set by my jeweler. Really brings the original luster to the rings.

Respected Contributor

Ask if they do it in house or send it out. I would rather it didn't get shipped out. I also prefer palladium plating to rhodium. It's cheaper to do also.