Super Contributor

Today's show with Antonella, and last night's show with Jennifer, have had some really pretty amethysts. Deep purple.

When the deep purple falls
Over sleepy garden walls
And the stars begin to twinkle in the sky
In the mist of a memory you wander back to me
Breathing my name with a sigh

In the still of the night once again I hold you tight
Though you're gone
Your love lives on when moonlight beams
And as long as my heart will beat
Sweet lovers we'll always meet
Here in my deep purple dreams

Which is better, African or Brazilian? I remember those shows with Kathy Levine, when the Brazilian amethysts would fly out the door and the shows would end early.

Respected Contributor

Hi, Ennui, I think African amethyst is considered the finest for color due to the red/pink undertones versus the blue undertones in the Brazilian amethyst. Sammycat would know for sure. Both are beautiful in my opinion. And Michael Valitutti is having a big amy TTV I think on Feb 6th. It is an oval checkerboard cut 16 carat Tanzanian color change amethyst, or Uruguayan color change amy. I forget which. I'll bet the stone on that ring is incredible.

Super Contributor
On 2/3/2014 Jersey Born said:

Michael Valitutti is having a big amy TTV I think on Feb 6th. It is an oval checkerboard cut 16 carat Tanzanian color change amethyst, or Uruguayan color change amy. I forget which. I'll bet the stone on that ring is incredible.

I'll have to take a peek.

Respected Contributor

It is Tanzanian amy and the number is one three seven-six eight nine. While I am not a big fan of his settings, I sure do love his gemstones.

ETA: African is best when it comes to amy. Check out the picture of that amethyst. Wowsers!

ETA: Tanzanian African Amethyst is pretty spectacular, too.

Super Contributor

You can find the same amethyst photo on the GIA website. African ame is also full of inclusions, but who's going to care with that color! {#emotions_dlg.tt1}

Here's the current retail value guide for amethyst.

Esteemed Contributor

Love the lyrics to that oldie but goodie song.

African is a deeper shade than most Brazilian, and Uruguayan some of the deepest of all amethysts. Sometimes though in the bigger stones, deep, intense color can lack clarity.

There are retail and wholesale values on stones, but as an old GIA instructor of mine said, "Stones have certain benchmarks through which we determine quality and value. Ultimately, though, a stone [on the open market] is worth what someone is willing to pay for it."

Agree on your assessment of the show -- I caught only part of it, but there were some beautiful pieces and reasonable prices, too.

Respected Contributor

The finest Amy is Russian Imperial Amethyst. But it is not available anymore for the mass market. Then goes Bolivian and Uruguayan material ,color shift with blue tones. And African is also great, but it has red flashes in it. Brazilian is nice, but its color is unstable, have to be careful with sun light. But Brazilian is the only one they use to produce Prazeolite. (spell)

Michael is already posted his set, nice, but too big for me, I will pass.

Super Contributor
On 2/3/2014 Sammycat1 said:

Love the lyrics to that oldie but goodie song.

Better than Smoke on the Water?

I have a vintage amethyst ring -- the stone varies from fuchsia to smoky blue. I've never seen another stone like it.

Super Contributor
On 2/3/2014 SANNA said:

Brazilian is nice, but its color is unstable, have to be careful with sun light.

Any amethyst can fade. No matter where it comes from, it is still quartz.

Respected Contributor
On 2/3/2014 ennui1 said:
On 2/3/2014 SANNA said:

Brazilian is nice, but its color is unstable, have to be careful with sun light.

Any amethyst can fade. No matter where it comes from, it is still quartz.

Yeah, Amethists are delicate that way, but Brazilian are the weakest. As for songs, to me nobody beats Deep Purple. They were in our area 3 years ago. It was great ! I bought a poster. Love Ian G. He sang Smoke on the water.