Frequent Contributor

I read these forums often and learn so much from the ladies who post here. You all really know your jewlery facts. I have a question about Morganite. I bought a morganite ring from shop nbc a couple of months ago. It was a beautiful clear peachy pink stone set in rose gold and I was thrilled with it. I noticed though, that the stone has become cloudy and murky looking. I am very unhappy with it..but it is past the return date. I was wondering if anyone knows why this would happen..is this something that happens with this stone in particular? I have an aqua marine tennis bracelet in which the stones have clouded a little too, although not to the extent that the morganite did. I was thinking that this may be a problem with beryl stones, as it is my understanding that morganite an aqua marine are both in the beryl family of gemstones. I am going to call and complain to shopnbc, and hope that will give me a refund.

By the way..I am very careful with my jewelry and never expose it to chemicals , heat, cleaning products, etc. Basically when I come home..all jewelry comes off except my wedding ring.

New Contributor

Re: A Question About Morganite

I have a Morganite eternity band set in gold..turned ver cloudy.  After much research found that Morganite attracts all oils (even body oils), lotions, etc.  Have tried washing in dish soap and cleaning well underneath..still cloudy.  Last step is to make sure ring is completely dry..with a hair dryer.  Also have a 2 carat solitaire ring in Morgamite..this stone turned sparkly much faster than the eternity band.  I do use hand lotion and I think that is what caused this cloudy buildup.  You must clean Morganite almost every time you wear it to keep it beautiful..a high maintenance gemstone.  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

You should go to the EVINE website and look the gemstone care page, the page should include info about treatment and enhancements.  I cannot imagine that has to be cleaned every single time you wear it.  In that case, why wear it?  We all fall in love with our new jewelry and it's possible that it never was as bright and sparkly as you thought it was when it was new.  I had a similar experience with a tanzanite ring.  A few months after I bought it, it just wasn't as deep in color as I thought.  The ring hadn't changed, I was just seeing more objectively.  

Honored Contributor

Trophy, That is good information.  I do like morganite, the color is lovely.  I have never purchased, however this is good information to know in case I do purchase a piece.  I have never heard a host state this information.  This is why these forums are important.  We all learn from them.

Honored Contributor

You have to "clean" most stones frequently to maintain their pristine, clean, clear  look... I just cleaned my Judith Ripka tennis bracelet last night by gently brushing (soft bristles) top and bottom with gentle hand soap and it does a very nice job of maintaining the stones.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Occasional Contributor

It is true about this cloudiness more than likely is due to hand washing, lotions, and soaps. This builds up quickly! If you take it to a professional jeweler just once and ask them to clean it , it will be all sparkly again. The "stone" itself is not cloudy. I work for an independent jewelry store, and feel certain that your stones are fine. I know it is frustrating however.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree also. A good cleaning, either at home or your jeweler should have it back to new.

When I wear Aquamarine I clean it daily.  It's easy with a commercial cleaner and soft juvenile toothbrush. To 

Valued Contributor

OP - I love your username!  Congrats on what sounds like a very beautiful ring!!  I agree with the other posters.  As someone with a gemological degree from the GIA, I can assure you that morganite (beryl) is a very durable gem (coming in at an 8 on the Mohs scale of hardness - with a 10 being the hardest).  Most morganite on the market today is irradiated, but with normal care, the treatment is very stable.  Morganite is sensitive to heat exposure, but it shouldn't fade or become cloudy with regular exposure to light, like some other gems.  I assume you're not exposing the stone to any chemicals or acids (household cleaners or even chlorine from wearing the ring in the pool?).  So I'm going to say the stone probably just needs a good cleaning.  I like to use a soft toothbrush, a mild dishwashing liquid (like Dawn), and warm water to clean my gem pieces.  I never use solutions or ultrasonic cleaners.  You need only a gentle scrubbing with the soapy water and soft brush to bring the gem back to its old sparkly self.  Be sure to get underneath the gallery of the ring to thoroughly clean the back of the stone.  That's wear the oils from your skin and lotions, etc. are going to build up (and is probably why the stone looks cloudy). 

Last year, I had a custom morganite ring made with a 13.07ct. 16x12mm loose morganite I had purchased.  The ring is 18k rose gold and has approx. 1.50ct. of F/VS2 diamonds in a halo around the gem and on the split shank.  It is one of my very favorite pieces.  Not great pix, but you get the idea.  I love me some morganite!  Good luck and do keep us posted on how the cleaning goes.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

What a gorgeous ring! I have an extra sonic toothbrush I use on jewelry.
Valued Contributor

Thanks, depWoman Very Happy

OP - Let us know how it turned out... I'd love to see a pic of the ring all cleaned up too.  I miss seeing all the bling pix around here!