The Joy of Christmas
116 Members and 6807 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

A Question About Morganite

Started 1382376978.947 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1382745359.507 by nova

I read these forums often and learn so much from the ladies who post here. You all really know your jewlery facts. I have a question about Morganite. I bought a morganite ring from shop nbc a couple of months ago. It was a beautiful clear peachy pink stone set in rose gold and I was thrilled with it. I noticed though, that the stone has become cloudy and murky looking. I am very unhappy with it..but it is past the return date. I was wondering if anyone knows why this would happen..is this something that happens with this stone in particular? I have an aqua marine tennis bracelet in which the stones have clouded a little too, although not to the extent that the morganite did. I was thinking that this may be a problem with beryl stones, as it is my understanding that morganite an aqua marine are both in the beryl family of gemstones. I am going to call and complain to shopnbc, and hope that will give me a refund.

By the way..I am very careful with my jewelry and never expose it to chemicals , heat, cleaning products, etc. Basically when I come home..all jewelry comes off except my wedding ring.

Page 1 of 1
author1382377148.044279 PostsRegistered 7/3/2005

Morganite is sensitive to sunlight (I've heard), so when not wearing mine I keep it in a closed jewelry box. I'm careful with it and have had it about 10 years and no cloudiness. Mine is from Michael Valitutti, in gold w/diamonds, 4 carats of Morganite, gorgeous.

needsmorec­owbell1382377356.007169 PostsRegistered 7/18/2012

I've never had it in sunlight..only in and out of the car. I store it in a closed jewelry box. I am bummed..thanks for the response, and I am glad yours held up so well.

di-mc1382378464.737404 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

I love Morganite! I have a pair of stud earrings that I've worn infrequently. They haven't clouded, perhaps because they've been in the jewelry box more than on my ears. I've been considering having them made into a ring; I think I'd get more use out of them, but if that would cause clouding, maybe they'll stay as they are.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

esmeraldag­ooch1382378827.06712029 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

The only reason it could cloud is it's not clean or it was horribly scratched. Since the latter is not the case, take it to your jeweler or use a soft juvenile tooth brush and some dawn/Palmolive dish washing soap and GENTLY clean the top and massage under the setting to remove the body oils or what ever is causing the cloudiness.

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

ennui11382381264.7836531 PostsRegistered 6/22/2013
On 10/21/2013 needsmorecowbell said:

I have an aqua marine tennis bracelet in which the stones have clouded a little too, although not to the extent that the morganite did.

I think aquamarine is noted for its clarity, so I'd follow Ezzy's advice and take your pieces to a jeweler.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~Robert Brault

Shelbelle1382384415.52734441 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I have never heard that Morganite is sensitive to sunlight, that is usually referring to Kunzite.

Nadjalu1382398956.981947 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007
I would not use dish soap on a precious gemstone. Your jeweler should have a cleaning cloth you can buy, I only use those. Could the setting be dirty underneath the stone making it appear cloudy?

author1382400123.454279 PostsRegistered 7/3/2005

I heard it was both Morganite and Kunzite that are sensitive to sun, but as I said, not sure if this is true. Probably a cleaning is in order, maybe dirt under the stone where it's hard to clean. Even a film can occur over time, not necessarily dirt or debris. I have a large Kunzite too that is even sparklier, more clear, than a Morganite. So pretty.

Hope you can get it sparkly and beautiful again.

esmeraldag­ooch1382401139.92712029 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?
JTV website says warm soapy water and a soft brush.

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

VegasBusin­essWoman1382455775.783390 PostsRegistered 5/27/2013

Heaven knows I'm no expert, but some jewelry needs to be cleaned from time to time. The main stone in my wedding set is an aquamarine and it definitely needs cleaning occasionally to stay clear and brilliant. I have some morganite, but haven't had it for long. I just started collecting it. So far, it is looking lovely, but I wouldn't hesitate to clean it if it got cloudy-looking. Beryls are pretty tough stones, so I don't think a gentle cleaning with a soft toothbrush would hurt them. So far, that has worked for me!

CalmInTheH­eart1382537273.697106 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

I have both Kunzite and Morganite jewelry from ShopHQ and they've never clouded up.

Do you put lotion on your hands? Perhaps lotion got on the underside of the stone? I would use a very very soft toothbrush and water on the underside. No detergents unless you ask your jeweler first. I wipe mine with a jewelry cloth and it works wonders.

Peace

depglass1382565126.4223890 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Does your ring have an under gallery? Those drive me crazy as far as getting the underside of stones clean. Develop a relationship with your local jeweler (at least get your repairs and watch batteries there) and they will be happy to clean your rings for you.

Divine1382566425.763549 PostsRegistered 11/20/2008

Found this information on another website. BTW, it isn't true that Morganite needs to be kept out of the sun. I don't know where that idea came from...perhaps because extremely high temperatures can damage this stone, but not just the heat from sunshine. It would be a good idea to have your ring checked by a jeweler to see if it is indeed Morganite.

Taking Care of Your Morganite Gemstones

It is quite easy to take care of your morganite gemstone, its high durability makes it possible to use ultrasonic or jewelry steam cleaners. The usual lukewarm water and soap will do fine, but usually doesn’t do the job as well unless you spend a lot of time. Just make sure the jewelry itself is not damaged by the cleaning agent, if you use any.

Morganite should be stored away from other gemstones, several gemstones like diamonds and moissanite can scratch it. While morganite itself can scratch most other gemstones as well as all metals.

Caution!: Make sure your jeweler knows that morganite can change color when subjected to high temperatures. In everyday use it won’t be a problem, but when repairing it a jewelers torch could easily damage your gemstone.

Last edited on 10/23/2013

ennui11382579991.5036531 PostsRegistered 6/22/2013
On 10/21/2013 Shelbelle said:

I have never heard that Morganite is sensitive to sunlight, that is usually referring to Kunzite.

And the quartzes. Smoky quartz and amethyst will fade in sunlight, for example.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~Robert Brault

D Oro1382598791.9834069 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA
On 10/21/2013 esmeraldagooch said:

The only reason it could cloud is it's not clean or it was horribly scratched. Since the latter is not the case, take it to your jeweler or use a soft juvenile tooth brush and some dawn/Palmolive dish washing soap and GENTLY clean the top and massage under the setting to remove the body oils or what ever is causing the cloudiness.


Ezzy is correct. The original Dawn is great to use because it removes the oils that cloud your jewelry. I like to use the tiny glass straw cleaners to get the stones clean gently.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

daisy41382599172.3431493 PostsRegistered 6/8/2006

From what I have read Morganite is a "treated" stone. In other words they enhance it to make it appear more desirable. After some time the enhancement does wear off. (That's why I have never bought it.) I would take it to a experienced jeweler and ask his opinion.

I have bought jewelry from ShopNBC (Specifically Chuck) to later find that the stones were synthetic instead of natural. I do not buy from them anymore.

D Oro1382607176.174069 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA
On 10/24/2013 daisy4 said:

From what I have read Morganite is a "treated" stone. In other words they enhance it to make it appear more desirable. After some time the enhancement does wear off. (That's why I have never bought it.) I would take it to a experienced jeweler and ask his opinion.

I have bought jewelry from ShopNBC (Specifically Chuck) to later find that the stones were synthetic instead of natural. I do not buy from them anymore.


The treatment is to irradiate or heat the stone to bring out a more desirous color. It won't fade or revert. This is a perfectly acceptable enhancement that is permanent. If it is true Morganite, the cloudiness should disappear with a good cleaning. I've owned Morganite for many, many years.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

nova1382616809.223199 PostsRegistered 10/21/2008
On 10/24/2013 daisy4 said:

From what I have read Morganite is a "treated" stone. In other words they enhance it to make it appear more desirable. After some time the enhancement does wear off. (That's why I have never bought it.) I would take it to a experienced jeweler and ask his opinion.

I have bought jewelry from ShopNBC (Specifically Chuck) to later find that the stones were synthetic instead of natural. I do not buy from them anymore.

Did a jeweler tell you the stones were synthetic? He seems to make it a point that his gemstones are all natural during every presentation! The stones are all treated to bring out different colors (like all the different color topaz) but I was under the impression they all start from a natural stone - not something created in a lab. I read that the industry accepts heat treatments now as part of its standards.

needsmorec­owbell1382631483.69169 PostsRegistered 7/18/2012

Thank-you very much to all who took the time to reply. I appreciate all of your answers. I did clean and polish the ring as thoroughly as I could. There is quite an extensive under gallery, so i did not have full access to the the underside of the stone.

The stone was indeed shinier, but still couldy looking. I have only had the ring 5-6 weeks and have only worn it 3 or 4 times total. From all of your responses, it seems clear that the stone did not"cloud up" on me, so I can only conclude that this stone is of inferior quality. Just as diamonds have different levels of clarity, perhaps morganite does too. I had never owned a morganite before, so when I first looked at it when it arrived, I guess I thought it was the way it was supposed to be. I saw someone elses morganite since receiving this..and there was just no comparision. My friends stone was crystal clear..and mine is murky, for lack of a better word. Anyway I called shop nbc..(or shopq now) and told them how unhappy I am with the ring, and they extended the return time for me..so it is going back! It is a Chuck Clemmency piece by the way.

D Oro1382675070.8334069 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA
On 10/24/2013 needsmorecowbell said:

Thank-you very much to all who took the time to reply. I appreciate all of your answers. I did clean and polish the ring as thoroughly as I could. There is quite an extensive under gallery, so i did not have full access to the the underside of the stone.

The stone was indeed shinier, but still couldy looking. I have only had the ring 5-6 weeks and have only worn it 3 or 4 times total. From all of your responses, it seems clear that the stone did not"cloud up" on me, so I can only conclude that this stone is of inferior quality. Just as diamonds have different levels of clarity, perhaps morganite does too. I had never owned a morganite before, so when I first looked at it when it arrived, I guess I thought it was the way it was supposed to be. I saw someone elses morganite since receiving this..and there was just no comparision. My friends stone was crystal clear..and mine is murky, for lack of a better word. Anyway I called shop nbc..(or shopq now) and told them how unhappy I am with the ring, and they extended the return time for me..so it is going back! It is a Chuck Clemmency piece by the way.


I am glad that you were able to return it. The Morganite should always be clear.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

ennui11382677476.8636531 PostsRegistered 6/22/2013
On 10/24/2013 D Oro said: I like to use the tiny glass straw cleaners to get the stones clean gently.

Whatever happened to pipe cleaners? {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~Robert Brault

D Oro1382685278.1574069 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA

Ennui, thanks for the memory. I forgot about pipe cleaners. As a child I only thought pipe cleaners were for crafts. lol. My straw cleaner came with my glass straws.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

daisy41382685680.811493 PostsRegistered 6/8/2006
On 10/24/2013 nova said:
On 10/24/2013 daisy4 said:

From what I have read Morganite is a "treated" stone. In other words they enhance it to make it appear more desirable. After some time the enhancement does wear off. (That's why I have never bought it.) I would take it to a experienced jeweler and ask his opinion.

I have bought jewelry from ShopNBC (Specifically Chuck) to later find that the stones were synthetic instead of natural. I do not buy from them anymore.

Did a jeweler tell you the stones were synthetic? He seems to make it a point that his gemstones are all natural during every presentation! The stones are all treated to bring out different colors (like all the different color topaz) but I was under the impression they all start from a natural stone - not something created in a lab. I read that the industry accepts heat treatments now as part of its standards.

Yes, a jeweler did tell me they were synthetic or else I would not have known.

VegasBusin­essWoman1382715149.903390 PostsRegistered 5/27/2013
On 10/25/2013 daisy4 said:
On 10/24/2013 nova said:
On 10/24/2013 daisy4 said:

From what I have read Morganite is a "treated" stone. In other words they enhance it to make it appear more desirable. After some time the enhancement does wear off. (That's why I have never bought it.) I would take it to a experienced jeweler and ask his opinion.

I have bought jewelry from ShopNBC (Specifically Chuck) to later find that the stones were synthetic instead of natural. I do not buy from them anymore.

Did a jeweler tell you the stones were synthetic? He seems to make it a point that his gemstones are all natural during every presentation! The stones are all treated to bring out different colors (like all the different color topaz) but I was under the impression they all start from a natural stone - not something created in a lab. I read that the industry accepts heat treatments now as part of its standards.

Yes, a jeweler did tell me they were synthetic or else I would not have known.


Wow! I'd be a raving maniac if I founf out that a stone that was sold to me as natural turned out to be man-made. I wouldn't knowingly buy a synthetic stone. You must be livid!!

nova1382745359.507199 PostsRegistered 10/21/2008
On 10/25/2013 VegasBusinessWoman said:
On 10/25/2013 daisy4 said:
On 10/24/2013 nova said:
On 10/24/2013 daisy4 said:

From what I have read Morganite is a "treated" stone. In other words they enhance it to make it appear more desirable. After some time the enhancement does wear off. (That's why I have never bought it.) I would take it to a experienced jeweler and ask his opinion.

I have bought jewelry from ShopNBC (Specifically Chuck) to later find that the stones were synthetic instead of natural. I do not buy from them anymore.

Did a jeweler tell you the stones were synthetic? He seems to make it a point that his gemstones are all natural during every presentation! The stones are all treated to bring out different colors (like all the different color topaz) but I was under the impression they all start from a natural stone - not something created in a lab. I read that the industry accepts heat treatments now as part of its standards.

Yes, a jeweler did tell me they were synthetic or else I would not have known.


Wow! I'd be a raving maniac if I founf out that a stone that was sold to me as natural turned out to be man-made. I wouldn't knowingly buy a synthetic stone. You must be livid!!

Oh that's awful! I guess the whole tv audience has been deceived!

Page 1 of 1