Weekend Preview
131 Members and 11740 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

White Zircon compared to Moissanite or Diamond

Started 1374269338.253 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1374501694.147 by millieshops

Hello ladies a question for you experts out there....how does the zircon compare to a diamond or moissanite? I was looking at a 7mm round to go in a ring and have noticed a huge difference in price between zircon and moissanite. Looking at some JTV zircons on air and for some reason they don't look like a diamond does to my eye....maybe more like cut glass. It could just be the TV....your opinions are appreciated!!

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil -- it has no point."

Page 1 of 1
wagirl1374271714.3774642 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

Diamonds are diamonds and nothing will ever replace them. I don't have a clue what moissanite is altho I know it is pretty pricey and white zircon is a diamond substitute altho I think white topaz may look better.

CalmInTheH­eart1374272293.877279 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

Zircon is a nice enough stone but it does not have anywhere the sparkle or brilliance of moissanite or diamonds. I think it's best as an accent stone or used as a halo around other gemstones. I have one that is a simple channel set eternity ring and it's nice too.

Fyi, I'd take moissanite over a diamond any day. I have a lot of moissanite and it's incredible jewelry. Some people say they see a yellowish or greenish tint to it but none of my moissanite is anything but a gorgeous bright color.

Last edited on 7/19/2013

Last edited on 7/19/2013

Peace

jeweliciou­s11374272374.93593 PostsRegistered 9/12/2012
On 7/19/2013 wagirl said:

Diamonds are diamonds and nothing will ever replace them. I don't have a clue what moissanite is altho I know it is pretty pricey and white zircon is a diamond substitute altho I think white topaz may look better.

Actually, white zircon sparkles more than white topaz.

Shaunac1374272705.1873034 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010
On 7/19/2013 jewelicious1 said:
On 7/19/2013 wagirl said:

Actually, white zircon sparkles more than white topaz.

I hope you are right. I just ordered last night's OTO--white zircon line bracelet. Waitlist, hoping someone cancels their order.

Shauna

pistolino1374272797.9132054 PostsRegistered 7/4/2011
On 7/19/2013 CalmInTheHeart said:

Zircon is a nice enough stone but it does not have anywhere the sparkle or brilliance of moissanite or diamonds. I think it's best as an accent stone or used as a halo around other gemstones. I have one that is a simple channel set eternity ring and it's nice too.

Fyi, I'd take moissanite over a diamond any day. I have a lot of moissanite and it's incredible jewelry. Some people say they see a yellowish or greenish tint to it but none of my moissanite is anything but a gorgeous bright color.

Last edited on 7/19/2013

I like zircon. If I had to rank in order, I'd take moissanite, zircon and last diamonds.

The only time I like a diamond is if it is near flawness in color and clarity, and I can't afford those.

Someone I love had Alzheimer's :(

AliJoi51374272833.7872728 PostsRegistered 8/19/2009The Ocean State

Zircon is my favorite diamond "substitute." Though, as wagirl mentioned, there really is no substitute! I like zircon because it's natural and has fantastic fire. White topaz has a much lower refractive index (1.61-1.62) than zircon (1.92-2.01) and diamond (2.42), so it's just not going to even come close as far as fire is concerned. I am not a fan of moissanite because it is synthetic and that's just not my personal thing. It is also very expensive. However, it has the highest refractive index of them all (2.65-2.69). So you can see why people love it.

So there you have my two cents! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"When I'm playful, I use the meridians of longitude and parallels of latitude for a seine, and drag the Atlantic Ocean for whales. I scratch my head with the lightning and purr myself to sleep with the thunder." ~Mark Twain

tsavorite1374274691.9674752 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005

Thank you so much! I still can't decide LOL.....I know white topaz is just kinda blah looking....ok in tiny stones but not as a main large center stone like a 7mm I need. This mounting is my yellow gold original wedding ring...I took the real diamond out and put it in a new mounting for our 20th anniversary yrs ago. So it's been empty all this time....decisions...I think the zircon might not cut it visiually for me. Hate to pay the moissanite price but may at least get one home to see it.

AliJoi51374277044.5672728 PostsRegistered 8/19/2009The Ocean State

Hi tsavorite (love your nick)! Definitely... You're smart to shop around and see these gems in person before deciding. Do give white zircon a try though before ruling it out... it's inexpensive, hard/durable, natural, available in large sizes, and super sparkly! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Don't go by what you see in photos online. I promise you the sparkle in person is fantastic. I own both white zircon and white topaz, and there's no comparison IMO. Have a great weekend!

"When I'm playful, I use the meridians of longitude and parallels of latitude for a seine, and drag the Atlantic Ocean for whales. I scratch my head with the lightning and purr myself to sleep with the thunder." ~Mark Twain

tsavorite1374279352.354752 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005

Hi AliJoi5! I am very tempted to order one from JTV to see how it would look....it is only 39.99 compared to moissanite which is about $300! I also own white topaz....4ct emerald cut earrings set in gold...they are very nice but have no sparkle like a diamond. So that gem is out for sure.

If I don't like the look of the zircon I can always mail it back...thanks for the help!

esmeraldag­ooch1374280341.2812179 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?
Zircon scratches easily and is a brittle gemstone. Moissanite and diamonds are much more durable if you plan to wear it often.

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

missyw11374281367.2432399 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
I just don't get moissanite.

Margo Chan­ning1374281522.1913383 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007
On 7/19/2013 tsavorite said:

Hi AliJoi5! I am very tempted to order one from JTV to see how it would look....it is only 39.99 compared to moissanite which is about $300! I also own white topaz....4ct emerald cut earrings set in gold...they are very nice but have no sparkle like a diamond. So that gem is out for sure.

If I don't like the look of the zircon I can always mail it back...thanks for the help!

I think JTV gets the lesser quality Moissonites--sometimes they look discolored on the screen. My bff ordered one from them and held it next to a couple of mine and there was defiite a yellow cast to her stone. She sent it right back.

It's not the typing, it's arthritis.
NO-ONE puts Leisle in the corner
BRING OUR GIRLS HOME

depglass1374282219.3524103 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I think you just have to try it and compare it to whatever you own now.

Desi1374283641.62314135 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma

Zircon is very sparkly. It does have fire. However, it is more transparent (you can't really see completely through a diamond) and is doubly refractive which diamond is not. I don't think it will pass for a diamond, but a blue zircon might be a nice choice. Won't fool anyone but will be gorgeous anyhow. It is softer and will scratch as someone said, so really not an everyday stone, unlike diamond and moissanite. White sapphire is stronger but won't have that much color-play.

Desi

wagirl1374326209.0934642 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

I have diamonds, white zircon , white sapphire and topaz and by far the topaz is the winner!! My diamonds are small so that really doesn't even compete--I'm not a diamond girl really, but I must have gotten a great whilte topaz as it is the best and very reasonalbly priced; but then so was everything 10 years ago---remember?{#emotions_dlg.scared} Hope you are happy with your purchase--nothing like something sparkly to look forward too!!!

tsavorite1374445460.3274752 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005

Hi wagirl....I need to fill in a 7mm diamond spot...1.20cts....using topaz wouldn't look good...the rest of the mounting has real diamonds....another 3/4ct...about 8point diamonds each. Trust me it wouldn't look good...I have white topaz...and the sparkle from these size and color diamonds is rather intense...topaz even cut with the fancy cuts just doesn't give off much when the 2 are compared together.

Desi1374447064.63314135 PostsRegistered 6/9/2007Ma

Maybe go in an entirely different direction. A cheap CZ will probably look more like a diamond than the natural stones mentioned. How about a sapphire or blue topaz, peridot, something that isn't a diamond substitute?

Desi

millieshops1374501694.14715081 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

I hadn't realized there were levels of Moissanite just as there are levels of diamonds. I suspect all the Moissanite I've ever seen personally must have been of lesser quality because I was never tempted to buy any.

My preference will always be diamonds, but I do have topaz that sparkles.

In my current quest to aoid new jewelry purchases and wear what I already own, I'm finding I want to wear my man-made stones far less than the real even though I once wore the others with great pleasure. Maybe part of the parring down I need to do as I try to downsize my life will be to sell those items - probably for their settings rather than as jewelry.

Page 1 of 1