The Joy of Christmas
109 Members and 8844 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Pawn Shops...anyone buy from them?

Started 1371058794.23 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1371321593.72 by songbird

the last few months I began watching the show Pawn Stars and got hooked on it LOL...find it interesting and harmless entertainment.

I have never been in a pawn shop....do they have good deals on jewelry? what about selling to them...bad idea or what?

Any thoughts or experiences...please share!

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil -- it has no point."

Page 1 of 1
luvmypupz1371059183.0634991 PostsRegistered 8/30/2010By the Sea Shore

DH has a friend that owns a pawn shop. You can sometimes pick up some good deals there and sometimes not. The ones around here are generally open to negotiation. DH has gotten me some nice sterling pieces from his friend at a good price but of course he is friends with him so he probably gave him better prices. Pawn shops buy at as lower price as possible and really like those that have to sell because they are needing the cash. I don't think selling at a pawn shop is good unless it is just something you really don't want anymore and need the cash.

"I confronted the fact that I was not only talking to a dog, but answering for one." - Claire Cook, Must Love Dogs

Sharke1371059988.7137970 PostsRegistered 8/19/2010

why sure...... I'm not paying for the glitz of a high end retail store that has the chandeliars , carpeting and a guard at the door. after I buy cheap at the pawn shop I take the piece to a jeweler for a free opinion to make sure it's real. If it's real gold it will be stamped 14kt or whatever, if it's real silver will say .925. if your not sure if it's diamonds or not you can take in to a jeweler to verify.

I paid 700 for a heavy gold bracelet with a ct and a half of diamonds. That same bracelet (I checked before going to pawn shop) was 3,000.00 and over.

this one was 14 kt and the old time gold wgt. not this new light wgt stuff.

who cares if it's been worn by somebody else before LOL their loss is my gain.

smoochy1371068330.0132516 PostsRegistered 10/8/2006pure Michigan!

around here they sc##w you on jewelry that you try to sell them. I asked for their best price on a 14k gold/diamond Affinity ring, went to two places. I was offered $50 and $86. There was not a chance of negotiation. They stick firmly to their low ball offers. This has been the case each and every time I've attempted to sell jewelry to pawns or second hand places. On the flip side I have bought jewelry from pawn shops on occasion. You are taking a risk because the items are pre owned. A 14k gold ring I bought had a broken place within the design that was not visible upon my casual inspection when I was thinking of buying it. Only when i took it to a jeweler for sizing, did that come to light, with a loupe. I couldn't have it sized because that would've further damaged the ring. So if I ever shop at pawns again I will certainly take my magnifiyer with me.

depglass1371069653.9823895 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I have bought at pawn shops, the one in our town has reasonable prices. Which means they didn't pay the seller much at all. Years ago I used to buy in Florida pawn shops, but they tightened the laws for selling to pawn shops and the supply of gold jewelry dried up. Meaning thieves quit bringing in stuff, let's hope they actually stopped stealing it. I also buy at estate auctions. A 10X loupe and basic terminology knowledge is a must.

beach-mom1371070160.8339561 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

I've never been in one. I always thought they were places where people took their jewelry to get cash immediately, but would be able to "buy" their pieces back. If they couldn't buy it back or didn't make payments, then the item would be sold. I guess I've always had the wrong idea!

Sharke1371072388.5137970 PostsRegistered 8/19/2010

divorced women, kids of deceased parents who want to hock mom and dad's gold, women who take jewelry instead of money for romance and pawn them, etc.

I'd kill to go to a pawn shop in Vegas ! Can you say deals ? all the gamblers who throw away their money and pawn their stuff to get more money and never come back and get their stuff. Vegas showgirls, etc. I read where they have drive thru's where you pawn your stuff for fast cash, etc. This one gal had a 10,000 diamond ring, she broke off the engagement , sold the ring got whatever they paid her and then the next person who would come in could get that ring for like 5-6. That's SWEET !

I got a ct. cluster diamond ring set in white gold for 300, yrs. ago . Can't get a good pair of gold earring hoops for hardly that now. Take cash when you go they charge 3% up charge if you use credit card. No big deal, but, when I spent the 700, as mentioned in the previous post. I paid the 21.00 extra, but, who walks around with serious cash on you. LOL

Sharke13710724417970 PostsRegistered 8/19/2010

Wouldn't go to "hardcore pawn' (tv show) in Detroit though. No thanks ! LOL

gilmoregirl1371072966.31026 PostsRegistered 11/14/2011
If you are looking to sell your jewelry try your local jeweler first. There was a family at my brothers church that lost everything in a fire, I donated what material things I had (dishes, kids cloths, toys etc) and took my old, broken gold to the pawnshop... They offered $80... Walked three doors down to the jeweler and got $460! I used that to buy the family groceries and toiletries and still had cash to give them. And all it cost me was a few broken pieces I would never have worn again and a bunch of earrings that I had lost the mates too... :-)

kachina6241371073375.64315743 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
On 6/12/2013 Sharke said:

Wouldn't go to "hardcore pawn' (tv show) in Detroit though. No thanks ! LOL

You mean the show with the subtitle, "Detroit behaving badly"?

Page Turner1371073764.863927 PostsRegistered 5/21/2007"More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"

I've been in them, looking around, but never bought anything. My uncle is a big buyer from pawn shops. Lovely jewelry at good prices. I've eaves dropped on people selling things, and the prices the pawn shops pay for things are disgraceful. I guess they're selling to people who need money right now, that minute, versus people who can wait a few days and sell on their own for three times the price in a private sale? I'd never sell to a pawn shop, they pay only about 10% of what it's worth. You can google search to verify this.

conlt1371075874.3931818 PostsRegistered 5/22/2007
No I do not shop there. I had someone living with me who ended up on drugs and many of my things ended up in pawn shops. It is obvious to me that they prey upon people with problems and any of the items are stolen from friends and family. I will not give them a dime.

Sharke1371076025.567970 PostsRegistered 8/19/2010

yeah, the Tru TV show with Les, Seth and their sister. Les, scares me he looks evil. The 2 spoiled brat siblings need to get out and work on their own to see how life really is and quit that stupid fighting constantly. My husband said he would knock their heads together till they saw stars. LOL

I agree they don't do the seller right. People who need it the most get the less. I would deal with Rick on the other pawn shop show he seems decent enough. That Detroit show is like a cellblock in there. People come in and think they're entitled to whatever they want and will cuss U out and get in your face, threaten you and worse if they don't get what they think their junk is worth. They're all down and out in the first place, but, they act like they're the President or something and your there just to give them what they want. LOL

Another new pawn shop is coming on too, it's in Chicago. We got pawn shops a-plenty.LOL

tsavorite1371081635.0574743 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005

You ladies are cracking me up......Hard Core Pawn show! Like watching a zoo of out of control adults!! That show is really bad. It sure doesn't build up the image of Detroit...that's for sure.

I noticed that they seem to be really low balling people on items they bring in and I too think most of these folks have ripped off the jewelry or whatever from a relative. I have often wondered how you can be sure your not buying a stolen jewelry piece.

I have some sterling silver pieces mostly I was thinking of trying to sell either for scrap or as is to see what I could get for them. I don't think much...the mark up on jewelry is huge. I am not savvy on computer....or I'd try ebay....but it seems flooded with these low end sterling and gemstone rings. Heck I think you could buy new from JTV for a better price then lot's are listed for LOL!

I have a few designer ones I'd like to just get a decent amount for instead....I realize most times you can't get anywhere near what you paid for a item.

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil -- it has no point."

Debbie14261371086985.6535342 PostsRegistered 9/12/2012
On 6/12/2013 conlt said: No I do not shop there. I had someone living with me who ended up on drugs and many of my things ended up in pawn shops. It is obvious to me that they prey upon people with problems and any of the items are stolen from friends and family. I will not give them a dime.

ITA! Plus I am all about karma and wouldn't want to wear something that belonged to someone down and out on their luck and had no choice but to pawn their belongings.

depglass1371224000.9923895 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Tsavorite, you are right, as a Michigander that show completely offends me. It puts the people and the city of Detroit in a bad light. Sure there are goofs out there, but most of that show is hammed up. DH found a motorcycle listing on Ebay from them. I checked and they had 17 negatives in the past year. I think their name is detroitpawn. What a surprise, why should they treat their Ebay customers any better than their in person customers?

lovesrecess1371253713.03313642 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas
On 6/12/2013 conlt said: No I do not shop there. I had someone living with me who ended up on drugs and many of my things ended up in pawn shops. It is obvious to me that they prey upon people with problems and any of the items are stolen from friends and family. I will not give them a dime.

years ago we had someone break into our house and they stole almost everything of value...police suggested I go to big monthly flea market and to area pawn shops.....sure enough, I found my sterling silver serving tray with the monogram propped up on a table at the flea market....for sale.I bought it, no questions asked, then promptly called the police. Also found some jewelry in a pawn shop....so the rumor that they don't buy stolen merchandise is bogus.

conlt1371301397.591818 PostsRegistered 5/22/2007
On 6/14/2013 upsidedown said:

years ago we had someone break into our house and they stole almost everything of value...police suggested I go to big monthly flea market and to area pawn shops.....sure enough, I found my sterling silver serving tray with the monogram propped up on a table at the flea market....for sale.I bought it, no questions asked, then promptly called the police. Also found some jewelry in a pawn shop....so the rumor that they don't buy stolen merchandise is bogus.

In my state if person is living in your house everything is fair game. I lost jewelry, my portable air conditioner, $800 air cleaner. Coach bags and other handbags. I could not afford to get it back if I could find it all. Many things. The site of a pawnshop makes me sick because I know much of the money is going towards drugs and many things are stolen . There are a few families that pawn their own things because they are down on their luck but in my opinion the pawn shops cater to criminals.

Yorkieonmy­Pillow1371302368.24719 PostsRegistered 1/13/2013SouthEastern USA

I don't like to go into a pawnshop. I find them a bit creepy and sad because the merchandise there is there because a person was in dire straits. I don't like them.

"Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted"

VegasBusin­essWoman1371306473.197390 PostsRegistered 5/27/2013

I'm glad tsavorite asked this question because I've wondered about that, too. Never been in one--and lemme tell ya, Vegas is full of them. From what everyone is saying, it doesn't sound like a place I'd want to go. Sounds like the atmosphere is creepy and the bargains aren't that great.

3-M1371310522.62170 PostsRegistered 4/23/2007Washington State

I think pawn shops are a great place to buy jewerly...weird coincidence. I was in our local coin and stamp place to sell two things yesterday (and old ring setting and a gold coin I used to wear on a chain but I don't wear yellow gold anymore). I guess it's a pawn shop too because they had jewerly in there...gorgeous jewerly. Yeah, it's true they only pay pennies on the dollar for stuff that people pawn but that's a different story. Years ago I got a beautiful, 3-stone ring (very small stones) at a pawn shop...it had old cut diamonds and they said it was 14K...well, when I got it home I noticed it was marked "18K" and "plat" (platinum for the setting around the stones). Their loss, my gain. It was a steal, really...my daughter has it now.

lovesrecess1371310944.4313642 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

Houston had a lot of pawn shops open back when the oil industry busted....they put them in out of the way places with drive-through windows so people who wanted to sell their things would feel safe....I saw a big article about it in our paper...and how sad to see t he Rolex watches and other very expensive things that people had to sell; filthy rich and the suddenly in dire straits....I find most Pawn Shops scary also and where I live now I would never go in one because of the neighborhoods they are in.

Dakotah1371312919.213597 PostsRegistered 9/18/2007

I once purchased an antique bisque head, ball-jointed body doll

for $75. It was worth many times over that amount. That's about

all the experience I've had with pawn shops. It was just a small,

local shop. That Detroit pawn shop crowd scares the life out of me!!!

missyw11371313133.2132240 PostsRegistered 3/4/2007
Love Chumlee on Pawn Stars! We buy from pawn shops and they have bought our items. On the show, the cast is only there for filming. The items are not random items people bring in. Last edited on 6/15/2013

Last edited on 6/15/2013

songbird1371321593.721960 PostsRegistered 12/31/2004

I much prefer the estate jewelry in jewerly stores. These used metals. But you can get some nice things. I crave 18K. So I was able to get some gorgeous pieces. Most of my gold is new, but I have 3 estate pieces that are goreous. I have one bacelet from a pawn shop. It's lovely. It's a tennis bracelet, set in white 18K

Page 1 of 1