TSV(R) Preview
74 Members and 14684 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

How to tell faux tanzanite from real....questions/help please!

Started 1370724165.47 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1371059118.457 by tsavorite

Hello ladies....I have some questions.....who would I go see to truly verify if a gem is real or a good cz?

I know you can look inside of rings to check the stamps but in this case I was told by the original owner it is a real tanzanite....yet stamping inside of ring is sterling cz....it has clear cz's in the band/mounting and the larger main stone/gem is the tanzanite. I know you could have a jeweler put a real gem in a sterling cz mounting so it's not impossible...how can I tell?

I did not buy this online...it was inherited. Had the person not told me this about the ring I would have assumed it was faux based on stamps inside of ring.

"Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil -- it has no point."

Page 1 of 1
Desertdi1370726184.7815938 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

A bench jeweler may be able to help you

esmeraldag­ooch1370726742.81712161 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

I wouldn't trust this. Who would put a quality gemstone in a setting like this set with CZ?

A jeweler with testing equipment could tell you, but why bother?

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

viwanton1370726776.41814 PostsRegistered 11/26/2011
On 6/8/2013 Desertdi said:

A bench jeweler may be able to help you

A jeweler who is also a gemologist.

jewel31370726918.9871784 PostsRegistered 6/11/2006West Coast
Yes, talk to a certified gemologist. Good quality saturated color tanzanite was usually set in gold with diamonds as it has always been a valuable stone. I don't know how old your ring is but if it is an old saturated color stone, it would likely not be set with cz's.

We'll never have significance in this life if it's all about us.

tsavorite1370730354.1974752 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005

Thanks everyone....I might look up a gemologist just to be sure it's a cz.

lizzief1370731163.7332619 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011
A gemologist can tell you, especially if you want to pay to get the ring appraised for insurance - if it's real you probably will want to. There may be several other simple clues. You may be able to tell by the color. Good quality tanzanite was a dark purple blue with flashes of red. Poor quality is is a light orchid. If they could afford good quality, I don't know why they would use cz's with it. Finally look up on the Internet what the "sterling cz" inscription means - it may also be a clue.

depglass1370732589.1324083 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Sterling CZ means Silver Cubic Zirconia.

bikerbabe1370732822.298725 PostsRegistered 4/10/2007

A local jeweler who is a certified gemologist could tell in 30 sec or less. Personally given the setting I think it's very doubtful.

I take pleasure in my 'transformations'. I look quiet and consistent, but few know how many women there are in me.
- Anais Nin

lizzief1370736965.672619 PostsRegistered 9/27/2011
I just saved you some time and looked it up. The setting is sterling, the stone is cz. Perhaps whoever gave it to her said it was real, but probably not, sorry!

D Oro1370738517.844072 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA
On 6/8/2013 esmeraldagooch said:

I wouldn't trust this. Who would put a quality gemstone in a setting like this set with CZ?

A jeweler with testing equipment could tell you, but why bother?

Ezzy is correct. It isn't genuine Tanzanite. Can you post a picture?

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

luvpoos1370772001.9476006 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

It wouldn't hurt to have it checked out. Q sets real stones in ss all the time with diamonique. You will always wonder if you don't.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

violann1370775099.2312705 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
There was a period of time in the '20s-30s when sterling silver settings were more popular than today, and some of the larger NYC and Newark NJ jewelry companies definitely used them. If you have any question, ask a good jeweler for an informal opinion. Several years ago, a Catholic Nun spoke at Mass I attended. OT-CONTENT WARNING- Before I heard her, I loved tanzanites. After hearing her I would never knowingly wear one again.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

luvpoos1370782133.266006 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma
On 6/9/2013 violann said: There was a period of time in the '20s-30s when sterling silver settings were more popular than today, and some of the larger NYC and Newark NJ jewelry companies definitely used them. If you have any question, ask a good jeweler for an informal opinion. Several years ago, a Catholic Nun spoke at Mass I attended. OT-CONTENT WARNING- Before I heard her, I loved tanzanites. After hearing her I would never knowingly wear one again.

I don't understand, what did she say that you wouldn't want to wear one again. I have a tanzanite gold bracelet that my husband gave me. I love it.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

violann1370811759.50312705 PostsRegistered 12/12/2004
The mining practices turned me off. Like Blood Diamonds, or maybe worse.

I didn't come here to argue.- Peg Bracken

itslikeher­dingcats1370822917.3174039 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010

Violann, I heard that too. About 10 years ago I was in Bailey, Banks and Biddle and I asked to see their tanzanite. The salesman told me they didn't carry it due to that reason you mentioned. I laughed and he did too because diamonds, hello!! He said their reasoning kind of fell short seeing as how diamonds, which they sold by the crateful, were the same thing.

D Oro1370878293.7334072 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA
On 6/9/2013 itslikeherdingcats said:

Violann, I heard that too. About 10 years ago I was in Bailey, Banks and Biddle and I asked to see their tanzanite. The salesman told me they didn't carry it due to that reason you mentioned. I laughed and he did too because diamonds, hello!! He said their reasoning kind of fell short seeing as how diamonds, which they sold by the crateful, were the same thing.

That is about the time that a huge controversy started about Tanzanite and one of the site holders that distributed the majority of Tanzanite to US companies. Several large jewelers removed all Tanzanite from their shelves. Some sold off their stock. Some held it in abeyance until it was sorted out. After the lawsuits were settled, reputations damaged, and the smoke cleared, it was determined that it was a scheme to discredit the gemstone in order to bring sapphires to the forefront again. In the jewelry world, it finally unfolded like a telenovela. The actual culprits surprised many. Funny, I had forgotten all about that.

Edited for spelling

Last edited on 6/11/2013

Last edited on 6/11/2013

-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

Haca1370887712.951405 PostsRegistered 3/15/2013Virginia

That is such an interesting thread. I saw the movie "Blood Diamond" which made me research the whole matter of gemstone mining in Africa. I, too, started questioning the ethics involved. I think, we don't know the half of it. Haca

annika1370892257.793963 PostsRegistered 3/30/2011

I think the ring as set is most likely a tanzanite simulant, but when the gemstone was cheap and much more abundant, there were shopping channels that sold it in cheap settings. Ten years ago pre-dates Tanzanite One, the current company that has tried to create an internationally accepted standard for the gemstone and improved mining and purchasing practices. They are widely recognized as giving fair prices to miners. In Arusha, Tanzania, the average miner goes to wholesale buyers who buy rough. The trade is not like diamonds. Many miners are Masai, and dig the stones in tunnels. There in blocks that have largely played out. Very little is coming out of gem quality now and that has really hurt the locals. But I would be surprised if tanzanite ever traded like blood diamonds on any scale. Tanzanians are not likely seeking guns/arms for warlords. The miner simply goes to town and sells their rough. They know the value and quality of what they have to sell, bargain well and are given cash. The colored stone trade is like that all over the world. I have never heard of wholesellers being involved in conflicts either. They're usually Indians who sell the rough to the big cutting centers in India. As to the nun and her story, there are a lot of attempts to discredit trading of the usual kind in Africa by "fair trade" groups who have an interest in acting as another mddle man the name o social justice. I am nt oboard with that.

gailchap1370906991.9336 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004North Florida

RocksTV sells tanzanites set in silver with white topaz or zircon. And the prices are reasonable. I would get it appraised by a gemologist.

64 and owned by dogs and cats.

D Oro1370944120.324072 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA

Remember when AAA Block D Tanzanite was sold? Those are the collector pieces not readily available any longer. That rich deep color is what caused me to fall in love with the stone.

-- Coco Chanel

chickenbutt1370966859.46724212 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 6/8/2013 esmeraldagooch said:

This was my first thought. If you are able to see the ring in person it seems like you'd probably be able to tell but if it's just a picture, such as an online auction, it wouldn't be as easy.

If it were me, I'd pass.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

lh89901370968863.84168 PostsRegistered 2/14/2006

Tanzanite was only discovered about 45 years ago. If you are under the impression that this ring is older than that, it would probably mean that the stone is fake.

lh89901370968944.567168 PostsRegistered 2/14/2006

Also, if you can get your hands on a jewelers loupe, you can examine the stone. If it is too perfect (no inclusions whatsoever) or you see air bubbles, it is probably not genuine. But a jeweler could probably tell you in less than a minute.

tsavorite1371059118.4574752 PostsRegistered 10/10/2005

Thanks for all the replies and thoughts on this. I have concluded that the ring in question is a CZ just like it is marked....it is not a very old sterling ring....maybe a yr at most. I believe I misunderstood what was being told to me that day. 2 rings were being discussed at the time...one has a real tanzanite in it and the other is fake. I found the other one online sold at HSN....it's a Victoria Wieck sterling silver with white topaz and a small oval tanzanite in it. This was the one that the person meant was the only "real" tanzanite they owned. The other one I talked about in my original topic post is the fake cz one.

Since we were talking about these 2 rings I must have got what they were saying mixed up!

Thanks for listening to me and my story....{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Page 1 of 1