Better Than Black Friday
67 Members and 16499 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

14kt Over Solid Core of Resin? J279376

Started 1359032007.233 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1359183619.19 by NancyB

I listened to & watched the vid and nothing was mentioned about this, leading one to believe that they were all gold.

But, reading the description, it says: "These earrings were made over an inner core of resin by a process called electroforming, which creates lightweight earrings that are strong and dent-resistant.

Resin?

Electroforming?

Stamped bronze? Not 14kt.

What's up with that?

Are they really just bronze earrings with plated gold (that will eventually come off) ?

Maybe Lisa said something that's not included on the vid by item #J279376. But if I was watching t.v. and nothing was said...that's a glaring, on purpose ommission of product info and facts.

Just what do they mean by 'resin core'?

And am I right, that these are just plated bronze, basically costume jewelry, for $89 plus tax & shipping?

Page 1 of 2
Krimpette1359032840.32710313 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

Not sure how they can be called gold if the stamp mark is shown as bronze. But another thing.....they don't ship until late April????????? I really am not a fan of all these "advance" orders. Especially not that far out.

katkitty1359034771.5974734 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 1/24/2013 Krimpette said:

Not sure how they can be called gold if the stamp mark is shown as bronze. But another thing.....they don't ship until late April????????? I really am not a fan of all these "advance" orders. Especially not that far out.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I think that they get around the truthful info facts on air because they never say "solid" gold. Not on the webpg either. To me, that's deceptive just calling them 14kt earrings. when they are not & then not explaining what they really are (on air). At least you can read past the deception on site.

Q used to be more truthful and explain these facts and not skirt the issues. And why not any very close-up camera shots of the models when the have the earrings on? No model close-up's for any earrings that they're selling today like they used to do!

Advance orders just means they want to collect the money from the orders and then put their order in to the manufacturer and not be stuck with merchandise inventory that they cannot unload quickly. I don't care for that selling tactic either.

Krimpette1359039918.04310313 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007MidAtlantic

I thought they didn't bill for advance orders until the order was actually shipped?

wagirl1359040669.8434735 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

With gold selling at the rate it is per ounce, anything that can fill up empty space in jewlery and not cost much makes sense to me. Can you imagine how much the jewelry would cost if it were solid gold----now days, a small fortune. I don't buy any gold anymore. Or much silver for that matter. Am over all that. I have a lot of gold/silver from years ago from QVC and I don't even wear a fraction of it. So I have been selling it. Got quite alot of cash doing that, I must say.

katkitty1359040704.6574734 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 1/24/2013 Krimpette said:

I thought they didn't bill for advance orders until the order was actually shipped?

Right! They don't bill until shipped, but they are counting on the 'orders' staying intact & not being cancelled. Which, most people do not cancel and choose to wait for the order to be shipped anyway.

It gives them a much better idea of how many to originally purchase to sell. I'm sure that they have some type of formula that x amount or what % usually cancels on orders of that type. That way they can count on not having many left in inventory after filling the 'pre orders' instead of ordering thousands and have less than 1/2 sell.

ennui1359047604.37319957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

It's not rocket science to know that an enormous earring for $89 isn't going to be solid gold.

I think the earring finding is bronze, but that stamp is odd.

Judging from sales, most people don't seem to care if something is resin. Look at that ugly bangle, flying out the door.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

katkitty1359048635.9174734 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 1/24/2013 ennui said:

It's not rocket science to know that an enormous earring for $89 isn't going to be solid gold.

I think the earring finding is bronze, but that stamp is odd.

Judging from sales, most people don't seem to care if something is resin. Look at that ugly bangle, flying out the door.

Then I worded it wrong and didn't clearly convey what I was thinking.

By "solid gold" (which would be very heavy if solid gold!) I was really referring to hosts not saying "all gold" or something similar. . It would have to be hollow gold, like a lot of hoops are these days, to be the "years ago old gold pricing". It is the Gold Rush, after all with "special pricing! lol.

No, I didn't think that those were solid, but "all gold" as per their reference of 14kt gold earrings on the header (webpage) and what they said (and didn't say and conveniently omitted) on the vid and on air.

Only going to the webpage & reading can you find out it was just plated. If I just watched and heard what was said on tv or the vid and didn't read, it would give a false impression of being all gold. Bronze findings? Yuck. How cheesy.

So, no, didn't think that they were solid (and heavy!) gold, but hollow. 14 kt is sturdy, even when hollow (and not made thin with resin or silicone). It's 22-24 kt that's a softer gold.

MistyEyez1359048642.56213 PostsRegistered 11/24/2012
The wish they had 3 inch gold hoops! Even if its silicone filled. If they are inexpensive, Id buy them in a heart beat. Im tired of wearing non gold 3 inch hoops and having to replace them every so often because the plating wears off.

katkitty1359049678.094734 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

oops

Last edited on 1/24/2013

Last edited on 1/24/2013

Bobby K13590633521234 PostsRegistered 12/25/2010The Golden State

I've been watching the 14k Gold Shows....but, not buying. I've noticed that all the pieces that the show hosts states are resin on the inside look like they are just painted with gold or barely even dipped in gold. I feel myself that they have a very cheap look about them. The gold is even a funny color to me. There is no way for $299 on a gigantic 2 inch bangle...that there can be much more than a spray paint of gold over the resin. I realize this is what they have to do because gold is so incredibly expensive....but, some of the pieces (NOT ALL) that are using this method...just look really cheap to me. I'll stick with my Ripka.

ennui1359064300.0919957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

David just said the "bronze" pic is a mistake, and they are trying to fix the description.

David said this is gold day, everything is gold, no bronze, the earrings are 14k over resin.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Bobby K1359066149.681234 PostsRegistered 12/25/2010The Golden State

I was just reading about the electroform process. I did see a pretty status link ring just presented...but, it was silicone filled. Does anyone know if the electroform process...will the gold wear off enentually or is it completely permanent ? I think they can do electroform with resin or silicone. I was just wondering if this process is permanent ? Will the gold eventually wear off ? Does it hold up really well with regular everyday wear ?

millieshops1359067042.2915336 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 1/24/2013 katkitty said:
On 1/24/2013 Krimpette said:

Not sure how they can be called gold if the stamp mark is shown as bronze. But another thing.....they don't ship until late April????????? I really am not a fan of all these "advance" orders. Especially not that far out.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I think that they get around the truthful info facts on air because they never say "solid" gold. Not on the webpg either. To me, that's deceptive just calling them 14kt earrings. when they are not & then not explaining what they really are (on air). At least you can read past the deception on site.

Q used to be more truthful and explain these facts and not skirt the issues. And why not any very close-up camera shots of the models when the have the earrings on? No model close-up's for any earrings that they're selling today like they used to do!

Advance orders just means they want to collect the money from the orders and then put their order in to the manufacturer and not be stuck with merchandise inventory that they cannot unload quickly. I don't care for that selling tactic either.


I like advanced orders - for things I don't need tomorrow. BUt, QVC collects NO MONEY ahead of time from me when I order. They only charge my card when the item ships. Is it different for those who use a debit card?

inky1359067229.897130 PostsRegistered 5/27/2006

Some of the Gold over Resin (or silicone) designs are nice looking, but it is Costume Jewelry.

It has absolutly No Value on the gold market, and has Zero $ scrap value.

For me, I would rather buy a smaller piece of Real Gold (than a large piece of costume jewelry). I've seen a few things I like in real gold, so I will get my Gold Fix.

Nothing Wrong with Costume Jewelry, but I can't believe they are selling it on Gold Rush Day.

{#emotions_dlg.bored}

ennui1359067268.7519957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007
On 1/24/2013 Bobby K said:

I was just reading about the electroform process. I did see a pretty status link ring just presented...but, it was silicone filled. Does anyone know if the electroform process...will the gold wear off enentually or is it completely permanent ? I think they can do electroform with resin or silicone. I was just wondering if this process is permanent ? Will the gold eventually wear off ? Does it hold up really well with regular everyday wear ?

Proper electroform is formed over wax, and the wax is drained out. It's generally fairly strong, because of the thickness of the gold wall.

The new technique is over silicone or resin, and they leave the form inside. I suspect the gold wall is thinner.

The gold should not wear off, but I wouldn't abuse the pieces, either.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Rachelle1359067275.161293 PostsRegistered 9/30/2007
On 1/24/2013 wagirl said:

With gold selling at the rate it is per ounce, anything that can fill up empty space in jewlery and not cost much makes sense to me. Can you imagine how much the jewelry would cost if it were solid gold----now days, a small fortune. I don't buy any gold anymore. Or much silver for that matter. Am over all that. I have a lot of gold/silver from years ago from QVC and I don't even wear a fraction of it. So I have been selling it. Got quite alot of cash doing that, I must say.


Too much resin, and how does it make sense? The prices are crazy for something that is only bathed in gold....

inky1359067684.297130 PostsRegistered 5/27/2006

Too much resin, and how does it make sense? The prices are crazy for something that is only bathed in gold....


I agree - very high priced Costume Jewelry !

katkitty1359070682.5534734 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 1/24/2013 millieshops said:
On 1/24/2013 katkitty said:
On 1/24/2013 Krimpette said:

Not sure how they can be called gold if the stamp mark is shown as bronze. But another thing.....they don't ship until late April????????? I really am not a fan of all these "advance" orders. Especially not that far out.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I think that they get around the truthful info facts on air because they never say "solid" gold. Not on the webpg either. To me, that's deceptive just calling them 14kt earrings. when they are not & then not explaining what they really are (on air). At least you can read past the deception on site.

Q used to be more truthful and explain these facts and not skirt the issues. And why not any very close-up camera shots of the models when the have the earrings on? No model close-up's for any earrings that they're selling today like they used to do!

Advance orders just means they want to collect the money from the orders and then put their order in to the manufacturer and not be stuck with merchandise inventory that they cannot unload quickly. I don't care for that selling tactic either.


I like advanced orders - for things I don't need tomorrow. BUt, QVC collects NO MONEY ahead of time from me when I order. They only charge my card when the item ships. Is it different for those who use a debit card?

No. Already clarified in a following post (above):

They don't bill until shipped, but they are counting on the 'orders' staying intact & not being cancelled. Which, most people do not cancel and choose to wait for the order to be shipped anyway.

It gives them a much better idea of how many to originally purchase to sell. I'm sure that they have some type of formula that x amount or what % usually cancels on orders of that type. That way they can count on not having many left in inventory after filling the 'pre orders' instead of ordering thousands and have less than 1/2 sell.

They used to be called backorders & waitlist didn't they after selling out whatever they first had? Either way, it doesn't seem that they keep a huge inventory on a lot of jewelry items these days because of the cost involved if they don't sell.

Last edited on 1/24/2013

Last edited on 1/24/2013

kittykatkay1359074297.5923127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011

Okay, I ADMIT IT....I'M A JEWERLY SNOB! No, no, no, no, no .......I would never buy anything "resin or silicone" filled and I certainly would not buy "bronze or copper" made jewerly. I have lots of real, solid gold pieces and I plan on keeping them. I have no interest in buying this other type of jewerly that they are presenting. I would rather buy silver pieces or veronese or technibond than the above. At least that has real silver underneath and yes, plated with gold, but the prices would be more reasonable than the silicone/resin inside the gold jewerly.

I love to laugh and dance......

MarthaStew­ardess1359075936.5837378 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Are the pieces that are silicone filled marked in anyway (like the 14k stamp) so that people would know they are not solid gold? Personally, pieces that are silicone or resin filled don't interest me at all and I won't buy it.

OHAR1359077059.3231414 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007
On 1/24/2013 kittykatkay said:

Okay, I ADMIT IT....I'M A JEWERLY SNOB! No, no, no, no, no .......I would never buy anything "resin or silicone" filled and I certainly would not buy "bronze or copper" made jewerly. I have lots of real, solid gold pieces and I plan on keeping them. I have no interest in buying this other type of jewerly that they are presenting. I would rather buy silver pieces or veronese or technibond than the above. At least that has real silver underneath and yes, plated with gold, but the prices would be more reasonable than the silicone/resin inside the gold jewerly.

I'm with you all the way. I would never buy any of this stuff either. So glad I bought alll my jewelry back in the day.

"In order to be irreplaceable; one must always be different. " Coco Chanel

breee1359078249.521213 PostsRegistered 2/1/2008

As yet I have not purchased any resin filled gold pieces.

In 2006 I purchased J7881 multi gemstone cross. It is electroform. My understanding is that it is a hollow piece. Though it is a beautiful piece it is very light and tinny sounding.

ROMARY1359078429.4317544 PostsRegistered 4/28/2010

It would cost "way too much" to buy solid gold jewelry, IMO. If we like the look (wide cuffs, etc.), this is probably the best type of jewelry. It isn't a thin coating of gold that might wear off, I'm thinking.

Yellow Rose

kittykatkay1359078816.46323127 PostsRegistered 2/24/2011
On 1/24/2013 golden mariposa said:
On 1/24/2013 kittykatkay said:

Okay, I ADMIT IT....I'M A JEWERLY SNOB! No, no, no, no, no .......I would never buy anything "resin or silicone" filled and I certainly would not buy "bronze or copper" made jewerly. I have lots of real, solid gold pieces and I plan on keeping them. I have no interest in buying this other type of jewerly that they are presenting. I would rather buy silver pieces or veronese or technibond than the above. At least that has real silver underneath and yes, plated with gold, but the prices would be more reasonable than the silicone/resin inside the gold jewerly.

I'm with you all the way. I would never buy any of this stuff either. So glad I bought alll my jewelry back in the day.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} Me too, golden!!!!! I'm glad I bought mine way back when in yellow, white & rose gold....doing a back flip and a split... ({#emotions_dlg.laugh})

I love to laugh and dance......

Kalli1359082936.8073037 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004

I feel the same....glad I bought gold when it was affordable. I've got a heavy 14K byzantine bracelet - I paid $339 for it back in 2000 . It's 24.5 gr.

Could never afford it today!

I think I'll wear it tomorrow.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

-Kalli

No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2