Top-Rated on Easy Pay
75 Members and 10801 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Resin or silicon filled gold.

Started 1358114328.423 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1358289568 by CalmInTheHeart

My question is, when this hits the secondary market, how does one know it is "filled" and not solid? stamp is 14K.????

Page 1 of 1
LucyGoose1358115467.643290 PostsRegistered 4/19/2012USA

I hear ya. But most silicone filled pieces have that tale tell hole in the back of the piece.

Your tag line here

mdmc1358116449.721649 PostsRegistered 10/27/2007West Coast
Is anyone really buying this stuff.

GinaV241358117359.114448 PostsRegistered 7/23/2010

I am not buying anything if I KNOW it is filled and I love gold but the prices have gotten out of where I buy anything.

lavenderju­nkie1358118318.6912913 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Electroform gold jewelry also has a hole and it's not resin or silicone filled. The hole is used to drain out the wax model that is used in the maufacturing process. So, if the jewelry isn't marked in some way, the only way gold buyers will know is by cutting the jewelry open. If they are buying for gold content, they don't care if the item is destroyed... but... if they find it's silicone or resin filled, they won't buy it, and you will no longer have a wearable piece of jewelry. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

esmeraldag­ooch1358120765.4811959 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

To answer your question. You have no way to know. This was a horrible, misleading idea that will hurt the industry and the general public. They tested the waters with PVC core filled omega necklaces and then slowly lightened the electroform so they would collapse on themselves if they were not filled with something. Let the buyer beware.

People are meant to be loved and things are designed to be used. The problem today is, things are being loved and people are being used. Lets change that.... G.Beck

viwanton1358121096.747814 PostsRegistered 11/26/2011

I will never knowingly purchase filled jewelry. I will only buy pieces that are ones that can be verified as solid.

stevieb1358125042.29328272 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

If every piece I bought was purchased as an investment piece this would concern me. But that isn't the case. I permit myself a piece here and there simply because I like it and wear it without worrying too much about it. As a result, I own a few 'filled pieces' and it doesn't bother me a bit, nor have I had problems with any of them. I have no intention of selling them or melting them down so that's also not a concern. I don't want a ton of this stuff, but I surely can't afford much in the way of solid gold these days so this offers me an occasional option.

MarieIG1358133332.5033479 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007
On 1/13/2013 esmeraldagooch said:

To answer your question. You have no way to know. This was a horrible, misleading idea that will hurt the industry and the general public. They tested the waters with PVC core filled omega necklaces and then slowly lightened the electroform so they would collapse on themselves if they were not filled with something. Let the buyer beware.

ITA

MarieIG

Wife; mother of six (one military); three cats, and one dog. I enjoy reading about beauty, jewelry, fashion, and wellness.

Fortune1358135664.5232374 PostsRegistered 8/5/2009

If, down the road, I bought a silicone or resin piece and found out after paying for all gold, I'd take the seller to court! I don't know how they can get away with NOT marking the jewelry item!!

jerseygirl11358143230.13566 PostsRegistered 2/21/2007

I bought two resin filled Vincenza gold bangle bracelets. They are stamped 14k but to anyone who also owns solid gold bangles, you know the sound solid gold makes and these bangles don't make that sound. That said, they look great and frankly you would never know they aren't solid by simply looking at them.

ennui135814400719957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

Once upon a time, people bought jewelry to wear.

Now, people are obsessed with gram weights and scrap value. Do y'all wear it first, or just turn it over?

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

D Oro1358160225.54069 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA

I love electroform jewelry. I abhor resin and silicone filled jewelry. I speak only for myself however. If you like it, great.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

esmeraldag­ooch1358162751.14711959 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?
On 1/14/2013 ennui said:

Now, people are obsessed with gram weights and scrap value. Do y'all wear it first, or just turn it over?

Sorry Ennui, I have to disagree with you on this. I would have no problem if the items were marked so they buyer and the subsequent owners had some idea what the item was. I want jewelry that can be modified, repaired or sized if I need work done on them. If I do tire of them I do want to be able to resell , melt into a new custom jewelry piece or send them into a refinery like USGB and get cash for my next purchases. When I first started buying gold here at QVC and HSN I used the gram per inch guide when I bought necklaces or bracelets. I still like to know the weight to determine if the chain can safely hold the pendant I am choosing to trust it with.

People are meant to be loved and things are designed to be used. The problem today is, things are being loved and people are being used. Lets change that.... G.Beck

Dee in OK1358170562.58357 PostsRegistered 3/30/2012
On 1/14/2013 jerseygirl1 said:

I bought two resin filled Vincenza gold bangle bracelets. They are stamped 14k but to anyone who also owns solid gold bangles, you know the sound solid gold makes and these bangles don't make that sound. That said, they look great and frankly you would never know they aren't solid by simply looking at them.

I bought a resin filled VicenzaGold bangle and I couldn't be happier with it. Wait...I could be happier if it was solid gold for the same price I paid for resin filled, but that's not happening. Because of certain metal allergies, I can only wear 14k gold or sterling, but there's no way I an afford a set of substantial gold bangles.

This leaves me with three choices-

1. Never buy 14k gold bangles

2. Buy costume jewelry goldtone bangles and spend my days scratching my rashy wrists.

3. Buy resin filled 14k gold bangles and enjoy the look and feel of 14k gold and rash-free wrists.

I'm really happy, that with today's gold prices, there's a way I can still have 14k gold against my skin and enjoy a few new gold pieces of jewelry. I have only one other piece of the resin filled 14k, and that's a gold pendant, studded with turquoise.

Now, if I didn't have these metal allergies, I might feel a little differently because I have seen some lovely costume goldtone bangles that look like the real thing to me - but I just can't wear them.

I'm considering buying a pair of resin filled earrings and one more of the VicenzaGold bangles.

hyacinth0031358171173.246512 PostsRegistered 11/8/2005
On 1/14/2013 jerseygirl1 said:

I have purchased 4. Two in white gold and two in yellow. You would NEVER know the difference looking at them.

I don't buy jewelry to resell it! I buy it because I like it.

Sure, I'd like the all gold version. But, the prices are crazy for them now.

Hyacinth

lavenderju­nkie1358176783.96312913 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Interesting discussion ladies and you all bring up good points. I don't buy jewelry to resell it or for investment purposes. That said, it's nice to have the option to resell jewelry at some time in the future. I've sold gold necklaces and earrings that I can no longer wear or have decided I don't like.

But there is a very important thing to consider.... hollow or filled jewelry generally cannot be repaired. Rings can't be sized, bangles can't be fixed, necklaces and bracelets can't be repaired, etc. This applies to electroform and resin and silicone filled jewelry. It can also apply to 14K jewelry that is hollow and has thin walls, like most bangle bracelets and a lot of the 14K jewelry sold today.

As long as you are aware of what you are buying, think it is an appropriate price, and understand it's limitations, and don't plan to resell it later.... then that's ok.

MrsLorraine1358177687.2133995 PostsRegistered 7/5/2012
On 1/13/2013 stevieb said:

If every piece I bought was purchased as an investment piece this would concern me. But that isn't the case. I permit myself a piece here and there simply because I like it and wear it without worrying too much about it. As a result, I own a few 'filled pieces' and it doesn't bother me a bit, nor have I had problems with any of them. I have no intention of selling them or melting them down so that's also not a concern. I don't want a ton of this stuff, but I surely can't afford much in the way of solid gold these days so this offers me an occasional option.

I think yours is a very sensible approach.

GinaV241358179825.7274448 PostsRegistered 7/23/2010
On 1/14/2013 ennui said:

I buy my jewelry to wear, not to sell for "scrap" as you say, but I like to know the gram weight so I can determine if it is a good value to buy. Once upon a time, I didn't have to worry about it. I knew what I was buying and who I was buying from - probably because there weren't as many options out there as there are now. If I do decide to sell any jewelry for scrap, well, it is the same thing. If I'm selling, I need to know an accurate weight.

I have some items that have been broken through wear, if I can recoup some money for the gold, why not?

Fluffy_21358180435.962704 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012+7803 posts since Aug. 2009

Those pieces look like puffed up gold painted rubber. I am sure they feel or sound nothing like solid gold.

"Don't be afraid of perfection. You will never attain it!" Salvador Dalí.

kelsey171358182686.303456 PostsRegistered 4/9/2012
On 1/14/2013 lavenderjunkie said:

Interesting discussion ladies and you all bring up good points. I don't buy jewelry to resell it or for investment purposes. That said, it's nice to have the option to resell jewelry at some time in the future. I've sold gold necklaces and earrings that I can no longer wear or have decided I don't like.

But there is a very important thing to consider.... hollow or filled jewelry generally cannot be repaired. Rings can't be sized, bangles can't be fixed, necklaces and bracelets can't be repaired, etc. This applies to electroform and resin and silicone filled jewelry. It can also apply to 14K jewelry that is hollow and has thin walls, like most bangle bracelets and a lot of the 14K jewelry sold today.

As long as you are aware of what you are buying, think it is an appropriate price, and understand it's limitations, and don't plan to resell it later.... then that's ok.

I totally agree with you......there should be more information out there regarding this filled pieces of jewelry. I won't buy them. I have spent money on gold and always just thought "i got my money's worth".......not so now...........they charge high prices for jewelry that "looks" like 14kt since it is plated...................I wasn't even aware of the items being unable to be sized, repaired, etc. but of course it makes sense. I love jewelry but also felt it was an investment at the same time. These newer pieces are not investment pieces................i would buy costume before buying these plated, filled items for the high prices.

Clover291358184593.5710370 PostsRegistered 1/19/2008

After buying two hollow gold rings from QVC, I think I'd rather have them filled with resin/silicone because they dent something shocking.

Dee in OK1358184914.627357 PostsRegistered 3/30/2012
On 1/14/2013 Clover29 said:

After buying two hollow gold rings from QVC, I think I'd rather have them filled with resin/silicone because they dent something shocking.

And there we have it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Fluffy_21358185012.742704 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012+7803 posts since Aug. 2009
On 1/14/2013 Dee in OK said:

And there we have it! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I would never buy hollow rings. Earrings - yes, but not rings...

"Don't be afraid of perfection. You will never attain it!" Salvador Dalí.

GinaV241358187769.8574448 PostsRegistered 7/23/2010

I don't know that I've ever bought any hollow rings, although some of the new designs that have no undergallery make me feel like they are hollow. I also find them really uncomfortable on my hand. It's why it's nice when the host shows the ring all the way around and underneath. I agree that they would dent, heck my gold rings that are solid bend with wear.

I certainly have bought some filled rings and some of the gold over silver items and I enjoy wearing them so I'm not a purist here.

I think it's nice for the buyer to have a way to know through some marking if the item is filled or not.

CalmInTheH­eart1358289567.9977048 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

10 years ago, 14k jewelry that was filled with resin was heavy gold. I have a couple of pieces from the old days and they are great.

Today, it's nothing more than resin with a gold plating. I won't buy it.

Last edited on 1/15/2013

Last edited on 1/15/2013

Peace

Page 1 of 1