Just-Reduced Clearance
67 Members and 9306 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Can you put silver in ammonia to clean the stones?

Started 1341791173.53 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1342132192.927 by Shelbelle
Anyone ?

Page 1 of 2
lavenderju­nkie1341791409.45712970 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

No, it will ruin the silver.

Use a mild solution of dishwashing liquid and warm water. Use a soft toothbrush if needed. The solution will clean the stones nicely and won't hurt the silver. Then rinse and dry. Do not soak silver in anything for more than a minute or two.

beachbird1341791505.947312 PostsRegistered 6/30/2007By the River

I have done so for years without any problems.

AliJoi51341939107.2932728 PostsRegistered 8/19/2009The Ocean State

Scotmeg! Never ever use ammonia to clean any of your jewelry (silver, gold, or otherwise)!!! I literally had a chill go down my spine when I read your post. {#emotions_dlg.scared} Not only will it eventually dull the polish and pit the silver over time, but it will absolutely DESTROY (or even dissolve) your gemstones... especially porous, opaque stones like turquoise. Lavender is absolutely correct. There is no need whatsoever to use such a harsh abrasive to clean your jewels. I too use dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush, when necessary. Although, I do avoid repeated exposure to water when I know stones have been glued into the setting. Usually a polishing cloth does the trick. Happy cleaning! Now I will go recover from my near coronary... {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"When I'm playful, I use the meridians of longitude and parallels of latitude for a seine, and drag the Atlantic Ocean for whales. I scratch my head with the lightning and purr myself to sleep with the thunder." ~Mark Twain

ennui1341951438.62319957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

I Google'd and got an article that says ammonia will remove tarnish. I wouldn't try it (I'm a polishing cloth girl), but here's the link--

http://www.ehow.com/how_5855532_clean-silver-ammonia.html

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Sharke1341951806.967991 PostsRegistered 8/19/2010

wal-mart has boxed polishing silver cloths for 5.00 back in the watch dept.

blahblahva­mpemerblah1341953166.8976157 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

So far I haven't been able to top a polishing cloth for a quick cleaning, or a soft facial brush and dish soap in warm water.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

Brinklii1341953535.9910278 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI
On 7/10/2012 AliJoi5 said:

Scotmeg! Never ever use ammonia to clean any of your jewelry (silver, gold, or otherwise)!!! I literally had a chill go down my spine when I read your post. {#emotions_dlg.scared} Not only will it eventually dull the polish and pit the silver over time, but it will absolutely DESTROY (or even dissolve) your gemstones... especially porous, opaque stones like turquoise. Lavender is absolutely correct. There is no need whatsoever to use such a harsh abrasive to clean your jewels. I too use dishwashing liquid and a soft toothbrush, when necessary. Although, I do avoid repeated exposure to water when I know stones have been glued into the setting. Usually a polishing cloth does the trick. Happy cleaning! Now I will go recover from my near coronary... {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I put my gold (without stones) in ammonia all the time. My jeweler told me it is the best cleaner. I asked if I should use it half strength, and he said they use it full strength in the store to clean gold. Guess this is one of those things that you will get a lot of different opinions on.

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

Scotmeg1341954801.351150 PostsRegistered 5/4/2005
Ok Thanks ladies. I'm not sure now haha. I've clean gold and diamonds in ammonia but Not silver. The cloth would be fine on the silver parts but what about the stones itself.

Sharke1341958366.5577991 PostsRegistered 8/19/2010

stones , like Turquoise aren't going to get dirty. precious and semi precious stones set in gold that's held in by prongs I just run under hot water for a quickie swipe. no way would I dip southwestern stones in anything. That stuff in set in with glue not held in by prongs and arent' going to be dirty in first place. Polishing cloths have a cleaning side and a buffing side to them. I just buff over the turquoise/southwestern stones.

Hope, your not dipping pearls in anything ! They're really fragile. I'll post something I found here at the qvc site pertaining to care of, if I can find it.

Shelbelle1341960548.44334456 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Years ago when I got engaged the jeweler told me to clean my diamond ring set in white gold like this. Take a small pot, fill with water, add some ammonia and boil it on the stove for 15 minutes. My diamond never looked so good after doing this.

itslikeher­dingcats1341960569.44039 PostsRegistered 9/20/2010

I don't even trust jewelery stores to clean my things. I almost had a fit when the guy took my tanzanite ring and went to dump it in the hot ultrasonic cleaner! Tanzy should never, ever be in hot anything or shaken up! I decided then and there, I clean all my own jewelry and when I take anything in to be sized, I make sure they DO NOT clean it afterward, I give strict specific instructions for them not to!

D Oro1341960923.394069 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA
On 7/10/2012 Shelbelle said:

Years ago when I got engaged the jeweler told me to clean my diamond ring set in white gold like this. Take a small pot, fill with water, add some ammonia and boil it on the stove for 15 minutes. My diamond never looked so good after doing this.

Shelbelle, are you saying it looked good or bad after using the jeweler's idea?

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

Nightowlz1341961592.3479569 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

When I worked for Zales years ago we mixed up water, ammonia, & a drop of dish soap in the sonic cleaner to clean the gold & diamonds. After we took the jewelry out of the sonic cleaner we dipped it in alcohol. The alcohol will remove any residue from the cleaner & make your jewelry shine.

Smile

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

chickenbutt1341961788.41723840 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

You didn't mention what kind of gemstones you have, but I just wouldn't. Some gems (the softer ones in particular and the opaques/organics) wouldn't respond well to ammonia.

What Nightowlz said makes sense. Gold and diamonds - can't hurt them very easily. Just don't use anything strong with soft stones.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Sharke1341962186.4277991 PostsRegistered 8/19/2010

I can top that story of ignorance. I took in a southwestern cuff that was silver just wanted it cleaned when I got it back they had 'antiqued' it with that awful black background between the stones they called it 'antiquining' I raised all kinds of hale and said "I didn't tell you to make it that ugly coal black I wanted the silver to shine between the stones just wanted it cleaned not made jet black". They removed it and when I got it home a stone fell out ! I managed to get it back in there and mailed it to the place I bought it at online and since it was under warranty/guarantee they refunded my money. Thank God.

People they hire in jewelry stores don't know anymore about jewelry then a chimp. I got a ct and a half block D Tanzanite set in gold, oval, l I paid 750 for yrs. ago. They're not getting mine.

Last edited on 7/10/2012

Last edited on 7/10/2012

Nightowlz1341962252.2239569 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 7/10/2012 chickenbutt said:

You didn't mention what kind of gemstones you have, but I just wouldn't. Some gems (the softer ones in particular and the opaques/organics) wouldn't respond well to ammonia.

What Nightowlz said makes sense. Gold and diamonds - can't hurt them very easily. Just don't use anything strong with soft stones.

I forgot in my post to say we did have a list of which jewelry not to put in the cleaner. It was so long ago I cannot remember. I know pearls & opals for sure was on that list. I remember those 2 since I have both.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Nightowlz1341962763.7379569 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 7/10/2012 Sharke said:

I can top that story of ignorance. I took in a southwestern cuff that was silver just wanted it cleaned when I got it back they had 'antiqued' it with that awful black background between the stones they called it 'antiquining' I raised all kinds of hale and said "I didn't tell you to make it that ugly coal black I wanted the silver to shine between the stones just wanted it cleaned not made jet black". They removed it and when I got it home a stone fell out ! I managed to get it back in there and mailed it to the place I bought it at online and since it was under warranty/guarantee they refunded my money. Thank God.

People they hire in jewelry stores don't know anymore about jewelry then a chimp. I got a ct and a half block D Tanzanite set in gold, oval, l I paid 750 for yrs. ago. They're not getting mine.

Last edited on 7/10/2012

Maybe some jewelry stores are like that. Not at Zales. All the sales associates had knowledge of what they were doing. They had to pass tests before they were hired. We all also had to pass lie detector tests before being hired. I worked in the office so I learned quite a bit when I worked there.

Sharke1341962908.9677991 PostsRegistered 8/19/2010

In October 2002, Tanzanite was added to the official birthstone list by the American Gem Trade Association as an additional birthstone for December. See the birthstone tables for other December birthstones.

Tanzanite was first discovered in 1967 in Tanzania, East Africa. As one of the newest and most exotically colored gemstones, Tanzanite is part of the Zoisite mineral species and is only found in East Africa. Tanzanite is very rarely a pure blue and usually exhibits rich purple overtones.

While Tanzanite is often a blue color when first mined, it can also be brown and is routinely heat treated to permanently draw out its exotic bluish-purple color.

Tanzanite is a brittle stone and although it can be worn daily, care should be taken to protect it from knocks, pressure and extreme temperature changes. Do not use a home ultrasonic to clean jewelry with tanzanite.

Last edited on 7/10/2012

Last edited on 7/10/2012

chickenbutt1341962957.74723840 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 7/10/2012 nightowlz said:
On 7/10/2012 chickenbutt said:

I forgot in my post to say we did have a list of which jewelry not to put in the cleaner. It was so long ago I cannot remember. I know pearls & opals for sure was on that list. I remember those 2 since I have both.

I think I'd add tanzanite to that list. Ooh, I love love love opals - so unlike anything else and I love the ones with all the colors. I have lots of opals and they just make me smile. :)

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

chickenbutt1341963087.2723840 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Oops, sorry, Sharke already mentioned not to subject tanzanite to harsh chemicals, etc. I got interrupted mid-post. :)

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

D Oro1341971453.2934069 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA

You have to be careful with pave stones in sonic cleaners. Your jewelry could come out missing a stone or two.

-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

D Oro1341971485.5174069 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA

Be careful with steam cleaners too. The heat could alter certain gemstones.

-- Coco Chanel

lavenderju­nkie1342009059.1612970 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

While I would never use ammonia to clean silver or many soft gemstones, I know that a very weak solution of ammonia and water and dish washing liquid is often used to clean gold and diamonds. If you do this... be sure it is a very diluted solution.... one capful of ammonia to at least 8 ounces of water. Personally, I find that the dishwashing liquid and warm water do the job just fine, and the ammonia isn't needed.

Something else to consider.... not all gold, even 14K has the same alloys. You never know how a chemical like ammonia will react with a particular item depending upon it's alloys or purity. Why take a chance?

esmeraldag­ooch1342016001.15312034 PostsRegistered 1/7/2008Adopt a Rescue Pet, who rescues who?

This has been a amazing thread to read. Just goes to show you, you better know how to safely clean gems and the metals they are set into, before proceeding.

I don't choose to use ammoiniated jewelry cleaner on anything in my collection.

http://www.riogrande.com/Product/Rio-Jewelry-Cleaners-Concentrate/336081?pos=14

I use this one, notice it doesn't attack base metals?

Last edited on 7/11/2012

Last edited on 7/11/2012

Faith is taking the first step even when you can't see the whole staircase.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Page 1 of 2