Give Gorgeous
124 Members and 12932 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

If I get a Tiffany key, can I always wear it?

Started 1263855012 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1265166358 by Oneanddone
Or will it be one of those fads that will go out and it will sit in my jewelry box?
I want to treat myself and love the smaller oval key. but this is a once in a lifetime splurge for now, and i don't want to waste it on something i can only wear for a year or so.
this a nice piece and in my price range. i also like that it says tiffany on it too!!

Page 1 of 2
Margo Chan­ning126385613813403 PostsRegistered 11/29/2007
It's a classic--much like crosses and hearts. When it whenever you want!
--
Sonny Bono, get off my lanai
I feel like I'm in a dream...but it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers.
I consider myself a good judge of people--which is why I don't like most of them.

It's not the typing, it's arthritis.
NO-ONE puts Leisle in the corner
#BRING OUR GIRLS HOME

pringles21263911595241 PostsRegistered 2/27/2009
I think Tiffany jewelry is a good investment. You can count on it to always make you look good. I think keys are classic.

ella12639144361710 PostsRegistered 5/26/2006
If you're looking for encouragement to buy the key, read the posts above mine.
If all you want is the Tiffany name showing to the world, there are less expensive "status" symbols from Tif.
If you're truly looking for something that will be in style 40 years from now and always appropriate, Tif has many classic silver earrings, from balls to hoops, for under $200 and some are even less than a Benjamin.
--
"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients." -- Julia

"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces, just good food from fresh ingredients." -- Julia

Pie199312639154001811 PostsRegistered 6/25/2007
Tasteful jewelry never goes of style.
--
Nonsense is so good only because common sense is so limited. - George Santayana

Queen Esth­er126392677643 PostsRegistered 10/24/2009
Necklaces IMO seems to go in fads. Remember in the 90's the "Y" necklaces were all the rage. Then in the 2000's we had the horseshoe necklace (aka S*x in the City), then it was the floating stone necklace, the "O" necklace, the journey pendant and now its the key pendant. I think the only true classic that never go out of style is the cross. Just my opinion.

CamilleP12639688513385 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon
I asked myself the same question, many times, before I bought the gold key I wanted. I decided that, even if the key motif goes out of style, I will not care, because I bought this as a piece in memory of my family, of whom I am now the last surviving member. I got the quatrefoil, since it was Dad, Mom, myself and my younger brother in the family. So I decided, fashionable or not, I will always wear this key in memory of them. It's literally the key to my memories.
QVCdebt, if you love that design and it intrigues you, wear it for years to come, and if someone disses you and says "Oh, a key, how 2009!" in a derogatory manner, you can respond with "Hmm, insulting a total stranger, how incredibly gauche!"

QVCdebt12640379454578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York
thanks girls!! i think i am going to make the purchase.
camille, what a beautiful tribute!!
i actually wanted to buy the key as a symbol for my future...a key to open to beginnings. 2009 was a terrible year for with my loing my mom and some marital issues. i just kind of wanted this as a symbol of a new beginning.
thanks again!!
--
Edited by QVCdebt at 01/20/2010 6:22 PM PST

Last edited on 1/20/2010

SDGal1264038284444 PostsRegistered 2/13/2007San Diego, CA
CamilleP, that was a beautiful and thoughtful post. You have a great attitude. Wear your key in the best of health!
--
-Jenn

-Jenn

CamilleP12640402443385 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon
SDGal, since this key has a special meaning for you, all the more reason to wear it no matter what fashions come and go! May you also wear your key in the best of health!
I think, actually, that the key is something of a rediscovered/re-interpreted motif in jewelry. In the middle ages in Europe, the person, usually a woman, who kept the keys to all the locked rooms and chests in the castle was the most important woman in the house. She was sometimes the wife of the current nobleman, sometimes his mother, sometimes his sister, or even his daughter, if he was aging and his wife was already deceased. Whoever had that ring of keys bore the title of chatelaine, and usually wore the ring tied to her belt, so the keys were always with her. She was in charge of keeping the valuables safe, the food stores intact, and the medicines properly made and dispensed at need. The import and meaning of a key is still part of ceremony even in America, where dignitaries are sometimes given a figurative key to a city they might visit. So, even though it's taken a few centuries, women are back to wearing keys as symbols of import and meaning, even if they are bejeweled and only open imagined locks, not actual ones.

Oneanddone12640404106596 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I have a sterling Tiffany key and I LOVE it! It's beautiful and will never go out of style. It's a true classic.
Go for it!

churchmouse1264040556161 PostsRegistered 10/13/2006
Find something that "speaks" to you then it will never go out of style. I have never let the world dictate to me what is in and what is out. If it means something to me I will wear it forever. I also have never once bought anything thinking "i hope i get compliments on this" or "I hope this gets noticed". I personally could care less if I ever got a compliment on anything I have ever purchased for myself.

QVCdebt12640443164578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York
tera, i think i read on another thread that you have the oval key. i am looking at that one, but the small one.
if you do have this, which do you have? i thought the larger one would be too big for me. i think the 1.25 inch is better for me, but i just want to hear reviews on it.

Oneanddone12640462836596 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
>>>tera, i think i read on another thread that you have the oval key. i am looking at that one, but the small one.
if you do have this, which do you have? i thought the larger one would be too big for me. i think the 1.25 inch is better for me, but i just want to hear reviews on it.>>>
Hi QVCdebt!
I have the Sterling Silver Oval Key in the 2 1/2 inch length and I bought the 16" Sterling Oval chain to go with it. I LOVE it!! It's beautiful!
I'm tall...5'8" so the 2 1/2" hangs well on my neck and feels comfortable. But it was a tough choice for me between the 1.25 and the 2 1/2 ".
Either length you go with, I'm sure you will love this key. It really is beautiful! It's very well made, very strong and it's polished and shines beautifully. A beautiful color of silver. Just what you would expect from Tiffany.
I don't think you will be disappointed in this key which ever length you choose.
By the way, I can very much relate to your story of the sentiment of this key.
Hang in there through the tough times, slowly but surely they do get better.
Let me know which one you pick!

Deb77712640467646929 PostsRegistered 6/25/2005
I bought the tiffany plain key... it was big and just ugly ... i should have bought one of the fancier ones but oh well.. I sent it back.
--
:)

:)

CamilleP12640502923385 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon
QVCdebt, I also have the 1.25" silver oval Tiffany key, I bought it first. I have to say, it's a little bit tiny. It is not invisible, but you will not wear it on a long necklace. And nobody without a magnifying glass is going to see the "Tiffany" engraved on the top of the key. However, if you want something to wear 24/7 on a shorter chain, into and out of the shower, working out, running, shopping, gardening, to never take it off except to clean it, that little key is just perfect! The bigger keys, being solid, may be a bit uncomfortable to wear in some situations. Do you live anywhere near a Tiffany store? If so, take a look at both in person, and that will help you decide. Best Wishes!

QVCdebt12641154354578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York
tera and camille,
thanks! i think i am going with the small oval key. i am looking for something to wear everyday and not have to worry about it getting in the way of every day stuff.
i am actually getting it through a friend whose MIL works there, so it'll be discounted. so once i make my choice, it's a done deal!
i'll let you know when i get it!

Oneanddone12641167946596 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
That's great QVCdebt! After looking at the 1.25 key I decided to order that one too. I love the 2.25 inch so much I figured for days I didn't want to wear something that big, this would be perfect!
Let me know what you think when you get it!

grannyjann­ie12641168758723 PostsRegistered 11/17/2006West of the Windy City
QVCdebt, enjoy your key!!! :)
Camille, great to share the history behind this piece of jewelry. :)
--
Fairly Light, green eyes, "warm" :)

Hopeless Romantic :)

QVCdebt12647256694578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York
well ladies, i got my key!! i am really happy with it. it is a perfect size. i am so glad i did not get the 2.5 inch one. that one would have been huge!! this one is perfect. very simple and plain to wear with anything at anytime!!
thanks for all of your help ladies!

CamilleP12647283953385 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon
Glad I could oblige, Grannyjannie. I wonder if the re-emergence of keys in our modern jewelry wardrobe is something of a symbol that we have truly begun to return to a place of equal status and power in our society, where we were for so long treated as second class citizens? Nowadays, we don't wait for our DH to buy us jewelry, we go out, earn our own money, and buy our own jewelry, including keys!
Ladies, WE ROCK! :-D

CamilleP12647284423385 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Oregon
I am so glad to hear that you got your key, QVCdebt, and that it is exactly what you wanted! Congratulations!

QVCdebt12647322044578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York
> I wonder if the
> re-emergence of keys in our modern jewelry wardrobe
> is something of a symbol that we have truly begun to
> return to a place of equal status and power in our
> society, where we were for so long treated as second
> class citizens? Nowadays, we don't wait for our DH
> to buy us jewelry, we go out, earn our own money, and
> buy our own jewelry, including keys!
>
> Ladies, WE ROCK! :-D
camille, i love your way of thinking!! very inspirational!!

Oneanddone12647331976596 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Hi QVCdebt!
I'm so glad you like your key! You without knowing it, talked me into getting the Silver Oval 1.5 as well. I do love my 2.5 but it's much heavier and I wear it when I'm in the mood for a heavier piece of jewelry. The 1.5 is beautiful and I'm wearing it right now.
We both have beautiful keys! :-D

QVCdebt12647348954578 PostsRegistered 7/21/2005"The Gisland", New York
tera,
wow, how funny! i love this key! so glad you got it! enjoy!

cindychats126501293217559 PostsRegistered 6/2/2008
I already had a key pendant. Is this really a fad? I think key pendants and hearts and crosses and circles are something that would always be in style and I think Y-necklaces are still tasteful classics too, and lariats. Cameos, pearls, lockets.
Now the pandoras. Are they one those things that will be a fad? I hope not since people spend a lot of money and time designing bracelets that reflect their personalities.
--
Edited by cindychats at 01/31/2010 11:34 PM PST

Last edited on 2/1/2010

Page 1 of 2