Creede Silver Sale
33 Members and 9715 Guests Online

Jewelry Talk

Trollbead, Chamilia, Donatella, Pandora, Etc.

Started 1295198935.967 in Jewelry Talk | Last reply 1296672948.583 by faeriemoon2

I've love to hear what everyone things about the charms/charm bracelet varieties and manufacturers. I started with an "original" Trollbead bracelet a few years ago, and love the quality of the beads. Then the local mall opened up a Pandora store and I was gifted with a starter bracelet and a few beads. They're pretty and their selection is good, but I've looked at Chamilia and now Macy's is selling a "Donatella" line. Still don't think they look as good as the original Trollbeads.

I have to say, though, I have purchased a few "made in U.S.A. artisan beads" from a great seller on eBay that actually fires the glass and uses the "solid cores," not that pieced in caps.

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2
HappyByCho­ice1295201697.177501 PostsRegistered 12/11/2010

I have to say that even though I LOVE bracelets I have not been tempted by these bracelets....until now. I was looking at my February edition of InStyle magazine last night and the Chamilia ad (full page) totally caught my eye. It's done in a really pretty blend of naturals and pinks (pink has been deemed THE color for spring). Anyway with the Italian Murano glass, Swarovski, gold and silver it's to die for. I'm now thinking I NEED one!!!!

lboone1295206062.7431140 PostsRegistered 9/7/2007Winterville, GA

I still prefer the Trollbeads over all the others! They have a more "organic" lookin my opinion. I just got the Scorpio bead and the Ice Bear. I REALLY want the Australian Christmas limited edition glass set!!!

If you want some unique glass beads at great prices, try etsydotcom and seach for Trollbead. I love the armadillo beads, have gotten MANY of them there (with the silver core, be careful of beads without it, if they slide they will damage your bracelet. Only wear them when the bracelet is full and they can't slide).

Lisa

"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other." -Jack Handey

Marjorie461295206096.633654 PostsRegistered 8/12/2009 Michigan

How do those compare to QVC's perogatives bracelet?

blahblahva­mpemerblah1295206746.8376169 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I feel the opposite about Trollbeads as I find their quality lacking--especially with the glass beads. Chamilia does the best glass beads I've found, but then I always go for the foil and more detailed ones anyway. For the basic variety, you can get those for a lot less at Belk with their Originality line.

Now that Pandora has really stepped up to the plate with detail and stones, I have to choose them over any other brand. I do have a couple of Chamilia beads on my mostly-Pandora bracelet, but when I look at the entire collection, I wouldn't have been able to complete a bracelet from that one brand alone.

Yeah, FINALLY!!!!! Run Trey, run!

basketsiam1295207585.107461 PostsRegistered 6/16/2009

I have 3 Trollbeads bracelets and 2 Pandora necklaces. Overall, I prefer Trollbeads because you are able to put beads from almost any line on these chains. My trollbeads bracelets have trollbeads, pandora, and chamilia. Pandora is much more limiting in what you can put on their chains. My silver pandora necklace has all pandora charms, with a couple Novo pearls. You can not put trollbeads on a pandora chain.

I have an awesome boutique in my hometown that carries Trollbeads. Their sister store carries Chamilia and Novo beads. They have recently given up their pandora line. Pandora is moving to higher-end jewelry stores and factory stores. They will be found in boutiques less frequently as they expand their line to include sunglasses, watches, and more expensive jewlery. I truly miss pandora in my local store, but I understand why the boutique ownesr gave up the line. They simply could not afford to carry pandora's more expensive items in a small boutique in a relatively depressed economic area.

gojo1295208092.2533308 PostsRegistered 4/25/2006

My DH "started" a Pandora bracelet for me for Christmas. He originally bought me 17 pieces which had some reds, pinks and blues. Then I added to it and realized I needed to start a 2nd blue bracelet. Well in just over a month I now have almost two completed bracelets but they can be quite costly. I've never seen Chamilia or Troll beads - what stores sell them?

basketsiam1295210374.753461 PostsRegistered 6/16/2009

You can do a search for store locations at these sites:

trollbeadsus.com

chamilia.com

gojo1295211312.1873308 PostsRegistered 4/25/2006

Thanks basketsiam - going to check there now.

tobias1295231219.042166 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007longisland

just got a pandora bracelet in November and received quite a few charms (silver/gold) plus 2 murano glass beads for christmas...love it...i personally like pandora the best ..tobi

formerly poohbear

dakotacher­yl1295268954.7631421 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008near Mt Rushmore

Let's see if I can attach a photo of one of my mostly trollbeads bracelet...Glass is second to none and they have natural stones, pearls, amber etc. to choose from. Love the silvers too..

Photobucket

Last edited on 1/17/2011

Last edited on 1/17/2011

dakotacher­yl1295269158.6771421 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008near Mt Rushmore

Here's another

Photobucket

dakotacher­yl1295269271.8171421 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008near Mt Rushmore

and another

Photobucket

dakotacher­yl1295269392.431421 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008near Mt Rushmore

and another

Photobucket

dakotacher­yl1295269525.221421 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008near Mt Rushmore

and one final bracelet...you get the idea that I'm a dedicated collector LOL...

Photobucket

mom2laxboyz1295285694.673138 PostsRegistered 2/8/2006

Dakotacheryl -- I LOVE your bracelets! Gorgeous! I found out a little more information about some of the "European" beads -- which would be Chamilia, Biagi -- they are not all "fired in cores." Many of the European beads have "glued in cores." Just a little FYL a jewelry store person told me yesterday.

I'm going to stick with the Trollbeads, just love 'em. Bought the
"Red Feather" yesterday and it's beautiful!

gigot1295300826.3075299 PostsRegistered 10/22/2010

Trollbeads def. that started it all and try to keep a ceiling on prices so I would stick to them. The Pandora craze is really turning me off and I see this style everywhere now-coming and going despite the variety of beads offered. Fear they will become the new beanie baby and see them on ebay in a few years at half the price despite their precious metal content when some become bored just as other jewelry fads seen sold at ridicuously low prices. Sad if a piece given with love is sold if bored or "outdated" to the receipient. My opinion so I myself would purchase with reasonable caution.

dakotacher­yl1295313948.9071421 PostsRegistered 12/12/2008near Mt Rushmore
On 1/17/2011 mom2laxboyz said:

Dakotacheryl -- I LOVE your bracelets! Gorgeous! I found out a little more information about some of the "European" beads -- which would be Chamilia, Biagi -- they are not all "fired in cores." Many of the European beads have "glued in cores." Just a little FYL a jewelry store person told me yesterday.

I'm going to stick with the Trollbeads, just love 'em. Bought the
"Red Feather" yesterday and it's beautiful!

Thx for the nice reply...happy collecting ...

mom2laxboyz1295368422.917138 PostsRegistered 2/8/2006

Well, I learned something today and I feel it would be wrong if I kept the information to myself -- just for those people interested in bead bracelet collecting. Trollbeads are not all made in Denmark or the Netherlands. An eBay seller told me that the originals are designed and made there, but then they bring the bead to large factories in China for mass production. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. And I'm certain that this is the same for Donatella, Pandora, Biagi, Chamilia...I love my Trollbead bracelet, but I'm not just saying it's them. I got an e-mail this morning from a large company that sells authentic Trollbeads, and she confirmed that they are made in China, after being designed elsewhere. SO...one of the posters said to purchase with caution, and I'd have to say that is so true.

I'm probably going to be looking for American artisans (they're out there) that fire their own beads -- HERE -- using sterling tubing.

LovemyHusky1295374553.792871 PostsRegistered 3/4/2010
On 1/16/2011 Marjorie46 said:

How do those compare to QVC's perogatives bracelet?

I have a pandora style bracelet that I bought from a silver store in my area. I found that the perogatives charms were smaller that the charms on my bracelet and the charms on my bracelet have more detail. I think the name on my bracelet is cedora.

tobias1295390208.992166 PostsRegistered 8/29/2007longisland

out of curiousity just looked up the other brands on line (just started a pandora-which i love- in November) was blown away by the beautiful and large variety of charms by the chamilia brand! was going to start a second pandora with a pink theme (my current has two blue beads and about 9 charms) but am thinking about starting a chamilia... any comments on the quality of this line? their charms are sooo cute! thanks tobi

formerly poohbear

mom2laxboyz1295501032.407138 PostsRegistered 2/8/2006

I've learned so much about these lines of bracelets in the past few days, I'm on overload. I've gotten an e-mail from the headquarters of Chamilia, Pandora, Trollbead, Brighton, and Biagi. I wanted to make sure I got as much information as I needed -- I'm not into paying $25 and up per bead anymore, now that I know they are all manufactured in Asia -- well, they say most are produced in Asia, and a small percentage are manufactured in South Africa and an even smaller percentage in the U.S.A. I feel totally duped by thinking my "authentic Trollbeads" (which I really think are very nicely made and pretty) were made in Denmark. So...I think if you love what you have, or think what you're collecting is pretty, then it's a good buy. Enjoy it. Just realize, there are very pretty beads out there (on ebay, etsy, artfire) that are made in China, too, but you can get them for under 5 bucks apiece.

Last edited on 1/19/2011

Last edited on 1/19/2011

Ambersue1295568820.9610 PostsRegistered 1/20/2011

I've seen lots of sites that pop up claiming to sell authentic pandora but I learned that Pandora does not allow internet only retailers to sell their products. I started purchasing Kera beads. They seem to fit with Pandora just fine, they cost less, and they are made in the good old USA. I got a watch bead that is real watch so my bracelet now doubles as my watch! I change the beads out occasionally depending on what I'm wearing or something I take all the beads off besides the watch bead. Here's a picture of the bead - http://stores.jewelryninja.com/-strse-3710/Kera-Bead-Watch-Heart/Detail.bok

Last edited on 1/20/2011

Last edited on 1/20/2011

blahblahva­mpemerblah1295576692.786169 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/16/2011 gojo said:

I've never seen Chamilia or Troll beads - what stores sell them?

You can see the Chamilia line at giftcollector dot com. Sadly, the pictures of the irridescent/foiled glass beads don't remotely do them justice as they really "pop." IMO, you can get pretty basic glass ones from any line, but if you want something a little more detailed and special, then Chamilia has the best. I should add that I have three Trollbeads, and the color was applied to the outside of the bead, and the color doesn't go all the way through. It's the cheapest method of production, and I won't buy from the line again.

I'll also add something else...a lot of the stores out there are selling these types of beads, many will have a sterling core in the glass version, and they're cheap for the basic line. Belk has their Originality beads, and when I was going nuts for glass, I got a bunch for $8 or less each.

Last edited on 1/20/2011

Last edited on 1/20/2011

blahblahva­mpemerblah1295577256.5076169 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 1/18/2011 tobias said:

out of curiousity just looked up the other brands on line (just started a pandora-which i love- in November) was blown away by the beautiful and large variety of charms by the chamilia brand! was going to start a second pandora with a pink theme (my current has two blue beads and about 9 charms) but am thinking about starting a chamilia... any comments on the quality of this line? their charms are sooo cute! thanks tobi

I started with Chamilia, and I prefer them for the irridescent/foil/metallic glass beads. They're the only company that really went the extra mile for this type of bead. When it comes to the silver, they're quite nice, but given my own particular taste, I had to go with Pandora for 2/3 of my last bracelet. The other third consists of three of Chamilia's glass beads, two of the now-retired spacers, and the bird's nest with the pearls.

Happy shopping!

Page 1 of 2