Regular Contributor

Isaac's lace dress~is it the very same one that...

I apologize if someone has already posted this but I was at my local Sam's Club yesterday and they have for sale a lace dress by Isaac that I believe to be the very same dress that was the TSV just a few days ago. It comes in the very same colors as the TSV but I am not sure if it is the very same lace pattern. The dress is lined except for the sleeves~just as the TSV dress is. By the way, the dress is under $20 too. Just a heads up for those that may want to check out their local club store for themselves.

Respected Contributor

Re: Isaac's lace dress~is it the very same one that...

..someome should let Isaac know that some company is putting out knockoffs under his name.

Honored Contributor

Interesting post OP. The price is terrific too.

Honored Contributor

Probably not exactly the same, but if you're not going to wear that lace dress lots of times you might not even care.

I'm a firm believer that most of the time, I get what I pay for in clothing, but it's like anything else. If you can't tell the difference or you have reason to believe you're buying a fad, I'd buy the less expensive item.

About 97% of my clothes are items I know I'll want to wear again and again. I'd rather pay for the quality I want than have to shop for a replacement the next season. I don't remember if this is how I felt 50 years ago! Probably not.

Regular Contributor

On 3/24/2015 Chrystaltree said:

..someome should let Isaac know that some company is putting out knockoffs under his name.

The dress has an Isaac Mizrahi label sewn into it. The quality is very nice as well. Sam's has had several other Isaac pieces for sale in the past ~though none appeared to be similar to the ones for sale here at QVC.

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 cottage~in~the~valley said:

The dress has an Isaac Mizrahi label sewn into it. The quality is very nice as well. Sam's has had several other Isaac pieces for sale in the past ~though none appeared to be similar to the ones for sale here at QVC.

Knock offs always have a well know designer label. That's the whole point. You have to use some common sense with stuff like that. If indeed those $20 dresses in a big box wharehouse store have have the Isaac Mizrahi label, they must be knockoffs. He wouldn't cheapen his brand like that and he wouldn't complete with his QVC merchandise. Not to mention the legal ramifcations with QVC.

Respected Contributor

On 3/24/2015 millieshops said:

Probably not exactly the same, but if you're not going to wear that lace dress lots of times you might not even care.

I'm a firm believer that most of the time, I get what I pay for in clothing, but it's like anything else. If you can't tell the difference or you have reason to believe you're buying a fad, I'd buy the less expensive item.

About 97% of my clothes are items I know I'll want to wear again and again. I'd rather pay for the quality I want than have to shop for a replacement the next season. I don't remember if this is how I felt 50 years ago! Probably not.

...not to mention that no one knows if the no-name dress is identical to Isaac's tsv dress because we don't have both dresses to compare with each other . I suspect the "quality" thing kicks in sometime after age 40; I know I feel the same way that you do. I don't want disposable clothing and I don't something that "looks like" a quality piece. Wear it one summer and toss it, doesn't appeal to me anymore. I know I didn't feel that way 15 years ago, probably not even 10 years ago. We live and we learn.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/24/2015 cottage~in~the~valley said:

Knock offs always have a well know designer label. That's the whole point. You have to use some common sense with stuff like that. If indeed those $20 dresses in a big box wharehouse store have have the Isaac Mizrahi label, they must be knockoffs. He wouldn't cheapen his brand like that and he wouldn't complete with his QVC merchandise. Not to mention the legal ramifcations with QVC.

I don't believe your statements to be true. Do you really think Sam's is going to sell counterfeit dresses? I don't. As you clearly stated, there would be serious legal ramifications.

Let's not forget that Isaac had a line at Target years ago.

Trusted Contributor

I find Isaac's stuff in my Sam's Club all the time. I got 2 colors of his boyfriend sweater for 18 bucks each.

I find with all clothes at Sam's that I have to examine things very, very closely. I find other 'designer labels' there too.

I don't believe they are knock-offs. Sam's is too big of a corporation to go down that rabbit hole.

What I think is that Sam's buys the 1st quality rejects. Defects that are not so 'bad' that they are not saleable. Sam's sells the 2nds is what I think.

I have to measure each arm of a sweater, each leg of pants, test the feel of the armhole at the armpit. Those are tiny quality issues that would knock a garment into 2nds. A sleeve can be 1/4 of an inch shorter than the other. The circumference of the armhole can be a teeny bit 'off', and for some people they would feel it.

But I have found some unbelievable pieces at Sam's because things like a sleeve being 1/4" shorter on a sweater does not bother me a bit. I push up my sleeves anyway.

$18.00 vs $54.00?? Big savings, same designer.

Respected Contributor

I am sure Isaac is selling a similiar line at Sam's. He is putting his name on everything these days. Anything for the mighty dollar.