Fall Fashion Clearance
11 Members and 9829 Guests Online

Isaac Mizrahi Live!

Why are Isaac's items made in China?

Started 1383665162.593 in Isaac Mizrahi Live! | Last reply 1390749997.48 by junera

Isaac lives and works in the hub of the garment world, NYC, while are we still getting our fashion from China? I refuse to buy anything made in China from Isaac or any other designer if they continue to support foreign countries! Isaac is a New York guy and knows what's happening! This is America Isaac! Love your styles but just can't do it anymore. My husband is Viet Nam vet who sewed bodies back together to protect our Country! Thank you for letting me vent!

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next
Vamp1383665328.4111213 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

I presume he does it because it's a lot cheaper to manufacture goods overseas.

Welcome to the boards, Snow Queen!

chrystaltr­ee1383665696.0711445 PostsRegistered 5/10/2010

.....because the great boots that I paid $109 for last week would cost $399 if they were made in the USA and I wouldn't have bought them. Also, some things cannot be manufactured here in the USA, the plants and equipment just don't exist here. Like it or not, this isn't post war 1951 America anymore. That's ancient history. The world is indeed a very small place and we exist in a complicated global economy.

luvmypupz1383665820.664991 PostsRegistered 8/30/2010By the Sea Shore

Cheap labor.

"I confronted the fact that I was not only talking to a dog, but answering for one." - Claire Cook, Must Love Dogs

Kathleen1383666221.43312387 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
On 11/5/2013 Snow Queen said:

Isaac lives and works in the hub of the garment world, NYC, while are we still getting our fashion from China?

How much per hour would you charge to sew a blouse with button cuffs, buttonhole band and stand collar?

Or a pair of pants with a fly front zipper, pockets and belt loop waist band?

Do you know the cost of living here in New York City?

shoppergrl1383667270.733652 PostsRegistered 11/14/2004

It's cheaper and Issac sold his company a long time ago. He's more like a spokesperson and he doesn't make those decisions.

shoppergrl1383667272.327652 PostsRegistered 11/14/2004

It's cheaper and Issac sold his company a long time ago. He's more like a spokesperson and he doesn't make those decisions.

ellaphant1383668962.831458 PostsRegistered 12/13/2010

WHY does Joan River, Dennis Basso, all Q vendors, Starbucks, Apple, etc., etc..

it's way cheaper.....we lost American manufacturing years ago.

fthunt1383669295.6131369 PostsRegistered 12/24/2010

They "BUY" product cheap and resell to us. Do you really think Isaac DESIGNS everything from watches to shoes to the kitchen sink?

Yes, he did sell his company -

imaclothes­hog1383669562.5421136 PostsRegistered 2/12/2006

{#emotions_dlg.confused1} I am still surprised when I see a thread started like this about things made in China, I have to shake my head. Sometimes, I think people like the OP need to enroll in an Economics or Marketing class, so they can educate themselves on how the world works. It is a global economy as someone else wrote and why some can't accept that, I'm not sure. The cost of making IM's stuff in NY would be sky high. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Everything is about money. It is cheaper to make things in China. Period. If you don't want to buy things made in China, that's your choice.

"If you can't make it better, you can laugh at it". ~Erma Bombeck

MeAndMyArr­ow1383669990.5531034 PostsRegistered 8/3/2013Hollyweird-Land of the Lost

Very few brands/items are made in the USA. You can find USA brands at: www.madeinusaforever.com

Some things still made in the USA...(not listed on the above mentioned website are...)

- Cast Iron cookware from Amazon/Target

- NYDJ brand of jeans

- Some Eileen Fisher clothes

- Some OSO casuals on shophq

- A few SG items on the Q

- Fiestaware

- Anchor Hocking

- Arcadia Handbags - mid priced/all leather - made in Italy

You need to research online and you will find brands and items out there...but you really need to do a lot of research to avoid buying products made in China.

This type of question is brought up many times on these forums...it's a matter of doing a lot of internet searching.

And if my memory serves me correctly...all the Irish sweaters Q sells are made in Ireland. LL Bean used to sell sweaters made in Scotland...but they got so pricey that now...they too are made in China.

Last edited on 11/5/2013

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Trix1383671041.183259 PostsRegistered 7/28/2005Chicago, IL

Thanks imaclotheshog and chrystaltree for diplomatically trying to explain how the economics of manufacturing goods in 2013 works.

I don't want to turn this thread political, but it bears saying that some posters seem to have a disdain for China which runs deep. In addition to economics they need to catch up on present social and government aspects of country too. This isn't the old Communist China which our propaganda suggested Americans should hate.

Last edited on 11/5/2013

Trix

Debbie14261383671887.0935278 PostsRegistered 9/12/2012
On 11/5/2013 Trix said:

Thanks imaclotheshog and chrystaltree for diplomatically trying to explain how the economics of manufacturing goods in 2013 works.

I don't want to turn this thread political, but it bears saying that some posters seem to have a disdain for China which runs deep. In addition to economics they need to catch up on present social and government aspects of country too. This isn't the old Communist China which our propaganda suggested Americans should hate.

ITA! We live in the global economy now. Manufacturing of clothing on a mass scale is gone along with the horse and buggy....

IndyShopper1383672287.617244 PostsRegistered 10/30/2013

You'd be paying upwards of $500 for an IM sweater made in NYC. Thousands if it were cashmere.

shwarma1383672826.431020 PostsRegistered 8/14/2008
Very true rant! After my mistaken tag in a Stan Herman (tag says Carol Hochman) garment I truly believe that QVC has one factory for all their vendors. I attempt to search for American made products. Brighton has a nice selection of made in America men's belts. Sure, they cost more than one made in China but I support our workers. Perhaps if we used the American made products we could put our citizens to work.

Last edited on 11/5/2013

funwun1383673780.611301 PostsRegistered 2/3/2013
The majority of goods are made overseas with China being a major manufacturing hub! American Apparel proudly professes their clothes are made in downtown LA...but with the exception of a few companies MeandMyArrow listed...American manufacturing plants are few and far between. It reminds me of a story my friend told me...she went into Restoration Hardware ( popular furniture store) to look for a desk lamp...she asked the SA for one NOT made in China...he went into the stockroom and came back empty handed...not one of their lamps were not made in China! Welcome to the new world!

MeAndMyArr­ow1383674053.611034 PostsRegistered 8/3/2013Hollyweird-Land of the Lost

- Does LandsEnd still manufacture in the USA like they did years ago? Or did they ship all those jobs to China as well?

- I also thought that some of the LLBean items were still made in the USA...

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
- Thomas Jefferson

funwun1383674083.2171301 PostsRegistered 2/3/2013
On 11/5/2013 shwarma said: Very true rant! After my mistaken tag in a Stan Herman (tag says Carol Hochman) garment I truly believe that QVC has one factory for all their vendors. I attempt to search for American made products. Brighton has a nice selection of made in America men's belts. Sure, they cost more than one made in China but I support our workers. Perhaps if we used the American made products we could put our citizens to work.
I think we all would love to support American manufacturing and thus American jobs...but unfortunately our options are very limited! I, for one, do buy from American Apparel and American made goods when I find them but I also buy foreign made goods because that is what inundates our retail outlets...

gardensla1383674344.67318587 PostsRegistered 9/7/2006Los Angeles, CA

There is no stopping globalization and the American yen for the lowest prices possible is part of the problem. Also, thanks to NAFTA there are few restrictions on the amount of goods that can come into the US from China and other trading partners with whom we have confusing relationships.

And, with everything so inexpensive it's all seen as disposable. Been to a Goodwill Thrift store lately? The staff can't even keep up with the donations because there's such a flood of merchandise that's so cheaply made and inexpensive to buy, people wear it a few times and send to charity. If we were paying $300.00 for a sweater instead of $50.00 we'd keep it for years, decades even.

I don't think we can put the genie back into the bottle on this one, but we can try and buy less overall. Not as good for the economy, but maybe a better message about values?

Fortīs fortūna adiuvat

Kathleen1383674716.56712387 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down
On 11/5/2013 IndyShopper said:

You'd be paying upwards of $500 for an IM sweater made in NYC. Thousands if it were cashmere.

To make myself:

A moderately priced 100% cashmere yarn -3 ply weight for a sweater - costs about $55 per skein of 350+/- yards. Takes about 1800-2000 yards depending on size and style.

Even using my knitting machine - fully fashioned - I'd charge more than $500. If I did it by hand on needles - much more than $500.

ChynnaBlue1383675645.1234501 PostsRegistered 5/22/2012
On 11/5/2013 imaclotheshog said:

{#emotions_dlg.confused1} I am still surprised when I see a thread started like this about things made in China, I have to shake my head. Sometimes, I think people like the OP need to enroll in an Economics or Marketing class, so they can educate themselves on how the world works. It is a global economy as someone else wrote and why some can't accept that, I'm not sure. The cost of making IM's stuff in NY would be sky high. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Everything is about money. It is cheaper to make things in China. Period. If you don't want to buy things made in China, that's your choice.

This! It always comes back to the money.

PamelaSuei­n721383675975.403575 PostsRegistered 10/23/2012

I saw a brand of sweater at our Boscov's store called The United States Sweater Company. The sweaters were made in China. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown} (No, I didn't buy any.)

cyndog1383677233.012308 PostsRegistered 10/8/2010California Desert
Because they sold American manufacturing down the river to save a dime. The good news is because of rising Chinese wages and freight costs, many companies are now starting to come back to America and build new plants. And just because millions of things being made in China and exported to us "is just how it is" doesn't mean we just have to accept it and never say anything. Whole American towns have disappeared when their factories were moved overseas and no employment was left in the area. I really applaud the companies that had some morals and stayed because they couldn't let faithful, hardworking employees be without a living, I'm sure a lot of people on these posts have seen their jobs disappear. It didn't happen to me, but my hometown of Detroit is devastated along with many "rust belt" cities as they're called now. I say the more people that speak up about it the better, maybe it'll encourage a few more companies to come back, you never know.

Debbie14261383677805.2975278 PostsRegistered 9/12/2012
On 11/5/2013 cyndog said: Because they sold American manufacturing down the river to save a dime. The good news is because of rising Chinese wages and freight costs, many companies are now starting to come back to America and build new plants. And just because millions of things being made in China and exported to us "is just how it is" doesn't mean we just have to accept it and never say anything. Whole American towns have disappeared when their factories were moved overseas and no employment was left in the area. I really applaud the companies that had some morals and stayed because they couldn't let faithful, hardworking employees be without a living, I'm sure a lot of people on these posts have seen their jobs disappear. It didn't happen to me, but my hometown of Detroit is devastated along with many "rust belt" cities as they're called now. I say the more people that speak up about it the better, maybe it'll encourage a few more companies to come back, you never know.

Luckily we live in what is still a free country. If you want to spend $200 for jeans made in the USA instead of $20 for those made in China, you can certainly do that. Speaking about it does nothing...it is about putting your money where your mouth is.

As for jobs, well, the world changes and people have to change along with it. We obviously need to do a better job with education and training. We import over 100,000 highly skilled people to do jobs that Americans are just not qualified to do. Then of course we have other jobs that Americans wont do because they think it's below them. It is a big problem but wanting the horse and buggy to come back is certainly not the answer.

cyndog1383682646.7232308 PostsRegistered 10/8/2010California Desert
You've made good points, of course, about education and such, but I don't think wanting more companies to manufacture in America again equates to wanting the horse and buggy era to reappear. There are some people of course that consider some jobs below them, but there are millions of people that proudly worked in American factories and would love to again. That's all I'm saying...try to support American made products if you can. I think most of us understand how the world works now, but that doesn't mean we can't express our opinion in how great it would be if more companies considered manufacturing in America again. If everyone just accepted everything because that's how it is, we truly still would be living in the horse and buggy era.

kachina6241383684650.5614636 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004New Mexico
China is where most of the garment manufacturing facilities are located.

Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 4 Next