Frequent Contributor

Our home is a French Country style and I'd like to try growing ivy on our bricks in a patio area near our front door. It would remind me of homes in New Orleans. I'll check with our local nursery on varieties of evergreen ivy that will grow well here in Louisiana. If you have ivy growing on your home, I'd love to hear what you think - good or bad!

Honored Contributor

It looks nice but it can damage the bricks. Isn't most of the brick on homes in LA just facade? I know our house there was not brick construction and just a brick facade. I'd make sure to choose an ivy species that is less likely to causes damage. But all ivy is pretty invasive and tends to take over.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Ivy is invasive and can be very destructive to a brick structure.

Valued Contributor
Our neighbors had ivy growing up the side of their brick home. They had to have that side tuck-pointed because of the damage and the ivy was a bear to get off. How about yellow jasmine on a trellis?
Respected Contributor

We had brick on our house here in VA and we were told to remove it (which was extremely difficult) because it is damaging to the brick. Where we live, it also harbors critters that you DO NOT want that close to your home! HTH

Honored Contributor

Will it harm the brick and mortar? To a large extent the answer is "it depends". Modern cement based mortars (those used after the 1930's) are very hard and unlikely to be damaged by the ivy. Likewise modern bricks are very hard and unlikely to be damaged by ivy. Older mortar and bricks are very risky to expose to ivy. The current condition of the wall is also important to note. Any cracks or weak points in the wall can/will be exploited by the ivy and could lead to future problems. Also bugs love ivy and will live in it which can be troublesome to some. It also provides a good climbing area for mice/rats/squirrels to try and find a way into your home. Some/many structures have had ivy growing on them for decades with no real issue while in some cases you'll find the ivy has done massive damage.

So, in short the answer is if you have a modern house with modern bricks and mortar that's in good shape now, you're probably safe putting ivy on it. If you're living in an older house with older bricks/mortar or damaged bricks/mortar, then you're probably better off not using it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I love the look of ivy growing on homes, but I've lived now in 2 of those homes and I'd never, never, never willing plant ivy anywhere near another home I'm doing maintenance on.

First time I dealt with ivy removal it was because it grew under several pieces large pieces of slate adorning our fireplace chimney and actually lifted it so badly, we had to remove the slate. Never again were we ever able to get that chimney to accept the slate again nor did we love the new look we had to accept.

Now I rent an apartment in an old home that owners over the years have allowed to become covered with ivy. Every place people have tried to remove some of it, it has left "tracks" on the shingles. Those tracks are incredibly difficult to remove when you're standing on the ground let alone reaching from a ladder.

I assume there are places in a garden where ivy is perfectly appropriate, but, no, I'll never let it anywhere near a house I own.

Respected Contributor

I've had ivy on my house and I wouldn't have it again. It was on a front portion of the house when I moved in. It grew up the side of the house and started covering the upper windows. Birds got in it, spiders made webs. It was so dirty I took it down. The roots had attached to the brick and looked awful so I sanded them off. I had to put a chain on the root stump and pull it out with the truck because it kept growing back. I still have some ivy on the cedar fence in the back of the house. I spray it often with insecticide because spiders get in it. Snails also get in there. And, it grows over the fence, across the neighbors driveway and up the side of their garage. I will take that out also when I replace the fence.

Honored Contributor

I have ivy growing on my brick wall outside my kitchen, the only problem is when some of it dies and you have to get all those brown leaves out and the thickness on the ground creeps me out and I have no idea what is hiding inside of it to step into it!{#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I love ivy growing anywhere outside!

Trusted Contributor

I recommend skipping. Critter companies will tell you ivy on a wall is a "rodent highway," and it's damaging on top of it.