Super Contributor

Any experience with Summersweet (Clethra)?

I had intended to plant it in a whiskey barrel in a semi-shaded area. According to the planting instruction it prefers a moist soil and shouldn't be allowed to dry out. The shrub can grow to 4-6 ft and can be invasive if grown in the ground. I thought the barrel might contain the growth for the first years and could be moved if the plant seems unhappy.

Some sites say full sun for best color (rosy red). None mention starting it in a container. I bought it for fragrance and to attract butterflies. It would reside on a cobblestone patio shaded by a Smoke Tree with other partial sun perennials.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any experience with Summersweet (Clethra)?

Go for it! Keep it well watered, as you would any container plant. It's pretty tough. It's a North American native and the fragrance, as you probably know, is outta sight. Marvelous for attracting beneficials.

A whiskey barrel should be ample. I would never consider clethera "invasive". It suckers and "colonizes" the area in which it is grown. I suppose if you were attempting a formal garden it might be a bit untidy. So plant it where it can do it's thing if in ground.

Fall color is a really pretty yellow. You may want to underplant with seasonals as it blooms for a time in summer only. Wow - nice combo with the smoke tree (purple leaved variety?). Semi-shade = perfect. I'll bet you have a nice garden. It's upright habit is also a good foil for other forms in the landscape.

FYI - I've had a Virginia sweetspire (Itea) in a 14" azalea pan for easily more than ten years. I guess it's a Bonsai now. I consider itea and clethera to be birds of a feather as far as cultural requirements.

Dogma doesn't bind me in the garden, except for an adherence to organic practices.Smile

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Just asked my hort husband and he totally agrees with both of you - whiskey barrel is fine. Your new plant is beautiful - attracts hummers too. He also said Itea is a bit more invasive than clethera in fact. He says enjoy it for sure!

Honored Contributor

My grandfather had a clethra in his shrub border and it behaved itself very well. Now maybe that was due to growing conditions there (sandy soil) but it was fine.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

Thank you for the info. Feeling much more optimistic about my choice.

My husband didn't like lawns---too much time, effort and money goes into growing grass. He dug up the front yard and planted perennials. It's now up to me to keep them happy. Lots of digging and dividing, but pretty carefree. I added the cobblestone patio with pots and planters of annuals and small shrubs. Easy to change and maintain. Clethra should be welcome there.

Happy gardening!