Honored Contributor

I have three very large terracotta pots that are planted with hostas. They reside in a shady area under a small second story deck. They have been there about 5 years and never have been cleaned. I have tried a stiff brush and vinegar which did not do much good. My next step is going to a paste of baking soda. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The size and the fact that they have plants in them are limiting my options.

Honored Contributor

Re: CLEANING TERRACOTTA POTS?

I think it's very hard to clean clay pots effectively when they're in use. I'd avoid using vinegar and baking soda, only because it might leach through the pot and get to the plants' roots. It's unlikely perhaps but why take the chance. I'd spray the pots with a stiff jet of plain water from a hose nozzle. Failing that, if it really bothers you, I'd empty the pots and then clean them. The hostas may be pot-bound anyway and appreciate being divided. They'd also appreciate fresh potting soil and compost. If the pots are small enough, I'd soak them for days in plain water; most of the stains will leach out on their own, with minimal elbow grease. In the end, whatever stains remain will give the pots some character and should be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

I used diluted chlorox and water and scrub with a stiff brush. This kills any fungus or bacteria in the pot. I always soak terracotta pots in water overnight before using them. Otherwise the pot, not the plant absorbs the water. Of course this is difficult if the pot is huge.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I use Clorox cleaner spray. It takes away all the green gunky stuff right away. I just scrub them and they look brand new.

Respected Contributor

What part are you cleaning, the outside or the inside above the soil line? (I assume you are cleaning with the plants still in them? What's dirty about them, collected mineral deposits? I don't understand and never clean my pots except maybe to brush off exterior spider webs, etc.

Honored Contributor

On 3/23/2015 happygal said:

What part are you cleaning, the outside or the inside above the soil line? (I assume you are cleaning with the plants still in them? What's dirty about them, collected mineral deposits? I don't understand and never clean my pots except maybe to brush off exterior spider webs, etc.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and these pots have been outside in the rain about 8 years. They have mineral deposits and moss on them. I was just trying to clean the outside because I don't think I can clean the inside lip without damaging the plants. I have already scrubbed them with a brush with vinegar. I looked on-line and there were a lot of suggestion that would not work for me because of their size (run through dishwasher, put in oven, soak, etc).

Honored Contributor

If you can, you can unpot the plants for the duration of you cleaning the inside lips of the pot and just repot the plant soil and all again.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Actually people pay a lot of money for "distressed" pots with a faux mossy, mineral stained appearance.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment