Contributor
I just ordered the Cottage Farms Magic Carpet Sedum and I've decided to try my hand at making a living wreath with it. Hopefully if won't be another pinterest fail, lol. I will update this thread when my sedum arrives and I start the project. Here are some of my inspiration pics. (I plan to pick up a few hens and chicks or whatever they're called assuming I can find them, the garden centers are still pretty sparse here) Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Honored Contributor

I like the idea. You'll have to hang it in a sunny spot, like on a fence or the side of a shed. Also, you can probably get a variety of sedum at the local big box or garden store; i.e. no need to buy expensive ones from Q.

Honored Contributor

I have always wanted to make one of those wreaths...keep us updated on how it goes...they are so pretty!!

Super Contributor

I know succulents are crazy-expensive at many stores, so perhaps checking Craigslist or local garden stores, plant sales, and perhaps even some online places may be worth a check. The good thing about succulents is even if you bought a couple at a store, they'll likely still grow babies and are easy to propagate, which is perfect for spreading some to a wreath.

I'd love to do something like this or a living wall piece, but have mixed results when it comes to succulents and cacti. Both are one of those things that if you know someone who has some, they'd be more willing to give you a leaf, cutting, or chick. My Dad's grown various kinds of each for years and when my parents moved, 30-year-old cacti up to 15 feet high was left on the curb for people who wanted any. I wish I'd taken more, as does the rest of the family! Most of the succulents in containers came with them, like some huge jades. Definitely post your results!

Honored Contributor

That's gorgeous! I was planning to make the framed box that Philip and Jill made, but this wreath looks a winner too. As for Pinterest fails...yeah, we've all had them.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for posting the starting stage of the wreath. I think that I could handle that. Love those sedum wreaths. They just look so unique!

Trusted Contributor

That is really beautiful. What would you do with it in the winter?

Contributor
On 5/21/2015 debcakes said:

That is really beautiful. What would you do with it in the winter?

I used to have hens and chicks in my yard when we lived up north so I know they will live through the winter. I wonder how you water them and how much and how often.

Respected Contributor

Ok, I didn't know what it was, but the picture says it all. They are lovely! I would probably still be able to kill it. I can kill plastic flowers, let alone real ones. I take that back, I can't seem to kill weeds!

{#emotions_dlg.scared}