Valued Contributor

Yea, the Redwing Blackbirds are coming back.

Our yard is full of redwings right now with all the snow on the ground. Of course they are invading the feeders, but to me, they mean spring is coming soon. Love when they start coming through.

Respected Contributor

Re: Yea, the Redwing Blackbirds are coming back.

I am soooo glad that you finally have some of the blackbirds. We have had literally thousands of them, often in groups of several hundred at a time, cleaning out our feeders and suet. I know they have to eat, too, but they've run off most of our other birds. We were anxious to hear that they were moving North. I think they've waited here because the weather has been so severe up North, and apparently they know it somehow. Soon our local birds should be able to eat in peace again.

But we do have a dozen or so robins in the back yard right now, pulling out those worms from the soft ground (lots of rain, and more coming today). A wonderful sight that really means it's almost spring. We hate the summers here, but love the spring and fall.

Esteemed Contributor

No redwings or robins around my vacinity yet. Smiley Sad But I know they'll be around soon. When I hear the redwings, which I usually hear before I see, that, to me, means spring is finally here.

There is a lot of activity at my feeders today because of the snow.

Honored Contributor

We should be seeing them this week with the Grackles...

And in just another week or two, we'll be feeding the Robins too {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Esteemed Contributor

We have neither yet. The cardinals are more active though. That's a good sign. I can't wait for my first robin sighting! Then I know spring is really on it's way.

Frequent Contributor

When your feeder empties out fill it with safflower seed blackbirds hate it but all the other birdies love it especially the cardinals. I love to watch the awful blackbirds swarm the feeder peck around can't find nothing to their liking away they go, I like to fool them put about 2-3 inches of safflower then about half of feeder of "good seed" for my special kids that live in my yard they get their own special treat as they eat the safflower usually later in day blackbirds have moved on.

Esteemed Contributor

One of my favorite birds. I love their tenacity and plainness - and then the beauty that is revealed when they fly. Seeing one perched on a reed in the marsh reminds me they'll be there to eat mosquitoes!
Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

Don't know where all you guys live but here in CT, it'll be a while before they get here! Or at least, survive. We just got another 6" of snow last night - we are buried and I'll bet it'll be well into April before we see the ground. And once the Connecticut River thaws (which is now completely frozen with at least 2' ice from PQ to LI Sound), we'll be dealing with ice jams and major flooding. It'll be a very late Spring and short Summer!

Valued Contributor

I have been wondering just what do the birds do when they are unable to find food in those areas so hard hit with snow on the ground for such a long time. The only time I seem to have the various birds such as Redwings, Cowbirds, Starlings, and Blackbirds is when we have some snow covering the ground. Our 6" we got over the weekend will leave very fast with 40's and 50's this coming week, so the migrating birds will leave. They are about to eat me out of house and home right now. But, I still love to hear that special song of the Redwings.....just shouts spring to me. The male Finches are turning yellow very quickly now, also. Oh, some color and song from my feathered friends.

Super Contributor

nomar-I wonder where you live? I love hearing the redwings because then I know spring is officially here! No sign of them yet but I have seen a couple of robins, heard the mourning doves call a few mornings and also as someone else said the cardinals are more active so it's a sign! I cannot wait, this seems like the longest winter ever here in NYC and we are expecting more snow this week! Ugh.