Honored Contributor

Which Fertilizer/Plant Food?

I'm growing Hydrangeas, Peonies, SunPatients, the Carpet Sedum (TSV), Clematis and Roses mostly. I see the Cottage Farms packets offered and the Bloom Booster by Jackson. I've never used either of these. Any advice or recommendations? Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Which Fertilizer/Plant Food?

I prefer to use something organic, like leaf compost or mushroom compost. Garden stores often carry it, but not the big box stores.

Honored Contributor

I use Espoma Plant Tone for all the plants except the roses. For them I use Espoma Rose Tone.

Most shrubs and perennials can be fertilized once a year, roses need to be fed monthly during their growing season.

Avoid high nitrogen fertilizers (the first number on a bag or carton); these are for foliage and buy fertilizers with higher 2nd numbers (Phosphorus) for blooms and bud formation.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Neptune's Harvest, though your garden may smell like the bay at low tide temporarily.

Fox Farm's Tiger Bloom.

These are diluted in water & available on Amazon. You need to feed more frequently but there's no plant burn.

NOT THE BLUE STUFF!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I just found out about a local grower who has something too, so I have some research to do.