Valued Contributor

This is the second year we have had a strange looking bird eat with us during the winter months. I cannot find him in my books and have not looked on line. I think he might be of the sparrow family, but maybe not. He is between the size of a cardinal and large sparrow. Very dark rusty brown markings with a white chest and long tail. But, the most unusual thing is, he has a top knotch just like a cardinal. He seems to be the only one, as I have never seen two at a time. Any ideas?

Contributor

I'm thinking it's a titmouse. I saw our first one just last year.

Honored Contributor

Is there more than one type of titmouse? A tufted titmouse is gray.

Edited to add: I just looked at allaboutbirds.org and found the oak titmouse. Receptionist might be right, and that's it, except that it sounds smaller than what you describe. You should go there and look it up. It's a great website. It will also tell you what areas of the country the birds will be found in. You might be able to find your bird on that website.

Edited again: Look up Cedar Waxwing. I think that might be it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

A fox sparrow?

Contributor

I've held a Cedar Waxwing when it hit our dining room window. What a beautiful bird! I think Caffeina is right. So, I change my vote from titmouse to fox sparrow...

Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone. I have gray titmouses (mice {#emotions_dlg.confused1} ) and he not that. I thought he was a fox sparrow too, but no stripes on chest unless he is a different breed. Very close with length of tail and color. We do not have Cedar Waxwings in this part of the country, but I would give anything to see one in life. I think they are the most beautiful bird I have ever seen. I will try the website suggested here. Sure would like to know what our visitor is. We also have had (3rd year for her) a female cardinal that is white from her head to below her chest. She only shows up when it gets way below freezing. (part albino??)

Honored Contributor

Let us know if you figure out what bird it is.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

I also would like to know what that bird is.....we have an albino robin that has come around for the last two years. I am such a bird lover...have held woodpeckers, cardinals, orioles, waxwings, juncos, catbirds and don't get me started on the hummingbirds....love, love, love! I had a hummingbird land on my shoulder...what a treat!!

Valued Contributor
On 2/19/2015 receptionist said:

I also would like to know what that bird is.....we have an albino robin that has come around for the last two years. I am such a bird lover...have held woodpeckers, cardinals, orioles, waxwings, juncos, catbirds and don't get me started on the hummingbirds....love, love, love! I had a hummingbird land on my shoulder...what a treat!!

My dad was a hummingbird lover, too! He always had so many in his backyard at all his feeders he hung out for them. Once when he was out there, he found a hummingbird lying on the ground. He carefully picked it up and held it gently in his hand. It rested there for a minute or two then flitted away. He was so thrilled.Smile

Honored Contributor

I'd like to know what area you live in to help you determine it. Sounds like it could be a flycatcher of some sort (google ashthroated flycatcher to get an idea). Birds will also take on different colors depending on the time of year so they can look completely different from summer to winter.

Image result for ash throated flycatcher

ETA: Here is a fun website I like to use to help my identify birds. http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx