Regular Contributor

I'm not a gardener, I don't grow plants very well at all. I live in western Washington and I have two outdoor pots that I want to plant. One is concrete and is a bowl type, about 2' diameter and is pretty shallow. The other is quite a bit deeper and just 1' diameter.

What can I plant in these pots that will look pretty and survive me?

Honored Contributor

Find a really good local greenhouse and talk to them there. They can be so much more help as they are very familiar with the local weather, soils, and will carry things that are well suited to the area in which you live.

I don't trust buying too much from big companies like Q, because I know in this area, we are not the zone most say we are, as we have pockets here that are much colder than the zones most companies place us in.

Local is best.

Regular Contributor

Oh thank you! I hadn't thought of doing that.

Valued Contributor

First of all do they have drainage holes in the bottom? If not, you will have problems unless you put pots in those pots. Also it depends on where you locate them. In the shade, Impatiens are beautiful, in the full sun you have your choice of so many annuals. You will want to plant your tallest plants in the middle and the shorter to the outside. Sounds like they could be just beautiful. I also live in Western Washington and love it here, especially when I watch the news and see those poor people on the East coast suffering.

Good luck to you {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Trusted Contributor
Do they have drain holes?? You need good drainage over there because of the rain.
Regular Contributor

There are drainage holes, and they are in partial sun. Cookie06, I love it here too!

Honored Contributor

I also live in Western Washington. I would go to a good local nursery and ask them. There are many around. Swanson's in Seattle, Molbak's in Woodinville, Sky in Shoreline, Wight's in Lynnwood, Wells-Medina in Bellevue, etc. Can you tell I am a nursery groupie?

Honored Contributor

When you container garden, its the thrill (the taller plant in the center), the fill (the plants around that tall plant) and finally the spill (anything that drapes over the sides of the container if desired).

Happy gardening-- do not use the soil from your property but use the labelled container mix products instead.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

Yes, yes...make sure you have good drainage in the pots..otherwise, whatever you plant will not survive.